Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 05:59 PM

131 posts, read 533,479 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a California Native just a few miles up in Orange County. I have moved around with my family a lot and we want to settle on North County, but I know little of the areas. I did spend a day driving around last week and had some questions.
First:
Married with 3 kids of various ages so schools and safety are important

We looked at Rancho Del Oro mainly. Love the area. Want to get an idea of Oceanside, Vista, San Marcos.

In information and opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 06:15 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
To help determine recommendations, what is your doable budget? Are you renting or buying?

Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 PM

131 posts, read 533,479 times
Thanks for replying. We are looking to buy. 4 Bedroom and some room for an office. Looking at Mid $400,000's at this point.

I also work from home 80% of the time and my travel is all over SoCal so commute is not an issue, but I would like to be able to get the Surfliner easily too when I need to get to LA.

Thanks

Old 03-16-2013, 08:01 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Good schools + safety + easy to get to the Surfliner will cost you more than mid-$400,000, I think.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:13 AM

788 posts, read 1,877,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Good schools + safety + easy to get to the Surfliner will cost you more than mid-$400,000, I think.
Yeah, the only place that fulfills all of these needs is Solana Beach, which is extremely expensive. Here is the ranking of the three cities:

Safety:
1. San Marcos (definitely): There are really only 2-3 bad areas in San Marcos, and they aren't very large. Plus, the city has done a good job sprucing up these neighborhoods with new housing and shops. It's not an eyesore like North Vista.
2. Vista: According to crime stats, Vista has a higher violent crime rate, but a lower overall crime rate than O-side. There are some pretty bad areas in the northern parts, but South Vista and Northeastern (Buena Creek Road area) are nice and safe.
3. Oceanside: It has a worse reputation when it comes to gangs, but they are mainly concentrated in certain areas. Crime has declined significantly over the last decade.

Schools:
1. San Marcos: Overall, San Marcos has higher performing schools at every level. Schools are less consistent in Oceanside Unified and Vista Unified. Also, the facilities are newer in SMUSD. High Tech High/Middle is in San Marcos.
2. Vista: Vista has good magnet & charter schools, which gives parents more choice in their child's education. The facilities are dumpy and declining enrollment is crushing their revenue.
3. Oceanside: In fact, Oceanside Unified has improved greatly over the last decade. Test scores are similar to Vista, but there is less choice in terms of charters/magnets. Remember, that parts of Oceanside (the nicer parts) are actually served by Vista, Fallbrook, and Bonsall districts.

Cost (high to low):
1. Oceanside: Southern California beach town- this is somewhat expected. You may have to pay more for dumpier neighborhoods than you would inland.
2. San Marcos: Housing stock is fairly new and the city is more well maintained. Add better schools, parks, and crime rates, and you get higher property values.
3. Vista: There are a lot of custom lots/homes in Vista with decent acreage. This is definitely a place to get some good deals.

Proximity to station:
1. Oceanside: The surfliner only has north county stops in Oceanside and Solana Beach. Obviously, Oside is the most convenient.
2. Vista: further inland
3. San Marcos Furthest inland

Old 03-17-2013, 02:23 AM

788 posts, read 1,877,453 times
The best neighborhoods based on your needs and budget:

Oceanside- Rancho Del Oro/Ivey Ranch
Vista- Shadowridge/South Vista
San Marcos- Santa Fe Hills, Discovery Hills/Lake SM, Twin Oaks Valley

Discovery Hills would be my choice because it has the best schools, safety rating, and recreation out of all the choices.

Warning: I doubt you'll find a (essentially) 5 bedroom house in northern san diego for $450,000. At least not one in better area.

Last edited by sdhkshdcny09; 03-17-2013 at 02:32 AM..

Old 03-17-2013, 05:00 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losercore View Post
We are looking to buy. 4 Bedroom and some room for an office. Looking at Mid $400,000's at this point.

Thanks
Good luck finding a 4/5 bedroom house in a good school district in SD that is in good condition.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:56 AM

601 posts, read 1,452,017 times
Northern Escondido/Lake Dixon area looked good to me. Newer developments, large homes in your price range.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:05 AM

384 posts, read 980,988 times
You may also be interested in looking in to a brand new charter Montessori that will open in Vista this September: Public Charter School, San Diego County - Bella Mente Montessori Academy : Home There's been a lot of interest from dissatisfied Vista residents. I don't know if this school will be successful, but the nice thing about a charter or magnet is that you can live in the cooler more rural parts of Vista (which have worse schools because everyone send their kids to private schools). My friend has her kids at our science/tech/math magnet school, Casita Center: Casita Center: Home Page and she lives in the most gorgeous home in Vista (on Rudd Rd.; lots of great houses in that area) on 1/2 acre. Casita has an API of 881 and is becoming an IB school; it feeds into Vista Magnet Middle with an API of 906: Vista Magnet Middle School for Science, Math & Technology
If you don't want to chance getting into a magnet or charter, you;;l be tied to certain neighborhoods. For Vista unified, people seem very happy with Empresa Elementary in Rancho del Oro, and I think that Alamosa Park comes in second in that area. In south Vista, Lake scores very well, but people don't like the principal and feel of the school overall (at least the people I've talked to).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego