Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:27 PM

99 posts, read 263,992 times

Advertisements

Visited Del Mar/Rancho Santa Fe area last week. Beautiful area, perfect climate. Saw models of Ferraris I didn't even know were made.

So with all the wealth and perfect weather, why are people so mean and nasty? Everywhere I went, I saw miserable stressed out people. At the Whole Foods in Del Mar, the shoppers have a nasty scowl on their face and a terrible disposition. WTF?

Is it the terrible traffic, high density population? The extreme gap between rich and poor? I don't get it. People need to chill out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 01:38 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,903,542 times
Maybe it is you because I don't have this problem.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:40 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,683,952 times
I'm not from California, but I'm going to guess that despite the perfect climate, when you work from sun up to sundown to afford that ferrari and the million dollar+ house to go with it, you aren't truly enjoying yourself in that perfect climate, hence the scowl.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:57 PM

63 posts, read 141,608 times
I'm from Texas and I've had a chance traveled around the country and Europe. I've found that people in San Diego and SoCal are very pleasant to dealt with compared to other places I've been too. Rude and nasty: not so much!

Old 03-17-2013, 02:07 PM

444 posts, read 665,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoHopeful View Post
I'm from Texas and I've had a chance traveled around the country and Europe. I've found that people in San Diego and SoCal are very pleasant to dealt with compared to other places I've been too. Rude and nasty: not so much!
I agree. Don't see this "rudeness" the OP is talking about. Maybe isolated cases?

One rule of thumb in the The Americas and Europe and Asia: the bigger and more populated an urban area is the likely you'll run into rude individuals. simple.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:13 PM

Del Mar had some of the nastiest people I've ever seen. I'm from Oregon and Idaho. People treat others with kindness and respect where I come from. Maybe it's that Californians are too competitive with each other. Too hung up on the money chase to impress their friends. Whatever it is, I see very unhappy people in California. Maybe the mega mansion in Rancho Santa Fe, the black Ferrari Special Edition and the 20 carat diamond ring hasn't brought the happiness, peace and serenity they are seeking. Whatever it is, the misery runs deep in So Cal.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:16 PM

444 posts, read 665,048 times
You are generalizing a region of 20 million people (SoCal) based on your experiences in some ultra wealthy neighborhoods in San Diego. Seriously??

Old 03-17-2013, 02:16 PM

361 posts, read 748,119 times
It is not limited to southern California. Try visiting Palo Alto or Sausalito (up north) if you want cold, impersonal treatment. The Cali side of Lake Tahoe is even worse.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
You are generalizing a region of 20 million people (SoCal) based on your experiences in some ultra wealthy neighborhoods in San Diego. Seriously??
I was in Huntington Beach, San Clemente, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Del Mar, La Jolla, San Diego, Chula Vista.....all the same with the exception of Chula Vista. Probably the heavy Hispanic influence but people there are a bit nicer.

Del Mar and Rancho Santa Fe were the most nasty of them all. Most people in the restaurants and stores are quite rude. Drivers have no problem with tailgating, cutting you off, speeding into parking spots ahead of you, etc.

Love California weather. Californians as a people, not so much.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
It is not limited to southern California. Try visiting Palo Alto or Sausalito (up north) if you want cold, impersonal treatment. The Cali side of Lake Tahoe is even worse.
Seems like anyplace where the acquisition of money and things is the #1 priority, people are not nice. It's too bad. The weather is about the best in the world. You would think the wealth and weather would bring smiles and kindness to people. It's done just the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego