Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:59 AM

25 posts, read 21,494 times

Advertisements

Hey San Diegoans! My name is Eddy. I need some questions answered on my possible relocation to San Diego. First off, where are some nice areas I can move to? I am in my mid twenties and I have graduated from law school a year ago. I was offered a job with a law firm in San Diego. I will be making about 11k a month. I would like to move somewhere with a young professional vibe. Secondly, how is public transportation in San Diego? Is there an adequate bus or train system? Will I need a car? Finally, how is the dating scene in San Diego? I am mixed (father is black and my mom is Syrian/Egyptian) so I understand there might not be a large population of people who share my same culture. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 12:14 PM

99 posts, read 264,118 times
Eddy....La Jolla is the place for you. Buy yourself a Porsche Carrera and spend about $3,500/mo on a condo and you'll be fighting off the money hungry ladies in SD. In SD, it's $$$ that gets the ladies. Very little else matters.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joryjim View Post
Eddy....La Jolla is the place for you. Buy yourself a Porsche Carrera and spend about $3,500/mo on a condo and you'll be fighting off the money hungry ladies in SD. In SD, it's $$$ that gets the ladies. Very little else matters.

Really? I am from Miami and it is EXACTLY like what you make San Diego out to be. I don't know.... I grew up upper class so that might be why I was so popular with the women in MIA.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:22 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Hi there! I live on Camp Pendleton, up in Oceanside (northern San Diego). I can give you some advice:
Nice areas: coastal cities will be more expensive, and inland areas will be cheaper, but as a whole, San Diego is quite pricey. I'd recommend Cardiff-by-the-Sea, Encinitas, Carlsbad and Mission Beach as nice areas on the coast. Inland areas (hotter during the day, drier, colder at night than the coast, sunnier) are also good. I'd recommend Escondido, Vista (though some neighborhoods there are kind of shady), El Cajon and Rancho Penasquitos.

Transportation: There's some public transportation, but SoCal is very much reliant on the car (not like NYC or Chicago, which have great public transportation). SoCal is more suburban and sprawling, so you'll need/want a car more than taking the bus or trolley. The train is a good way to get around, but it can be a bit pricey and takes a long time.

San Diego was named one of the best (I think 5th place?) cities for dating in the USA, if that helps. I don't know much about the dating scene. Best of luck to you!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post

San Diego was named one of the best (I think 5th place?) cities for dating in the USA, if that helps. I don't know much about the dating scene. Best of luck to you!
Are you sure? I remember reading that San Diego has the largest male to female ratio, with something like 3.5 men for every woman.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:31 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Yeah, I'm pretty sure. I saw it on the news.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:59 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
And he's also possibly moving to LA, SFO, and Seattle.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 PM

1,538 posts, read 1,483,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
And he's also possibly moving to LA, SFO, and Seattle.

LOL good find. Seems law firms all over want the guy.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
$11K per month isn't bad, I don't even make $11K per year.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESpencer84 View Post
I am mixed (father is black and my mom is Syrian/Egyptian) so I understand there might not be a large population of people who share my same culture.
I lived for 45 years in Southern CA. In the last 10-20 years I lived there, I never saw race a big issue.

For the last 20 years, I worked for Orange County Superior Court, with over 1000 people of all ethnic backgrounds. The OC -- which is REALLY conservative and WASP. One of my immediate bosses was openly gay, and everyone loved him and his partner (and if some didn't, they didn't act like they didn't). There was interracial dating and interracial marriages. One of the reasons I loved working there was because it was just a great family 'melting pot'.

If you are accepting of others, have a good personality, are kind and fun, are fairly well educated, not defensive nor apologetic about your race -- you should have no real problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego