Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
^^^This. Jobs are *not* plentiful in San Diego.

(And anticipating the individuals who managed to get jobs recently, that does *not* mean that jobs are plentiful here. It means you are outstanding and/or fortunate.)
Oddstray. Are you an engineer?? LOL. Because JohnSoCal says unless you are an engineer you're not qualified to speak about the local job market for engineers. LOL.

Seriously though, you don't have to be an economist or even an engineer to understand that the job market here is funky.

I do agree that people that are qualified to excel at Qualcomm should do ok but that seems to be the exception NOT the norm.

Personally if you're set up on two excellent jobs/salaries in the Bay Area I'd say have jobs lined up before you quit them to move to SD. I do agree that SD is MUCH better for raising kids but not if you don't have great jobs lined up.

But if you can line up jobs here, I don't think anything beats San Diego for raising kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 PM

358 posts, read 584,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I do agree that SD is MUCH better for raising kids but not if you don't have great jobs lined up.
I thought you said...
Quote:
I'll stand by my advice that SD is NOT for many people out there raising young kidS vs. other cities just due to the cost of living, job market, economy and prices of housing.
Does that mean SD is MUCH better but still not for good for many people out there? Bay area have better job market and economy. SD have lower cost of living and price of housing. So, why is SD MUCH better?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmcstuffin View Post
I thought you said...
Does that mean SD is MUCH better but still not for good for many people out there? Bay area have better job market and economy. SD have lower cost of living and price of housing. So, why is SD MUCH better?
Hey doc,

What I mean by that is for people that have steady/stable/decent paying jobs that are secured with a fairly high salary then it's totally different. Also in the mix I'd add people that have worked hard for many years and built up a significant net worth so that they are making steady cash flow off their investments. These type of people also would fair well in San Diego.

What I mean is that I don't think it's too wise to leave two high paying jobs in other cities on the MAYBE chance you get two replacement high paying jobs in San Diego. I just think it's wise to have things lined up UNLESS you have significant savings that can tide you over until you find jobs.

If you do have significant savings then that changes things but even then I think I'd still say to line up at least one job before moving out here unless you are some big "rainmaker" with a consistent track record of achievement and success or have a monster set of skills/contacts/connections that locals might not have. If so, you probably can write your own ticket. I know people like this and they can typically get a job in ANY major city in the world.

Yes, San Diego has lower housing prices compared to San Francisco but that doesn't do you too much good if you don't have decent high paying jobs.

People say that money isn't everything and I'd totally agree with that statement. But money issues do cause stress for many San Diego families. (Heck, they do everywhere).

Why is San Diego better than SF for raising families? That answer will be different for different families/parents. For me it's a combination of the AMAZING weather (I'm not a big fan of the SF weather/climate), the natural beauty of San Diego, the laidback lifestyle, the amazing beaches, besides housing prices the decent cost of living as the weather is so great you don't have to spend a small fortune on heating/AC throughout much of the year, the plethora of things to do with your kids (Seaworld, Legoland, San Diego Zoo and Safari Park). It's basically "paradise" for kids.

Do you think SF is better for raising a family? If so, I'd love to hear your rationale.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 03-22-2013 at 09:31 PM..

Old 03-22-2013, 09:50 PM

358 posts, read 584,112 times
Quote:
Hey doc,

What I mean by that is for people that have steady/stable/decent paying jobs that are secured with a fairly high salary then it's totally different. Also in the mix I'd add people that have worked hard for many years and built up a significant net worth so that they are making steady cash flow off their investments. These type of people also would fair well in San Diego.

What I mean is that I don't think it's too wise to leave two high paying jobs in other cities on the MAYBE chance you get two replacement high paying jobs in San Diego. I just think it's wise to have things lined up UNLESS you have significant savings that can tide you over until you find jobs.

If you do have significant savings then that changes things but even then I think I'd still say to line up at least one job before moving out here unless you are some big "rainmaker" with a consistent track record of achievement and success or have a monster set of skills/contacts/connections that locals might not have. If so, you probably can write your own ticket. I know people like this and they can typically get a job in ANY major city in the world.

Yes, San Diego has lower housing prices compared to San Francisco but that doesn't do you too much good if you don't have decent high paying jobs.

People say that money isn't everything and I'd totally agree with that statement. But money issues do cause stress for many San Diego families. (Heck, they do everywhere).

Why is San Diego better than SF for raising families? That answer will be different for different families/parents. For me it's a combination of the AMAZING weather (I'm not a big fan of the SF weather/climate), the natural beauty of San Diego, the laidback lifestyle, the amazing beaches, besides housing prices the decent cost of living as the weather is so great you don't have to spend a small fortune on heating/AC throughout much of the year, the plethora of things to do with your kids (Seaworld, Legoland, San Diego Zoo and Safari Park). It's basically "paradise" for kids.

Do you think SF is better for raising a family? If so, I'd love to hear your rationale.
I agree with most of what you said except maybe for the part where you need to have a significant net worth with steady income from investment on top of steady/stable/decent paying jobs. But again, as we agree on, it's really depends upon one's expense to determine whether one really NEED significant net worth to be able to raise kids in SD.

All the things you said makes SD AMAZING for raising is the same reason why I'm here and not in bay area. I don't like SF. I just said they have better paying jobs and more job opportunities. But when you add in the cost of living, you'd come out behind living in SF based on my calculations.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:59 PM

Oh no. I think you understood my post wrong. I'm not saying you have to have a significant net worth and steady income AND a high paying steady job. What I meant is the pressure gets taken off to have a high paying steady job if you have other savings/investments that spin off cash flow. Sorry if that got lost in translation. I type Super super fast so maybe that didn't come across too well.

Yep, we're on the same page as far as SD AMAZING for raising a family. I can't see myself ever leaving this city. We do own properties in other countries and will visit them and spend time there but I think San Diego will always be "home".

Old 03-23-2013, 12:50 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaMom001 View Post
Has anyone moved their family from the Bay Area to San Diego? We are considering it because we feel like the quality of life is much better in San Diego. Our only hesitation is the job market. We are currently in Silicon Valley where the jobs are plentiful but 1600 foot ramblers are selling for $1.5 million cash and often after a bidding war. We both are professionals working for large technology companies. It looks like the only non-biotech companies that are similar in San Diego are Qualcomm and Sony. We'd love any feedback on whether risking the job market is worth it for the lifestyle.

Thank you!
Some people arrange it so they can telecommute and only have to go in to the office up north one day per week or so. Also, several tech firms up there do have local offices down here though, obviously, there are fewer tech jobs here than up there. One thing San Diego does do very well is biotech where it is an industry leader also anything to do with wireless communications will have a great many job openings down here due to Qualcomm and a host of other companies.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:39 PM

1,600 posts, read 939,414 times
Intuit has a sizeable office in San Diego. They'll often let you work in San Diego even though their headquarters are in Mt View.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:35 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaMom001 View Post
Has anyone moved their family from the Bay Area to San Diego? We are considering it because we feel like the quality of life is much better in San Diego. Our only hesitation is the job market. We are currently in Silicon Valley where the jobs are plentiful but 1600 foot ramblers are selling for $1.5 million cash and often after a bidding war. We both are professionals working for large technology companies. It looks like the only non-biotech companies that are similar in San Diego are Qualcomm and Sony. We'd love any feedback on whether risking the job market is worth it for the lifestyle.

Thank you!
Those are the two large ones but there are many smaller operations of large companies (LG, Samsung, Kyocera) as well as a great many smaller locally based companies. some of these links might help you.

Top Companies in the San Diego Metro Area on the Inc. 5000 | Inc.com
List of companies headquartered in San Diego - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
San Diego tech companies can't fill thousands of jobs Page 1 of 4 | UTSanDiego.com
San Diego Tech Map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego