Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 02:52 PM

14 posts, read 32,892 times

Advertisements

I live in Chula Vista, Otay Ranch area and want to take my daughter out of public school. She's gifted and just not getting the challenge she needs in her education. I've looked into charter schools and private schools in the area. She will be going into 6th grade. Id' love to get her into High Tech Middle but the lottery has already passed, and there is even a waiting list for the waiting list which is also a lottery I am thinking about St. Pius X Catholic school even though we aren't practicing Catholics, but I grew up with a Catholic education and think it's good discipline and from the reviews I have read, their academic program is very good as well.

Does anyone have any experience or input on the schools in this area? I really cannot move right now even though I'd love to move to another school district. Any experiences with St. Pius or other private schools around here? I appreciate any advice! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 03:19 PM

358 posts, read 583,926 times
Have you thought about interdistrict transfer? If you're already willing to drive your kids to charter/private school, then why not apply for interdistrict transfer to better middle schools as well that's public. That way, you can save a bit of money from private school and save it for her college?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:11 PM

Oh! I wasn't aware you could apply for out of district? I'm not sure what schools would be a reasonable drive for us living here in Chula Vista, though I work in La Mesa and my husband works in Coronado. I would love to save money for her college instead of private school tuition but I'm also willing to pay for education better than what she is getting right now. I've been looking at charter schools also but don't know a lot about those in the area and really want a school that goes up to 8th grade. Most only go up to 6th and I don't want her to go to another new school after 6th grade.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:10 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Have you thought about private schools In La Mesa?
Christ Lutheran,St Martin Academy,Calvary chapel, Our Lady Of Grace(El Cajon/La Mesa Border)
Both my nieces attended Christ Lutheran in La Mesa,one of the best K-8 in the county imo.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM

358 posts, read 583,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJLH View Post
Oh! I wasn't aware you could apply for out of district? I'm not sure what schools would be a reasonable drive for us living here in Chula Vista, though I work in La Mesa and my husband works in Coronado. I would love to save money for her college instead of private school tuition but I'm also willing to pay for education better than what she is getting right now. I've been looking at charter schools also but don't know a lot about those in the area and really want a school that goes up to 8th grade. Most only go up to 6th and I don't want her to go to another new school after 6th grade.
Since your husband works in Coronado, you can try to do interdistrict transfer to there. I don't know about that school district, but I was considering transferring to Carmel Valley school when I was working in the area and live in SDUSD boundary and that was one of their criteria. Where if you work in the area, then you're eligible to apply for interdistrict transfer. You should look into it.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:36 PM

I think I'll try that, for Coronado. Because La Mesa would be too far for my husband to pick her up as he usually does. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego