Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 06:10 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

I lived and PB and worked in Dowtown, also worked in Carlsbad and commuted from PB. Live in PB by far and away, the commute is super easy and depending on how far you from the freeway is like 10-15 minutes. There is no traffic heading towards downtown from PB in the morning, afternoon traffic is a little worse but not that bad generally.

If you don't want to drive to downtown the Route 30 is not that bad of an option too, I used to take it.

I commuted to Carlsbad from PB and saw the traffic going the other way, no way in hell I would want to deal with that all the way downtown everyday. Coaster is an option though but still takes a while and doesn't run too frequently outside of rush hour.

I commuted to Carlsbad for 4 years because personally I found it boring and too suburban, I prefer central SD way more as it has more going on, more character, etc.. PB does have some annoying stereotypes but I didn't find it too hard to avoid them for the most part, I tended to go to bars OFF Garnett Ave to avoid the stereotypical PB scene. North PB is a bit more relaxed and older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 12:05 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I lived and PB and worked in Dowtown, also worked in Carlsbad and commuted from PB. Live in PB by far and away, the commute is super easy and depending on how far you from the freeway is like 10-15 minutes. There is no traffic heading towards downtown from PB in the morning, afternoon traffic is a little worse but not that bad generally.

If you don't want to drive to downtown the Route 30 is not that bad of an option too, I used to take it.

I commuted to Carlsbad from PB and saw the traffic going the other way, no way in hell I would want to deal with that all the way downtown everyday. Coaster is an option though but still takes a while and doesn't run too frequently outside of rush hour.

I commuted to Carlsbad for 4 years because personally I found it boring and too suburban, I prefer central SD way more as it has more going on, more character, etc.. PB does have some annoying stereotypes but I didn't find it too hard to avoid them for the most part, I tended to go to bars OFF Garnett Ave to avoid the stereotypical PB scene. North PB is a bit more relaxed and older.

Depends when you leave for work. While there might not be any traffic from PB to downtown in mornings, if you get stuck behind a bus or near the schools on your way downtown, you have to deal with that. That's not as bad as some commutes, but might delay you 20 minutes.

And it depends. If you live near the beach, there will always be more traffic. If you live near the bay like crown point, you probably avoid most of that traffic. I don't find the sterotypes annoying, it just is what it is. Anywhere near the beach for a few blocks either way along Grand and Garnett is going to be one of those places you either love because it's parties and bars or you hate because it's parties and bars. Most people above a certain age kind of outgrow PB. And a lot of times it's not even a certain age, it's just a certain personality.

North PB I like, but go up past PB into Birdrock and so on and it'll take longer to get downtown. It's quieter to. It all depends on the OP. There are people who love PB and hate downtown. There are those who love downtown and hate PB. OP needs to figure out who they are and what they like. I would hate to drive from Carlsbad everyday either way.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
Depends when you leave for work. While there might not be any traffic from PB to downtown in mornings, if you get stuck behind a bus or near the schools on your way downtown, you have to deal with that. That's not as bad as some commutes, but might delay you 20 minutes.
I lived next to PB Middle School for 5 years, drove by that elementary school on Beryl by Soledad Mtn Rd, and drove by MB High when I worked downtown, never did that really make a difference. Not sure how one would get stuck behind a bus either, Grand Ave is two lanes in each direction and busses pull to the side to drop off and pick up passengers and cars just go around them. I've never been delayed by busses or schools in my 5 years of living by PB more more than a few minutes at worst, not sure where you are getting this 20 minute delay from.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 AM

19 posts, read 88,199 times
I live in Carlsbad. Not only is the commute long ... 45-60 minutes ... but for big chunks of it you will be crawling along the freeway at 20 mph. It is really annoying.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:44 AM

192 posts, read 251,549 times
I also started my house search with the idea that I would do a short term lease. I ended up doing a longer lease. Reason being is rentals can be really competitive and if you and 5 other people have apps on the same place, you won't be considered with a short lease. Unless you are specifically looking for short term rentals/corporate apartments. There are plenty of places to live in PB, so might as well try there first, then downtown.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:28 AM

5 posts, read 5,447 times
Thanks for your responses everyone. Since the consensus seems to be that the drive from Carlsbad is close to an hour, I think I'll be starting off in PB.

Two more questions I've thought of:
1) How is the parking situation downtown and how much would I expect to pay for monthly parking?
2) sav858 mentioned the Route 30 bus - How reliable of an option is that?

Old 04-14-2013, 05:36 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I lived next to PB Middle School for 5 years, drove by that elementary school on Beryl by Soledad Mtn Rd, and drove by MB High when I worked downtown, never did that really make a difference. Not sure how one would get stuck behind a bus either, Grand Ave is two lanes in each direction and busses pull to the side to drop off and pick up passengers and cars just go around them. I've never been delayed by busses or schools in my 5 years of living by PB more more than a few minutes at worst, not sure where you are getting this 20 minute delay from.
If you leave at a certain time where parents are dropping kids off at school and buses are pulling in/out of the school, you will get stuck behind them. Unless of course you're one of those people who see flashing lights and still drive past the bus.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 PM

39 posts, read 50,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingToSD View Post
Thanks for your responses everyone. Since the consensus seems to be that the drive from Carlsbad is close to an hour, I think I'll be starting off in PB.

1) How is the parking situation downtown and how much would I expect to pay for monthly parking?

Where will you be working downtown? There are a few options in terms of parking decks/lots scattered throughout downtown operated by ACE Parking.

The bus/public transit option is a good one, as well. Some employers even include incentives for employees that use public transit - certainly worth looking in to.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
If you leave at a certain time where parents are dropping kids off at school and buses are pulling in/out of the school, you will get stuck behind them. Unless of course you're one of those people who see flashing lights and still drive past the bus.
I get that but it's not really something specific to PB nor is it really an issue on the main thouroughfares in and out of PB except for Beryl St. Even then the delay is never more than a few minutes at worst.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingToSD View Post

Route 30 runs every 15 minutes through out the day and I found it pretty reliable. It also stops at the Old Town Trolley station if you want to transfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego