Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewzikguy View Post
um there are plenty of jobs, just not qualified people to take them-- 6,000 bio-tech jobs that can't be filled, another 3,000 hi-tech jobs with under-qualified people applying here in SD. Huge mis-match all over the country (and SD) for the jobs that are available.
Sure as mentioned, there are a few decent fields/sectors here in San Diego. However, I doubt many people will argue that the lack of breadth of sectors/industries doesn't exist here.

And it's kind of the chicken and egg type of thingy with these other fields. Part of the problem might just come down to the fact that many people can make more money in other cities. Or even make the same yet pay 1/3 the price for a similar house they would buy here.

Everyone seems to point out biotech or some other hi-tech jobs/sectors that are solid which I don't think too many people will disagree with.

Unless I missed something, I have yet to see people chiming in besides those fields what other fields they find strong here in San Diego? Would love to hear opinions on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 07:02 PM

333 posts, read 704,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
This depends on what you like. I grew up in the northeast and hate the winters. But I lived in south florida for a year and hated the humidity. Winters are nicer in South FLorida compared to San diego though. But summers stink. But there are a lot of people who love the seasons. They love the winters. I don't know why, but some people do. So Ideal weather is a relative term. And honestly if you spent summers in El Cajon without A/C, you'd probably want to move. People spend too much time looking at stats on the internet instead of actually being in the places they want to live/visit.

For me, places like Escondido or El Cajon exist in every state. You get trapped into your towns and that becomes your life. Great places in themselves, but if I didn't like living in suburbia in some other state, why would I want to live in suburbia in San diego?

The reality is because of the cost and the lack of good jobs, a person who moved to San Diego who didn't care for the beach and didn't like downtown San Diego, probably doesn't move here. I mean i've lived in various places and summers in El Cajon suck. Summers in Miami suck. Summer in Seattle is wonderful. Winters in Seattle suck. Winters in NYC suck. Summers are ok, but nobody really moves to NYC for the weather, regardless of season.

That's the thing about San Diego. A lot of people just say "they love the weather." That only goes so far unless you have unlimited funds. And somebody who moved from Miami or Key West or Tampa would say San Diego winters suck. It's all relative to what a person likes/dislikes. To me, if you don't like the beaches at all, you probably don't move to San diego. Or anywhere for that matter that would be close to a beach. Why pay more money to be near a beach if you don't even like them?

And then you get into conversations about Escondido vs Temecula and so on. Not all that much different, probably cheaper in Temecula. And if you don't work in downtown San Diego, probably not all that different to where you need to go when it comes to travel times. Closer to Los Angeles. A case could be made for either town. But then the great 'San Diego' conversation becomes pointless considering Temecula is in Riverside. Hell, somebody living in Fallbrook in San Diego vs Temecula is what conversation? The idea of San diego being the greatest place to live and then comparing places like Escondido and Fallbrook to Temecula become muted because Temecula is in Riverside not San Diego.

This is why when most people who say they want to move to San Diego, probably aren't thinking of Escondido or Fallbrook or El Cajon.
What does any of this torrent of disjointed editorializing have to do with the climate of Escondido relative to that of Bumscrew, Indiana? There might be a slew of arguments against living in Alpine or even Temecula, but climate isn't one of them. Certainly not for those looking at San Diego in the first place.

Not everybody who wants to move out west wants to become a professional surfer. The difference between Escondido and Arlington Heights is basically the weather, and that's entirely the point for a lot of people.

Last edited by DirtMagurt; 04-21-2013 at 07:12 PM..

Old 04-21-2013, 07:40 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playstation4Evr View Post
So, are there any other places in california that are fairly affordable and look just as good as san diego, i dont need to be deep in the city i just wanna be by the ocean.
Fact is, even San Diego doesn't "look as good as" San Diego. If you've never been to California then you're almost certainly relying on popular media descriptions. It's not all hype, but there's a lot of hype in there.

Dreaming is a good thing, as long as you don't forget to insert reality at appropriate places.

Affordable and by the ocean means something like:
sharing a place with a bunch of roommates
some isolated area, probably in Northern California
Baja California, Mexico

Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMagurt View Post
Escondido and El Cajon have better climates than about 99% of the rest of the country. I'm just saying. They might not be La Jolla but let's not kid ourselves here.
This is all subjective depending on people's preferences. As I have said, we lived in La Jolla as well as Poway. Cost was not an issue. We far prefer the weather in Poway than La Jolla. We lived in a nice upper middle class area in Poway and did not have A/C nor did our neighbors. We like the warmer drier weather in the inland areas.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMagurt View Post
What does any of this torrent of disjointed editorializing have to do with the climate of Escondido relative to that of Bumscrew, Indiana? There might be a slew of arguments against living in Alpine or even Temecula, but climate isn't one of them. Certainly not for those looking at San Diego in the first place.

Not everybody who wants to move out west wants to become a professional surfer. The difference between Escondido and Arlington Heights is basically the weather, and that's entirely the point for a lot of people.
My point isn't middle of nowhere, it is Temecula or Escondido. When people say they move to San Diego for
this and that and the weather and so on, it makes sense until you move to places like Escondido. Because somebody could move to Temecula and say the same thing. Except it wouldn't be "the beauty of San diego" it would be Riverside. And most people don't have nice things to say about Riverside. But Temecula and Escondido aren't that different or far apart.

And it is about hype. It's not about surfing. Somebody moving from Texas probably has a picture of what San Diego is or is not. Moving from Texas to Escondido is probably not what they had in mind.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Pedro,

Again, what a great post! I especially agree with this part above. I kind of chuckle when I see people constantly throwing out stats and statistics on what the median income is here, etc. That is fine and dandy but for many people coming out here it can be a totally "loaded" # because it doesn't mean too much in many cases.

Sure, it helps to look at things like median incomes, etc. when moving to a new city but I think some people try to rely on and get too caught up on those figures because any person moving into the area that wants to buy a house, send their kids to good school districts, etc. are in a MUCH different situation than the people that are comprised of this "median income" figure.

This has become a major problem with the internet age. Everybody is an expert at something and know more than their own doctors because they can google it. Or they can look up some statistical model and figure that is all there is to it and nothing else matters.

It's like the "plenty of jobs" BS thrown out by corporations all the time. Companies usually can't find people because they are cheap, not because there just aren't people willing to work at those jobs. If somebody could make a lot more living someplace else and it might be cheaper, then why would they move to San diego? I love San Diego, but why take a pay cut and live in Escondido because thats all you can afford? Now imagine the cheap company... they probably aren't treating their employees all that much better.

We do live in a state where a lot of businesses have moved out, closed up, or plan on moving. Maybe only San Fran seems to be loaded. The rest of the state, the governor of Texas is trying to convince companies to close up and move. Most won't go, but some will. Which means less jobs, regardless of industry.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Sure as mentioned, there are a few decent fields/sectors here in San Diego. However, I doubt many people will argue that the lack of breadth of sectors/industries doesn't exist here.

And it's kind of the chicken and egg type of thingy with these other fields. Part of the problem might just come down to the fact that many people can make more money in other cities. Or even make the same yet pay 1/3 the price for a similar house they would buy here.

Everyone seems to point out biotech or some other hi-tech jobs/sectors that are solid which I don't think too many people will disagree with.

Unless I missed something, I have yet to see people chiming in besides those fields what other fields they find strong here in San Diego? Would love to hear opinions on that.
I wouldn't even say the BioTech industry is strong here. It's better than most other industries in san diego, but at one point, San Diego was one of the top places for BioTech jobs, but then merges/buy outs, funding, etc and some companies moving their HQ to another state, etc hurt the industry. And now it's more like a place that has what, 40K biotech jobs total. That's not a lot of jobs in a county of millions of people. And San Diego is bad when it comes to investments and Venture capital. Which means no new companies being built in any industry. Which mean no new jobs or potential jobs.

There are now more Biotech jobs in Los Angeles than San Diego. A young kid or experienced pro who wants to work in biotech probably considers places like NY/NJ and San Fran before San Diego. Hell North Carolina has more biotech jobs now and a cheaper cost of living. And the weather isn't as bad as NY.

And San Diego just doesn't pay well in any industry. It's almost like many companies in San Diego pay like you live in North Carolina. Except you don't.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:38 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
^^ This. You bet. We closed our office here a couple of months ago (now everyone works remotely) because the PPSF near our clients for office space was ridiculous. Paying CARY or RTP prices would have been VERY much welcome

Old 04-22-2013, 02:17 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
My point isn't middle of nowhere, it is Temecula or Escondido. When people say they move to San Diego for
this and that and the weather and so on, it makes sense until you move to places like Escondido. Because somebody could move to Temecula and say the same thing. Except it wouldn't be "the beauty of San diego" it would be Riverside. And most people don't have nice things to say about Riverside. But Temecula and Escondido aren't that different or far apart.

And it is about hype. It's not about surfing. Somebody moving from Texas probably has a picture of what San Diego is or is not. Moving from Texas to Escondido is probably not what they had in mind.
You have no idea what you are talking about. I have lived all over California both north and south. coast and inland. There is a lot more to California than surfing on the beaches. In fact if my priority was beaches, I would not move to California because the water is much too cold. I lived in SE Florida where you could go in the ocean COMFORTABLY all year but beaches are not my priority so we moved back to California for many reasons of which weather was the major one.

There are many people, including ourselves that prefer living in the Temecula Valley than San Diego. If we wanted to live in a large city then I would definitely live in San Diego but we moved from there to get away from the city. However we like San Diego very much and visit it several times to play tourist. That is one of the advantages of living where we do. We don't to live in a big city but we do have excellent access to both San Diego and Los Angeles as well as other areas.

Of course there will always be a small number of ignorant people that think of San Diego as some stereotypical tropical paradise where you sip cool drinks seaside all day. But the majority of people know better than that and are usually families that just are looking for a nice place with good weather, schools etc. here is no other state that comes close to offering what California does in terms of recreation, weather, scenery, etc. which is why many people move here.

On the other side there are some negatives of which the cost of living is the major one for San Diego, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay area and pretty well anywhere along the coast except for the upper corner. There are going to people, as there have been, that are going to post a bunch of garbage about how all the people are this or that and whatever stereotypes they come up with.

In Summary, California is a fabulous place to live and you don't have to live at the beach to enjoy it. However it is not everyone's cup of tea which is a good thing because it would be even more crowded.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:28 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Yep. I mentioned it in another thread about meeting several biotech employees that just lost their jobs as their company was closing shop and moving across the country. It did NOT make sense for their company to keep this office open so they are firing the staff. We're seeing more and more of that.

I'd venture to guess in two decades biotech here won't be anything special at all. The importance will have migrated to lower COL areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego