Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:34 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playstation4Evr View Post
my question is will it be easy for a barber to make a living out there and still be able to do things that he enjoys in his free time.
How much do Barbers make? Activities cost the same as they do elsewhere. Housing on the other hand......You will need to make a lot more than what Great Clips pays to be able to afford a home. You can always rent but even that will be more expensive than what you're used to I'm guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 05:17 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. I have lived all over California both north and south. coast and inland. There is a lot more to California than surfing on the beaches. In fact if my priority was beaches, I would not move to California because the water is much too cold. I lived in SE Florida where you could go in the ocean COMFORTABLY all year but beaches are not my priority so we moved back to California for many reasons of which weather was the major one.

There are many people, including ourselves that prefer living in the Temecula Valley than San Diego. If we wanted to live in a large city then I would definitely live in San Diego but we moved from there to get away from the city. However we like San Diego very much and visit it several times to play tourist. That is one of the advantages of living where we do. We don't to live in a big city but we do have excellent access to both San Diego and Los Angeles as well as other areas.

Of course there will always be a small number of ignorant people that think of San Diego as some stereotypical tropical paradise where you sip cool drinks seaside all day. But the majority of people know better than that and are usually families that just are looking for a nice place with good weather, schools etc. here is no other state that comes close to offering what California does in terms of recreation, weather, scenery, etc. which is why many people move here.

On the other side there are some negatives of which the cost of living is the major one for San Diego, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay area and pretty well anywhere along the coast except for the upper corner. There are going to people, as there have been, that are going to post a bunch of garbage about how all the people are this or that and whatever stereotypes they come up with.

In Summary, California is a fabulous place to live and you don't have to live at the beach to enjoy it. However it is not everyone's cup of tea which is a good thing because it would be even more crowded.
The problem is you don't live in San Diego. So whats with the attitude?
Somebody who says they want to move to San Diego from some midwest city/town USA isn't looking to move to Temecula. You might love it, and that's good for you, but how many people from somewhere else pack up and move to Temecula because it's where they want to go? Most people I know back east wouldn't even know where Temecula was, much less want to move there.

So I'm not sure what you're issue is. Great, you love Temecula and thats good for you. But most people who are asking about Moving to San Diego, aren't asking "whats it like to move to Temecula." I mean Temecula isn't even in San Diego. It's Riverside. The subject of the OP post was San Diego, not Temecula. Somebody who wants to move to San Diego probably doesn't have the same attitude of just being a 'tourist' once in a while in San Diego.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:31 PM

45 posts, read 72,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
How much do Barbers make? Activities cost the same as they do elsewhere. Housing on the other hand......You will need to make a lot more than what Great Clips pays to be able to afford a home. You can always rent but even that will be more expensive than what you're used to I'm guessing.
Typically barbers make around 1000 per week with tips..

Old 04-22-2013, 06:54 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
You would have to build up a client base first before you would be able to make that.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 PM

45 posts, read 72,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
You would have to build up a client base first before you would be able to make that.
obviously

Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
The problem is you don't live in San Diego. So whats with the attitude?
Somebody who says they want to move to San Diego from some midwest city/town USA isn't looking to move to Temecula. You might love it, and that's good for you, but how many people from somewhere else pack up and move to Temecula because it's where they want to go? Most people I know back east wouldn't even know where Temecula was, much less want to move there.

So I'm not sure what you're issue is. Great, you love Temecula and thats good for you. But most people who are asking about Moving to San Diego, aren't asking "whats it like to move to Temecula." I mean Temecula isn't even in San Diego. It's Riverside. The subject of the OP post was San Diego, not Temecula. Somebody who wants to move to San Diego probably doesn't have the same attitude of just being a 'tourist' once in a while in San Diego.
Do you not read very well? I have said many times that we lived in San Diego for 20 years. We lived in La Jolla which FYI is in San Diego. I worked in Sorrento Valley for 15 years, FYI, in San Diego. We also own a timeshare in downtown San Diego..

It is you that has a problem and in the future I suggest that you read what you are replying to before jumping to incorrect conclusions.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:55 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
Quote:
Do you not read very well? I have said many times that we lived in San Diego for 20 years. We lived in La Jolla which FYI is in San Diego. I worked in Sorrento Valley for 15 years, FYI, in San Diego. We also own a timeshare in downtown San Diego..

It is you that has a problem and in the future I suggest that you read what you are replying to before jumping to incorrect conclusions.

But you don't live in San Diego now. You don't seem to have to commute for work. I lived in Seattle for a few years, I grew up on the east coast, but I don't live there anymore and haven't lived there in almost ten years. I wouldn't start throwing out nonsense about what is good and bad in a place I no longer live.

You like Temecula. You live in Temecula. Good for you. Somebody asking about moving to San Diego isn't asking about what it's like to live in Temecula.

And an ncorrect conclusions comes from somebody who thinks living near the beach means people want to become professional surfers. Many people come to places like San Diego for the beaches. The sunshine. Etc. Doesn't mean they even go in the ocean water that often. It just means they come here for that. How many people move from Chicago or Delaware or wherever To San Diego and wind up in Escondido or Temecula by choice?

Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
You have no idea what you are talking about. I have lived all over California both north and south. coast and inland. There is a lot more to California than surfing on the beaches. In fact if my priority was beaches, I would not move to California because the water is much too cold. I lived in SE Florida where you could go in the ocean COMFORTABLY all year but beaches are not my priority so we moved back to California for many reasons of which weather was the major one.

There are many people, including ourselves that prefer living in the Temecula Valley than San Diego. If we wanted to live in a large city then I would definitely live in San Diego but we moved from there to get away from the city. However we like San Diego very much and visit it several times to play tourist. That is one of the advantages of living where we do. We don't to live in a big city but we do have excellent access to both San Diego and Los Angeles as well as other areas.

Of course there will always be a small number of ignorant people that think of San Diego as some stereotypical tropical paradise where you sip cool drinks seaside all day. But the majority of people know better than that and are usually families that just are looking for a nice place with good weather, schools etc. here is no other state that comes close to offering what California does in terms of recreation, weather, scenery, etc. which is why many people move here.

On the other side there are some negatives of which the cost of living is the major one for San Diego, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay area and pretty well anywhere along the coast except for the upper corner. There are going to people, as there have been, that are going to post a bunch of garbage about how all the people are this or that and whatever stereotypes they come up with.

In Summary, California is a fabulous place to live and you don't have to live at the beach to enjoy it. However it is not everyone's cup of tea which is a good thing because it would be even more crowded.
I know...a little late to the party and just catching up oosts.
Love this post. Do we love the beach? Yes! Did we want to live on the beach? No! Not a fan of the June gloom, and/ or foggy cool mornings. We were so excited to get back to Ca...BUT...we also refused to settle for a cookie cutter neighborhood, where I could hear the guy next door get up at 3am to pee. Don't get me wrong...we like neighbors, but I wanted distance between houses. I much prefer the country like settings to spit and polish neighborhoods. We fpund our little bit of Paradise, with just short of 5 acres. great country setting and i can be at the beach in 15 minutes. As JohnSoCal said...Ca has lots to offer and it doesn't all have to be beach related. We all have different views of what that paradise might entail.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:19 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
But you don't live in San Diego now. You don't seem to have to commute for work. I lived in Seattle for a few years, I grew up on the east coast, but I don't live there anymore and haven't lived there in almost ten years. I wouldn't start throwing out nonsense about what is good and bad in a place I no longer live.

You like Temecula. You live in Temecula. Good for you. Somebody asking about moving to San Diego isn't asking about what it's like to live in Temecula.

And an ncorrect conclusions comes from somebody who thinks living near the beach means people want to become professional surfers. Many people come to places like San Diego for the beaches. The sunshine. Etc. Doesn't mean they even go in the ocean water that often. It just means they come here for that. How many people move from Chicago or Delaware or wherever To San Diego and wind up in Escondido or Temecula by choice?
So you think that moving less than an hour away and staying in close contact means I no longer know anything about living in San Diego. I commuted everyday to work from Poway to Sorrento Valley for several years. It is actually easier now with Ted Williams Parkway (56).

You are the one that first mentioned Temecula in your post that I replied to. I know there are people that move to San Diego to be near the beach. What is wrong is you saying that living inland is like living in the mid-West or wherever.which simply is not true.

I am not going to continue this discussion with you because it is pointless. You are like many people that arrive here and become self appointed experts on living in Southern California.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playstation4Evr View Post
Typically barbers make around 1000 per week with tips..
Wow. I guess I'm in the wrong business. So if you're taking home $1000/week that's about $80,000/year before taxes. I didnt know barbers made as much as Software Engineers and Financial Analysts. You sir, have it made. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics you make double the income of those Hair Stylists/Hair Dressers that are in the upper 90th percentile. Where do I sign up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego