Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:19 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times

Advertisements

I grew up in that neighborhood and worked at that Jack in the Box when I was a kid. I lived in North Park over 40 years, through the good and the bad. I still own a house about three blocks from this location, although I rent it out and I am no longer a city resident, I care very much what happens in North Park.

With all that being said, I could care less about that Jack in the Box. I drove by it a few days ago and it seems they did a good job remodeling it. The appearance does not seem offensive to me. That Jack in the Box has been there a long time, much like I was there a long time. It has stood the test of time and is a fixture there. Don't get me wrong, I love the direction NP is going. But it seems that in this specific case, the "style police" lost and they are pissed. This is not the first time they have lost and started crying and whining. Move on to the next project, I say.

I am not that big of a fan of Jack in the Box food, but I guarantee they will continue to be hopping and earn revenue not only for their shareholders but taxes for the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 06:14 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
I grew up in that neighborhood and worked at that Jack in the Box when I was a kid. I lived in North Park over 40 years, through the good and the bad. I still own a house about three blocks from this location, although I rent it out and I am no longer a city resident, I care very much what happens in North Park.

With all that being said, I could care less about that Jack in the Box. I drove by it a few days ago and it seems they did a good job remodeling it. The appearance does not seem offensive to me. That Jack in the Box has been there a long time, much like I was there a long time. It has stood the test of time and is a fixture there. Don't get me wrong, I love the direction NP is going. But it seems that in this specific case, the "style police" lost and they are pissed. This is not the first time they have lost and started crying and whining. Move on to the next project, I say.

I am not that big of a fan of Jack in the Box food, but I guarantee they will continue to be hopping and earn revenue not only for their shareholders but taxes for the city.
I guess the Jack in the Box is not the image they want for their neighborhood and what's worse for them, it is almost the center piece for that area as it sits right at the top of 30th before you have to turn left on Upas for a few yards before you can turn right and proceed on 30th. Its funny, the Jack in the Box stands out in my head and I go to that area maybe only once every couple of months now but because of where it is, it just stands out.

I am all for small businesses and pedestrian friendly neighborhoods, but that Jack in the Box with drive through has always been there. It sounds like from reading this thread that they've managed to push other businesses out.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:50 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I am all for small businesses and pedestrian friendly neighborhoods, but that Jack in the Box with drive through has always been there. It sounds like from reading this thread that they've managed to push other businesses out.
That area was commercially marginal for decades. JIB, the wolf bar and that liquor store. The junk furniture place. A smelly old coffee shop. Free clinic up the block. Veterinarian, the Catholic School. A soccer shop. Jack in the Box outlasted em' all. It's only been the past few years that the nicer restaurants moved in. Lefty's was the pioneer, then the sushi place, then Alexanders, they got the foothold and it's taken off.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:26 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
The biggest problem with JIB is that the Community Plan banned Drive Thrus in this location back in the 1980s. JIB's Drive Thru was grandfathered in as an existing use, but if the building were demolished, expanded, or remodeled (I think having something to with 20% in size or 50% in value spent - don't quote me on that), the Drive Thru HAD to be removed.

Somehow, JIB found a way, I think it was through how the value of the remodel work or the size of the expansion was calculated to sneak through a new building By Right at Development Services rather than through a discretionary process. They had previously tried the discretionary process to do the remodel and keep the Drive Thru and both the Planning Group and Planning Commission DENIED the permit. The Planning Commission doesn't say no very often.

Now that the building has been renewed and rehabilitated, the Drive Thru will be there for another 50 years, operating until 2am, and bothering the occupants of the single family homes near by.

Edit: For die hards, I could try to figure out a way to post the 6 page memo from Todd Gloria on this topic.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:24 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
They're also complaining because the old Coco's location on ECB is going to be a 7-11, complete with gas pumps. They also complained when a 7-11 opened up at 32nd & University.

I guess nothing makes them happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego