Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 02:45 PM

241 posts, read 429,485 times

Advertisements

Sense moving to San diego has any transplants from colder climates catch less colds or flu because of the warmer climates? It seems like I get sick at least once a year here in Pa during winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 03:04 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Yes. Maybe b/c the herds of people can spend less time indoors reducing transmission rates due to the yearly ambient temps here.

PA, makes me think of this song but more the Billy Joel version not the Zack Galifinackis one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O7HoFx7fP4

Old 04-19-2013, 01:24 AM

182 posts, read 328,128 times
Moved from Colorado and I went home over the holidays and was sick twice while there. Once I got back in January we've not had any colds and have noticed very few sick people out here. Everyone I know back home has been sick all winter so I think there is something to it. However the pollen out here is crazy (never had to wash my car so much for being coated in pollen) so if you have allergy problems I think it could be pretty bad for you.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:49 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,692,833 times
Colds have nothing to do with the cold. Colds have to do with our immune system. I think Californians may be generally more healthy because they are outside more and moving more. And -- look it up -- warmer climates breed more germs, diseases, illnesses. And BUGS (the crawly kind LOL)! Also elevation has something to do with health. San Diego is at sea level.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:08 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Been here almost a decade. Think I got 'sick' once in all honesty.

Allergies are a bigger issue here. Have had allergies that made me like I had the flu in some cases for 2 days then fine. Darned Santa Anas.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:54 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Trvl View Post
Moved from Colorado and I went home over the holidays and was sick twice while there. Once I got back in January we've not had any colds and have noticed very few sick people out here. Everyone I know back home has been sick all winter so I think there is something to it.
That explains it, L2T. We've been sick the entire 6-mos we've been in Denver... both of us still feel 150-yrs old, ill & lacking energy. Normally, he runs triathlons, plays basketball & lifts weights & I'm a walker, swimmer & do yoga... & we've both always been healthy... been so ill since here, we've done virtually nothing physical. Can't wait to be back in SD.

Quote:
However the pollen out here is crazy (never had to wash my car so much for being coated in pollen) so if you have allergy problems I think it could be pretty bad for you.
I guess it depends upon allergy... I've had the opposite experience. Allergy problems for both of us since here... fine & dandy in CA. Neither of us ever had allergies before. This is getting awfully tiring.

If I ever leave the ocean again for any length of time, I told the SO to call a mental health professional as I'd obviously be in dire need of a little lie down.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:03 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,692,833 times
Patanjali -- it's the altitude!! You're not particularly 'sick' -- you just need to get back to sea level.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:55 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
No,but we had the opposite. Moved from Northern Ca to Texas. The whole family was sick constantly. Drs explained we were moving from a nice dry climate to 80% humidity, where bacteria thrived. Took over a year for us all to acclimate.
Back to Ca. And thankfully, NO sickness...even with my husbands, little to no, immune system!

Old 04-19-2013, 08:34 PM

241 posts, read 429,485 times
It seems that living in a warm dry climate less winter colds.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:04 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Patanjali -- it's the altitude!! You're not particularly 'sick' -- you just need to get back to sea level.
Fran... you're right. Others have mentioned that, as well as the dryness being 'feeling sick' factors. Although San Diego is dryer than I'm used to (I'd normally lived in high humidity locales), I didn't experience the same high levels of dryness, like nosebleeds, constant thirst & unbelievably dry skin. Humidifiers (yes, plural) running 24-hrs makes some difference, but not enough. Skin care companies are making a fortune on the $$$ moisturizers I'm plonking away money on (for both of us), as are companies selling electrified water. We're trying anything to stay hydrated... I'm thinking of taking to living in a filled bathtub & not leaving 'til the lease ends. Underwater breathing can't be that difficult to learn.

There's a bit of something else, too... we started off with a particularly nasty bout of food poisoning when we arrived (from the lovely Red Rocks Ship Rock Grille restaurant ), which had us feeling grim for weeks & has terribly compromised out immune systems, it appears... we just seem to catch colds/flues & in general, feel grim since then. Very abnormal for both of us to be ill in any way. We were supposed to go to Morton's for my b'day on Tues... both of us slumped on the sofa at 2pm & he kept giving me the 'I don't have enough energy to stay awake for dinner' look, so we both happily cancelled. We rescheduled for yesterday & felt the same, so postponed again. I finally said, "We need to get back to SoCal, so I can have a b'day!"

Yes, we need sea level. Humans are such fragile creatures, it's amazing any of us live passed 30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego