Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 4,457 times

Advertisements

Alright, so yes I have researched this site thoroughly but whenever I tell my fiance what I've read he disregards it since it was pertaining to someone else. So, I just need to ask a few questions.

We have a daughter, aboout to enter elementary school. He is from San Diego but we are currently living out of state. He recently started looking at homes in Normal Heights. I'm just wondering how safe for a family is it there? Are there a lot of burgleries and crime? I, personally, am really wanting to live somewhere walkable, family oriented and safe parks to go to.

Also, what about the schools? How are they academically, how is the environment for the children? We wouldn't be able to afford most if not all the private schools in the area so our daughter would have to go to the local public schools.

So, if someone could please help me out that would be great, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,117 times
Schools in San Diego are hit-or-miss. My neices went to Adams Avenue Elementary, around 15 years ago. I would *not* recommend it!

Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
The neighborhood is reasonably safe (as is nearly all of San Diego) but is still an inner-city, urban area with all that comes with it - lots of traffic and congestion as well as the typical inner-city issues of litter, petty theft, drug selling and rarely more serious (sometimes violent) street crime. It is really geared more towards 20-30-40 something bar and restaurant scene vs. families. The schools are IMO absolutely horrendous.

If you were to move to Normal Heights it's because you are a savvy urban parent who understands all the ins-and-outs of raising kids in a city environment, and recognizes that just because an area has lots of cute little single-family homes, with white picket fences, it's still an urban environment. Parents fitting this profile will enjoy the area because it's very central, affordable, and has a nicely growing bar and restaurant scene.

Kensington next door is the big step up in family-friendliness as well as housing costs.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 04-29-2013 at 05:32 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 PM

490 posts, read 1,555,190 times
I live in NH & teach in San Diego Unified. This question must be asked: are you a Hispanic family, or white, Asian, or mixed? If white, you may want to look at living in South Park, send you daughter to Albert Einstein Academy. If mixed/ Hispanic, then I would live in Normal Heights & have your daughter go to Normal Heights school. Another option is to live in University Heights, nice park and many restaurants. Your daughter would attend Birney school. I see young moms/families all over these urban areas, some send their kids to Catholic/private schools (Our Lady Of Peace) & some send to public. Remember that all urban school districts, across the country, are dealing with English Learners, so the curriculum must be taught at a slower pace than out in the affluent white/Asian suburbs. Good Luck to your family

Old 04-29-2013, 09:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,457 times
Thanks for all the information!

We are white... And, yes, I noticed that Adams Elementary was predominately Hispanic.

Albert Einstein academy looks amazing! Is it difficult to gain admittance?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 AM

52 posts, read 128,823 times
I liked Normal Heights and University, reminded me of areas of Portland Oregon (small old houses, compacted streets, coffee shops/hole-in-the-walls, inner city style but with a relatively safe feel). I like that whole area between there and Hillcrest.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:54 AM

745 posts, read 1,567,627 times
My understanding of the charter schools such as Albert Einstein is that they are lottery based and have nothing to do with residence. Normal Heights is very walkable but Sassberto's description was right on. That said, lots of people I know in their 50s and 60s like the restaurant scene there too but again that is not your cohort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: