Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Moving from Vegas to San Diego
Make the move to San Diego. 12 66.67%
Use Vegas as an income hub, attempt to reside in SD on off days. 2 11.11%
Stay in Vegas and lose all hope for humanity. 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 10:44 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times

Advertisements

This Thread is joke right?
Bahahahaha!
How did I miss this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 10:18 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Bahahahaha!
How did I miss this?

LOL. Exactly! It's one of the funniest threads. You know the BEST threads to me seem to be the ones where you scratch your head and almost suspect on first glance it's a troll but you know it's not. Some of them turn out to be so funny and true "gems". LOL.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:32 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Bahahahaha!
How did I miss this?
Good to know, that it's just not me! I've refrained from posting,simply because I THOUGHT it was a joke or Troll, but just wasn't sure.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:07 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
gem indeed, early retirement

Old 05-13-2013, 08:39 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Like GMUAlum correctly noted, no one should be moving to San Diego because they think their life will be better.
I was joking. Why would anyone move to San Diego thinking their life would be worse than where they are currently living?

Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
I was joking. Why would anyone move to San Diego thinking their life would be worse than where they are currently living?
Ah I misread your post then. What I thought you meant was that people shouldn't just move to San Diego thinking that their life will automatically improve drastically just from living in San Diego.

For example, I've met a few people that had stable and steady jobs where they were making good money, had friends and automatically thought being in the San Diego weather and environment would all of a sudden turn their life around. And at least for them, their life here was more stressful as they couldn't find a job for many many months, blew through much of their savings, and when they finally did get a job it had nothing to do with their field of study.

So I thought that's what you meant.

Moving to San Diego isn't all of a sudden going to automatically improve anyone's life. Especially if you have a great job and making a great income. You have to look at everything. Nothing is automatic. Yes, on one hand you might spend much more time on the beach vs. where you previously lived. But on the other hand it might be because you're unemployed.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:53 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,477 times
All of that is true but all those possibilities come after the move is already made. No one thinks or expects their life to be worse off before they move to San Diego or anywhere else for that matter.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
All of that is true but all those possibilities come after the move is already made. No one thinks or expects their life to be worse off before they move to San Diego or anywhere else for that matter.

Sure, no one expects their life will be worse off but the thing is you have to use common sense and also look at the trends, economy, job market and personal situation. I think you'd admit there are a LOT of people that probably move to San Diego that shouldn't.

I look at it akin to a divorced woman that is looking to settle down with a new boyfriend. Before she gets married she needs to look at all the factors if he will make a good husband, good father, provider, etc. Sure, you don't expect things to be worse off with him vs. her ex husband but the thing is you have to do some due diligence and serious thinking before just jumping into a marriage with him. I kind of look at a situation like this as the same thing. No, you don't expect things to be worse but you probably have a pretty good idea if your odds are good or bad really taking an objective look at the situation.

Sure, for many people they need to be here to see just how good/bad life can be. But on the front end BEFORE moving out it would be good to ponder questions like these:

- How much savings am I bringing out to San Diego with me and how long will it last under a worst case scenario?

- How much exactly am I spending each month and what are ALL my monthly obligations?

- What is a realistic situation on housing and how much will I spend each month living where I want to live?

- What is the job market like in general, and more specifically how is the market for my profession? And what can I reasonably expect to make?

- How long will it take to find a job? What is the worst case scenario? And going back to one of the previous points, how long will my savings last me?

- Is it worth the risk/reward if I have a stable, steady job with lots of seniority to come to San Diego? If I leave this job and things don't work out in San Diego, can I get this job back or at the very worst a lateral type move in the industry with another company?

- What's the short-term and long-term game plan of what you want in your life? Where do you want to see yourself or what goals do you have for 5 years out? 10 years out? 15 years out? 20 years out?

The biggest problem I have with many people that want to move here is they haven't asked themselves these types of BASIC questions nor know the answers to them.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:40 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgore View Post
Talk about judging a book by it's cover. What exactly is it about my appearance that makes some people post such replies as, "After looking at the photo, maybe Vegas is perfect for you?" Am I not well dressed and clean cut? Is my grammar and obvious intellectual ability completely moot simply because I'm not a neckbeard who wears Target clothing? Seriously.
Since you asked, that first photo looks like club attire from circa 1998. The second one? I thought only girls did the duckface?

Urban Dictionary: Duckface

Old 05-13-2013, 03:46 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Since you asked, that first photo looks like club attire from circa 1998. The second one? I thought only girls did the duckface?

Urban Dictionary: Duckface

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego