Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 AM

78 posts, read 265,217 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me details about life in and near CV? I have never really spent much time in the area.
I enjoy:
1. The beach
2. The Gym (24 Hour Fitness or Golds)
3. Movies/ Mall/ Restaurants

What costs should I be considering on top of my basic Rent, Utilities and food expenses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 AM

Well I am 32 and single... As far as staying local to Texas there are companies here in Texas which do what i do... namely in Dallas/ Ft. Worth... However, I companies which do what i do are few and far between. There are certain companies which hire engineers in my specialty.. Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Boeing and other aircraft manufacturers. Here in Texas LMA is having serious trouble (as are other defense contractors)... this is the case nationwide with the cuts in defense. So most companies are having a hiring freeze and some programs are being cut all together. I have contacted peers in these companies and they all have told me that is the case.
Dallas and Austin, Houston and San Antonio are VERY nice... It would be a BIG upgrade from Waco...

Old 05-10-2013, 10:24 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,370,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeZepeda View Post
Well I am 32 and single... As far as staying local to Texas there are companies here in Texas which do what i do... namely in Dallas/ Ft. Worth... However, I companies which do what i do are few and far between. There are certain companies which hire engineers in my specialty.. Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Boeing and other aircraft manufacturers. Here in Texas LMA is having serious trouble (as are other defense contractors)... this is the case nationwide with the cuts in defense. So most companies are having a hiring freeze and some programs are being cut all together. I have contacted peers in these companies and they all have told me that is the case.
Dallas and Austin, Houston and San Antonio are VERY nice... It would be a BIG upgrade from Waco...

Ha, ha. That's putting it mildly! LOL. Waco is a pit compared to these cities. Dallas and Austin are fine cities. Same as San Antonio. I"m not a big fan of Houston but it would seem like Paradise compared to Waco as well.

Don't get me wrong. San Diego is GREAT!!! Gorgeous and 100 X better than Texas. But I guess at 32 years old do you really want to be sitting around with a roommate or two in a Chula Vista apartment??? Get my point?

Also, what happens when you find a girl that you want to marry? Will you make enough to support your family here in California? So think further down the road as well.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:04 PM

LOL... thats true... I will say though that I've found it a bit difficult to find a woman here in small town Texas... and oddly enough, the fact that I am from CA seems to really be a deal breaker during conversation.

I am considering renting a room only for a year or so. I rent a room here in waco as well. Mostly to not always be alone.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
LOL... thats true... I will say though that I've found it a bit difficult to find a woman here in small town Texas... and oddly enough, the fact that I am from CA seems to really be a deal breaker during conversation.

I am considering renting a room only for a year or so. I rent a room here in waco as well. Mostly to not always be alone.

Well in Waco it might be tough because probably most of them are all related. LOL. (Ok...exaggeration but you know what I mean ha ha).

Definitely I think if you're only planning on having roommates a year or so it's ok. And DEFINITELY if you are in the same situation in Waco that will make it easier. I just mistakenly assumed that you had your own place in Waco. But if you are already accustomed to that then it won't be difficult to adjust to at all.

I doubt you will have any problems meeting people here or making friends, especially if you are already from Southern California. I find if you make the effort you can easily meet people here in San Diego. I've easily met a ton of people here with minimal effort. But you do have to work at it.

Plus with a name like that, I assume you are totally fluent in Spanish as well and in that Chula Vista area there are many Mexicans so I'm sure the dating pool will be MUCH better than Waco.

Are you bringing much savings with you? I assume if you were in a great job in Texas and have roommates and really living within your means then you should be in a great position. You actually sound like someone that would be ideal to move here because although you will be making less, it sounds like you live within your means there and it sounds like you will do the same thing here.

Shoot me a PM if you move here and lunch is on me. Plus I have a pretty diverse and interesting group of friends so we can get you in on the "rotation" of weekly lunches. Cheers.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:48 PM

I will be bringing some savings but not a HUGE amount. I do plan to try and live simply... BUT my plan in life is to buy a home and live comfortably. I can do just that in Waco... only trouble is.. I'll be in Waco... Not close to friends and family... No beaches and life will be rather boring. I dont forsee meeting a partner here or settling here in Waco. I do however see that in San Diego... BUT I would need to make more money I think. Or have a good plan.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I will be bringing some savings but not a HUGE amount. I do plan to try and live simply... BUT my plan in life is to buy a home and live comfortably. I can do just that in Waco... only trouble is.. I'll be in Waco... Not close to friends and family... No beaches and life will be rather boring. I dont forsee meeting a partner here or settling here in Waco. I do however see that in San Diego... BUT I would need to make more money I think. Or have a good plan.

Exactly. It all depends on what your goals and "life plan" are. San Diego is GREAT. FABULOUS if you can afford it. It's different as a single guy with no kids. You can always figure other stuff out later but it's always good in the back of your head to really put down on paper what your goals are, what you want out of life and if they can be accomplished in any given city.

I can tell you that MANY people are just struggling to get by here in San Diego on their salaries for what goals they have which is to send their kids to good schools, live in a good safe area and have a decent sized single family home.

You don't have to figure it all out right now.... but it would be good to keep the ultimate "end game" goals in mind.

Just make sure you come with decent savings. I've seen people leave some GREAT jobs with GREAT job stability and most importantly job security to risk it all and come to San Diego and not find a job or not be happy with their job and have to find another one. For some things worked out great. For others...not so much.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:41 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,716,049 times
Quote:
Well, if it helps in your decision-making process, a Chula Vista woman was just named 2013 Playboy Playmate of the Year

Chula Vista woman named Playmate of the Year | FOX5 San Diego

Old 05-10-2013, 06:29 PM

9,803 posts, read 11,492,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Well, if it helps in your decision-making process, a Chula Vista woman was just named 2013 Playboy Playmate of the Year

First Hispanic women to win playmate of the year....What took so long Hef

Old 05-10-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego