Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 04:53 PM

161 posts, read 386,046 times

Advertisements

Hello... We're finally here and looking for an apartment. We are looking at a high rise in the Santa Fe Union station area. We would love to live downtown but do have 2 school aged children. Can anyone offer insight in the area we are looking at and also offer suggestions of other ares not too far from downtown. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 05:03 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,232,264 times
There is an Archstone apartment complex not far from there. Its only stop on the Orange Line at the Seaport Village stop from the Santa Fe Depot.

Its literally right across the tracks from the coffee shop on the corner there called the Brickyard.

San Diego Apartments for Rent | Archstone Apartments in San Diego CA

Old 05-16-2013, 07:03 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,316,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
There is an Archstone apartment complex not far from there. Its only stop on the Orange Line at the Seaport Village stop from the Santa Fe Depot.

Its literally right across the tracks from the coffee shop on the corner there called the Brickyard.

San Diego Apartments for Rent | Archstone Apartments in San Diego CA
It is convenient, but please check out Archstone carefully. It looks lovely from the outside, however, when I viewed flats about 1-yr ago, the smell of bug spray was so horrendous (it could even be smelled all over the outside of the property... I used to cut through often to walk to Office Depot & always had to hold my breath), I literally ran out after a 15-min tour because that choking Raid smell was virtually all over the entire bldg on every single floor, including the elevators. Also, the garbage chutes were rank with the smell of trash.

I asked the rental agent what the problem was & she said they had a few gnarly, 20-something tenants who didn't dispose of garbage properly (she mentioned beer cans & greasy pizza boxes regularly scattered around), hence the spraying needing to be done every month or so for roaches. Yikes!

The 3 flats I saw were lovely, but each one virtually reeked of cigarette smoke & Raid. Again, I asked why I was being shown a flat which wasn't thoroughly cleansed (some were fairly dirty, needing a painting, as well) & she said they could 'probably' put in some sort of smoke contraption to eliminate the smoke in 72-hrs & if I signed the lease, they'd clean it. I suggested she do that pronto & not show the flat again for 3-days. Every time we walked back into the hallway, the bug spray choked me. After 3 apts, I told her I couldn't breathe, forget it & hightailed it out. In addition, the day I visited, the 1st floor was virtually filled with young, loud students roaming the bldg & blaring music. The rents are also rather high for what's offered. As I'd said, I walked near the bldg often & it was always buzzing with loud noise, Raid & roving students.

That may have changed, but if I had small kids, I wouldn't want them breathing in bug spray. I also saw Archstone flats in La Jolla & either Del Mar or Encinitas & unbelievably they were worse. I now just steer clear of Archstone, although the pics are some of the best online... don't be fooled.

If you wish to stay in downtown, TonyinSD & I lived in 2 adjoining bldgs on the corner of Third & Market, 1-mi from where you are staying now. He lived in the Greystone bldg & I lived in Cornerstone. They were okay, not very modern (meaning no amenities besides parking & a dishwasher), nothing special (at least my bldg wasn't... but they were clean, safe & well maintained) & the rents began at $1,300 for a studio. Not sure if Tony's bldg had 2 or 3 bedrooms... I think they did have 2. However, he's more familiar with the area as a whole, so hopefully he'll pop in shortly.

But, we're both very familiar with downtown if that's where you wish to live. If you could be more specific about wants (things for the kids to do & if so which ages, closeness to a particular highway or train stop for work) everyone could be more helpful.

Welcome to SD. Best of luck with your new home!

Old 05-16-2013, 07:13 PM

Thank you so much for your responses!!!

As far. What we want... My kids are being homeschooled at the moment but I would like to have access to a good school system if possible. We're also interested in music lessons, gymnastics, karate, etc. Also it would be perfect to live in an area that also has apartments for sale because we only plan on renting for the first year. Safe is always on the top of the list and even though I'm not sure how possible this is downtown but family friendly would be great.

We're going to look at a high rise tomorrow on 9th ave and A st. south of Balboa park. Trulia rates that as a high crime area but I'm not sure how accurate they are. How is this area?

I really appreciate ALL your help!

Old 05-16-2013, 07:34 PM

15,107 posts, read 32,119,385 times
For schools, check out San Diego Unified School District / Welcome. As you look at apartments, put the address into the Enrollment Options section, and that will tell you what the schools are for that address.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:36 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,963,619 times
I think you're looking at the Avalon at Cortez Hill apartments? I looked there before I moved. They're nice and you've got a lot of amenities. As far as the crime, I'm sure there are homeless people around, but I believe that they have security on hand there 24/7 to make sure nothing gets out of control.

With two school aged kids, it might be a tight squeeze where PatanjaliTwist and I used to live. They do have two bedrooms and some lofts that go multi level, but it might be tight.

Where I live now, however, there are three bedrooms available. I think the rent is around $2,300.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:27 PM

The one we're seeing tomorrow is called Vantage Point.

Thanks for the schools link!!!!

Old 05-17-2013, 12:35 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,903,873 times
If you want a good school system, downtown isn't the place to live. In fact, most of southern California isn't exactly the best place to live for schools. In San Diego, Good school systems are out in Poway, del Mar, carmel valley, some parts of carlsbad, Rancho Penasquitos, etc.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:36 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,963,619 times
I know someone who used to live there, but he moved to the Marina district. He was okay with the place, but he didn't like that there wasn't a lot in the immediate area around the apartment complex.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:28 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,316,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
I know someone who used to live there, but he moved to the Marina district. He was okay with the place, but he didn't like that there wasn't a lot in the immediate area around the apartment complex.
I was thinking the same exactly, in that the OP is going into the opposite part of town I'd recommend with kids. I did mention our old bldg, as s/he said it was a temporary stay prior to purchasing & we lived in the heart of downtown, so I thought of the convenience only. Of course, it depends upon how many bedrooms... s/he never said if 1 or 2 were needed for kids.

I think the Marina/Seaport or even Little Italy areas would be much more family friendly. The water/beach is closer & there are some kids' activities... not far from the small Children's Museum on Island Ave., the Spirit of India ship, Seaport Village, farmer's markets on the weekend, Coronado Is. a 10-min drive, Horton's Plaza, Balboa Theatre. Balboa Pk & it's many museums are a bus ride or 3-mi drive ride away.

Little Italy would be more challenging with parking, but if s/he's looking into upscale bldgs, I know there are a few with underground parking. I would have moved there had Cornerstone not worked out quickly enough.

To the OP... I second what Pedro said about schools. I don't know about downtown schools, but one of the best systems is Poway. I have a 9-yr old nephew, who has attended school in Ramona & Poway & my sister is very happy with his education.

Vantage Pt looks very nice. Their reviews on apartmentratings.com & yelp are generally good. I don't know how that one passed by me. It always annoyed me that I paid a high rent for a common w/d in the breezeway (yuck... I want my own!) & no amenity whatsoever beyond a parking space & rooftop deck. BTW, how did your visit to Vantage go today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego