Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times

Advertisements

I noticed AT&T is pushing hard with their U-verse cable like TV service right now and they're offering packages starting at just $29,95 for HD service. Currently I'm paying $99 for HD cable (no pay channels) and basic Cox Roadrunner cable internet service. AT&T is offering the same package for $74 and they throw in land line phone service for free.

Does anyone have experience with AT&T's cable or internet service? Is it worth it or should I just stick with Cox?

I've been having a problem with slow downs and disconnects with Cox HSI which is why I started looking around. The problem is I really don't know anything about AT&T's service, how fast it is in reality vs what they claim, are their slow downs, etc... So I'm hoping to find someone who has used their service before who can tell me if it's a good buy or a dog. I mean 25% less for the same service sounds good but I want to make sure I'm not trading a bad dog for a worse one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 11:47 AM

129 posts, read 340,774 times
We just tried to get U-verse. But I always keep fraud alerts on my credit. They said they couldn't pull my credit because of that, and wanted 400 non-refundable green dollar bills. Not worth it to me. But consumer reports just rated them on top. So it's worth a look see if you are unhappy with your current set up.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:34 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Two of my neighbors have ATT U-Verse, but they don't have computers. They say it's ok, but customer service is terrible. I have Cox, and have no problems with it. I have hi-speed internet and basic cable, which runs me $65.07 per month.

If you have Cox Road Runner, you have a problem. Road Runner is through Time Warner.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:51 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
I have U-verse for both TV and internet, used to have Time Warner. I don't really have much to complain about U-verse. When I first got when it first came out in my area the customer service was great but now it doesn't seem to be, but I almost never need to call in for any problems or anything so it's not much of an issue. I like the TV service a lot with the DVR because you can record four shows at once and watch them on any box in the house. I didn't have to give a credit card or deposit when I signed up but I do hear they do that now. I like U-Verse and have recommended it to other people, they've had no complaints either.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:56 PM

720 posts, read 691,383 times
AT&T customer service sucks butt...and I tried to put that as lady like as possible! And never give them your account numbers for auto pay and then tell them you are switching and canceling! Took me three months to get them to stop billing me, and now I am trying to get my money back...

Old 08-04-2010, 02:47 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
We had U-Verse in Austin and truly enjoyed the service, especially the NFL Network
I loved having wifi/router installed as part of the package. I didn't have any serious issues during my service tenure, but upon relocating to Hawaii where there isn't AT&T service, it did take longer than I liked to get reimbursed for returning my equipment
But having said that, I definitely liked it better than Time Warner

Old 08-04-2010, 03:41 PM

360 posts, read 1,533,318 times
Thumbs down I HATED U-verse!

I switched from Time Warner to U-verse in San Diego soon after it was introduced. As stated by others above, AT&T customer service was AWFUL (long waits and not very helpful rep's)! I did not like the TV portion of the service and canceled after 90 days when Time Warner lured me back with a great deal. And, yes, I had similar problems with AT&T not refunding my money until I called them multiple times to complain. NEVER AGAIN.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 AM

23 posts, read 116,217 times
Cox is superior to Time Warner which is superior to ATT Uverse...I have had the pleasure to have all three in the last 4 years

Old 11-11-2011, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 24,098 times
Default U-Verse vs Cox answers are mostly Wrong

Most of the answers I see posted when people want to compare AT&T U-verse to anything are INACCURATE.

It seems most people think U-verse is DSL.

Here is the TRUTH. Depending upon where you live, you may have AT&T's older DSL service which used your homes copper phone lines. Most new areas where U-verse has recently become available is cable. Exactly like Cox and others. They use fiber in the street right to your home. In fact, where I live in So. Cal. Cox laid fiber in the streets and began offering broadband cable in 1996. AT&T U-Verse only became available in my area in 2011. I switched from Cox to U-verse after being with Cox since 1993. I stood and watched when my U-Verse was connected outside to my home. I even had to guide the installer. They took the Cox fiber from the street to my Cox utility closet and merely disconnected it from the Cox junction box and hooked the same cable to run U-verse. As for TV and the cable boxes, AT&T has a much better picture quality and much better quad tuner box with a 500 GB drive. You won't fill it. Cox uses terrible Motorola boxes with bad picture and the DVR's don't Lways work. Odd since my U-verse box is also Motorola. Cox also uses a 160gb drive which you could fill in 2 days. As for Internet, Cox wins because you can use a current Docsis 2 or 3 Modem. AT&T use a 2Wire router/modem. A piece of junk. I have concluded, get U-verse TV with Cox Internet. Phone service, if you even want it is a toss up. Both are now digital. So everyone stop thinking U-verse is only DSL. It's now fiber cable in most areas that just got it.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:05 PM

321 posts, read 541,279 times
I had Cox downtown and dumped it for U-Verse. Then when I moved, I could only get Time Warner.

Honestly all three were about the same in TV quality and internet speed. Customer service was better with cable (locally done) whereas Uverse was outsourced to call centers abroad.

Uverse was cheaper, and I preferred their free DVR which from day 1 could be programmed from any internet connection, multiple shows recording and watching (not the two-recording must-watch-one-of-them with Cox and Time Warner). Their box programming was of this era, not late 80's. Uverse had some great sign-up offers too.

No matter what, might be a good time to call your current provider and see what they have to make you stay as a customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego