Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 06:42 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Agreed! Brandt is outstanding, but only their beter stuff. Unless I never asked the secret question at the farmers market, the stuff they sell there, we have found, to be quite fatty and marbling that isnt so great.

Actually saw Americas Test Kitchen with Kimball and Co. praising how great the beef is for mail order beef.

bloom, did you know Zabars in Manhattan sells Brandt?

I am shocked Cowboy Star is still in business after all these years.
No, I did not know that about Zabaras. To be fair, I only went to Cowboy Star once, but your experience confirms my impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 06:52 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times
I second Arrivederci in Hillcrest. Intimate atmosphere, delicious food, good service. I would eat here weekly if I lived in SD.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:49 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
This was the original question:

"As the title states, what's your favorite restaurant in the city of San Diego and why. Any Cuisine. Can you also give me approx price range for a main meal pls?"

and this was your response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Medocrity generally rules the city.

You have since chimed in with some recommendations. Thanks for giving the San Diego food scene a second chance. Your "discerning taste" is a beacon for us "ill informed" mopes. I don't know the first thing about fine dining, I wouldn't know if it bit me in the *****. But I know what I like, and if I like it, it must be good. It doesn't make me ill-informed, just a tad different than some pompous wanna-be Anthony Bourdain.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:52 PM

Oh, as for the original post, I am partial to The Station in South Park right now. Good beer, good burger and fries, interesting folks...dog friendly.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:06 PM

39 posts, read 50,632 times
Las Quatras Milpas on Logan Ave has the best and most authentic Mexican food in the city. If you're ever in Point Loma, Point Loma Seafoods is outstanding. Neither of these places are fancy at all, just great food. Long lines don't lie.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:07 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
The Station is ok-good. Burger Lounge better. Bourdain's shows are very good and he rightly favors TJ > SD. The Arrivaderci franchise (incl. Il Postino) is all what is wrong with Italian; Il Fornaio is better. That Logan Ave restaurant is indeed authentic but I didn't like it; local chain MXN (formerly Santanas) is my fave. Blue Water > Point Loma. No need to get emotional and lose it, name-caller mope echo42.

Last edited by bloom; 05-19-2013 at 11:15 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 08:42 PM

OK, I give. You win.

This is obviously your foodie swim lane and you know best. I will continue to wallow in mediocrity. I can't believe I 'm involved in an argument on the internet over fine dining. Entertaining though.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:32 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
It depends on what your definition of good food is.

Do you need all the amenities, complete with an extensive wine list, a sommelier, maitre d', and so on? Or are you focused on the food and the food only?

I've had good food in tin shacks -- literally in the case of a place in Austin, Texas. And I've had some mediocre food in places that required you to have a coat and tie.

You are likely not going to find a place with all the amenities, because let's face it. This isn't that kind of town. I can't think of a single place where you've got to wear a coat and tie.

But you can definitely find good food.

Much of it is accepting the city for what it is. If you want an experience like you get at the high end restaurants in New York or Paris, well, you're going to be disappointed. But accept the city for what it is, and you can find good food.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:06 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
It depends on what your definition of good food is.

Do you need all the amenities, complete with an extensive wine list, a sommelier, maitre d', and so on? Or are you focused on the food and the food only?

I've had good food in tin shacks -- literally in the case of a place in Austin, Texas. And I've had some mediocre food in places that required you to have a coat and tie.

You are likely not going to find a place with all the amenities, because let's face it. This isn't that kind of town. I can't think of a single place where you've got to wear a coat and tie.

But you can definitely find good food.

Much of it is accepting the city for what it is. If you want an experience like you get at the high end restaurants in New York or Paris, well, you're going to be disappointed. But accept the city for what it is, and you can find good food.
Absolutely, completely agree with all that Tony mentions.

Our favorite restaurants in the SD area are Buon Appetito in Little Italy (casual dress, outdoor seating area, great gourmet food/wine, decent prices, fantastic service from Italian imports (the SO is 1/2 Italian/Sicilian, so anytime we can speak IT is a bonus) & only 1-mi from downtown (Note: Tony, you, the SO & I are going when we return, absolutely on us, mate!); Palms, Mortons & Flemmings in the Gaslamp; & for a more casual outing (in regards to food), Proper Gastropub (but, to be fair, I grew up an Irish Brit so a Gastropub is up my bloody alley, mate) for the greatest burger/fries in the city & the bonus is it's overlooking the huge screen at Petco Pk (if you opt for the outdoor patio) & the microbrew pints are quite nice.

I lived in Sydney for a few years as a kid... you'll absolutely love San Diego & adjust quite easily & nicely, as we did. We'll return in late Sept/early Oct... cannot wait 'til we return.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 AM

442 posts, read 496,664 times
So, my family (me, husband, 2 young boys) will be visiting SD in a few weeks with our BFF's - a young family with just one little girl (age 2). We are looking for cheap, tasty, NO CHAIN, casual food. Something that is kid friendly, and is jeans/t-shirt friendly

Suggestions? We are staying in Mission Valley but plan on being all over the place sight seeing. I have heard good things about Anthony's Grotto? I think that is the name. We love seafood...don't get much FRESH here in MN...so I plan to take full advantage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego