Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 08:51 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
RESIDENTS!!! I know most of them do not WORK in those areas, but many of them LIVE in those area! DOWNTOWN is where most of them WORK, but I am unable to go to downtown during the hours that most of them will be at bars and restaurants.

I am finished entertaining your posts because you have no idea what you are talking about.
His logical, well thought out post went right over your head.

As he said, a doctor making $250K a year ain't gonna be buying a $10 million home in La Jolla. Unless he's stupid, in which case, he wouldn't have gotten in to med school, graduated, completed his residency, and then had a successful practice.

My sister has been in medicine for about a decade now, and she's a partner in a solid practice. But she can't buy that house in La Jolla. Even someone like her, who will be hit by the increase in the tax rates, can't afford a house there.

And lots of professional people live downtown. How else could you afford to pay the rent in a lot of the buildings? Strata runs $2,500 a month. Multiply that by three, which is what they require in order to rent to someone, and that's $7,500 a month. That means you're talking about someone who's making $90K a year, or 50 percent more than the media household income of the area. That is not some poor guy holding down a job at the Kwik-E-Mart.

You're asking questions, getting answers you don't like, and then complaining. Ain't no man, whether he's successful or not, who's going to put up with that.

Last edited by tonyinsd; 05-29-2013 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 09:32 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
You've said this a half-dozen times in this thread. We get it, the silver hair thinks men should pay for dates. Revolutionary.

Plainly, you've been out of the game a long time. Men are paying. Paying through the nose, like they never have before, and far, far more than you ever ponied up on some "date" from yesteryear. The hookup world of today is littered with sucker's bets to divorce young men from their money in the "scene," such as it is.

The absolute worst are nearly all clubs and some bars in major cities. That's where the wallet rape really begins with "bottle service." You get hit with a cover charge if you are a man, women get in free. To get a table at most clubs, and even some bars, you have to pay, literally, several hundred dollars per bottle of grossly marked-up gin or vodka. It comes with ice, glasses, mixers. Ergo, bottle service. This is taking place every single night at major clubs throughout San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas, etc., as well as some bars in major cities. It is a massive ripoff where young men pony up hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, women drink the bottles, and dudes end the night a whole lot poorer. It is on display in full force every single time I am in LA and Vegas. I hate it. I hasten to add, I've never, ever seen women pay for a table or bottle service. Ever.

Bars are just as bad. Go downtown on any weekend, and outside most watering holes will be some reasonably attractive female trying to usher in men, in the hopes they will blow money on grossly overpriced drinks for themselves and perhaps a woman. These bars' business depends almost solely on getting dollars out of men's wallets, paying for grossly overpriced alcohol, and the fuel for all this spending is men meeting women. I know, because I am friends with and have done work with (on unrelated business) some of the most successful club owners downtown. In a frank moment, they will tell you, the business depends on suckers, meaning men stupid enough to fork over their capital in this idiot charade. And pay they do.

So, I cannot emphasize enough how off-base your comments about men "paying." Step down off the box, they are paying. And paying. And paying. Paying more than you ever did at some drive-in dump or burger joint, or wherever else you took potential conquests. I encourage you to visit the bars and clubs. Go to LA or Vegas and see the $2,500 tabs men get stuck with, because they are financing these nights out. You'll be able to confirm independently I am 100% correct.

You keep yammering about "pay for dates out." The dating rituals of yesteryear have zero bearing in today's instant-message, friend-with-benefits hookup culture. And I do mean instant hookup culture. In today's ios/Android text and Facebook-drive online and instant message world, there are a metric shi*ton of fakes and flakes. Online dating only compounds the problem, with absurd profiles and all the rest. If your default position in this connected world is, "I'll pay because I'm a man," buddy, you are a mark. A mark to be exploited -- and be exploited you will.

You are, quite simply, way behind the times, and this includes repeating ad nauseam the "man must pay" dating meme and your shock . . . shock! . . . the "modern man" may not be ponying up. I've already explained why your foundation is false. Now I'm also telling you, the sexual market is no longer the way you envision, and frankly, people, especially young people, simply don't care anymore about this. What they care about is IMs, lighting up the phone, who's "liking" on the wall, what place and what time, what's the next hook.

Sigh. I don't understand why he is so focused on a "date's dinner" and who is paying for it. Like an infant mesmerized with Christmas wrapping paper. It just isn't this way anymore, and hasn't been for some time.

Sounds like you have leakage bro. Did you set any limits at all on the claims to your material wealth, or have you always been little more than a meal ticket for your dates and offspring?

___

A note to my brothers under 50: don't get married, don't have kids. Never would be preferable, but if you must settle down at some point, wait until you are 50, minimum. Save your money and invest in yourself, your education, your skills, and in income-producing assets. Never let any woman or child lay claim to your possessions. You will then lead a truly rich life, a life of freedom, a life of direction, a life of destiny that you decide -- not some airhead with plastic boobs, not some whiny kids you know you never wanted, not the divorce courts after she decides to split and she wants half your stuff + lifetime alimony. As a man, freedom and force of your direction are your two greatest assets. Never settle. Never let some woman tell you what to do. Never let some woman and her desire for offspring keep you from your dreams.
LOL. This is probably one of the silliest post I've ever read. And once again, I say... let me guess.. you're single right?? (or probably divorced and got taken to the cleaners).

Contrary to mistaken believe "Earl Lee" isn't some silver-haired older gentleman. I'm probably even younger than you are USDefault. No, I haven't been out of the game that long. It's ok if you have a different opinion about paying for dates or your way of thinking but that doesn't make it right. Same as my thoughts on the matter. It's my opinion but I'm not saying that is right for everyone either. Just a differences of opinion. But no, I'm not that far out of the dating game. LOL.

LOL. Your calls for guys under 50 not to get married nor have kids is just silly. You do realize that don't you? Settle down when you are 50?? LOL. You're kidding me right? And be 70 when they are in high school? Let me clue you in on something, you CAN get married and have kids and "invest in yourself, your education, your skills and creating income-producing assets at the same time as being a great husband and father.

You sound VERY paranoid with advice like, "never let a woman or child lay claim to your possessions". You sound totally crazy with advice like that. Listen, once I had kids, quite honestly, most things in life that I do...I do for them now. They are my life, my light and my hopes and dreams. I'm not saying I don't have a great life outside of my kids because I do. But your focus and energy and priorities change when you have kids. From the sound of your post it's clear that you don't have kids or if you do, you're a totally different kind of father with a totally different outlook on what it means to be a father.

So I'd assume you are a single guy or more appropriately some guy that is divorced that got taken to the cleaners.

But your advice is not going to be good for the masses. Getting married, having kids and being a father is probably the greatest joy any male could go through in life. Let me tell you something, it beats having any amount of money in the world, any possessions. NOTHING can compare to being a dad. It's the greatest joy in life.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 05-29-2013 at 09:45 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 11:53 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
LOL. This is probably one of the silliest post I've ever read. And once again, I say... let me guess.. you're single right?? (or probably divorced and got taken to the cleaners).
Not single, I have a SO. Not divorced -- I was smart enough to never marry and put myself at the mercy of the broken family court system and ridiculous lifetime alimony laws. Nor do I have kids. This planet is grossly overpopulated and the myriad pressures of too many people using too few resources are evident all around us. Joblessness, record numbers of Americans on food stamps, overseas starvation, youth unemployment over 25%, all of it is a result of too many people, and in particular too many children their parents cannot pay for.

Quote:
It's ok if you have a different opinion about paying for dates or your way of thinking but that doesn't make it right. Same as my thoughts on the matter. It's my opinion but I'm not saying that is right for everyone either. Just a differences of opinion.
My response wasn't an opinion. It's a fact that men are paying, and paying bigtime, for nights and weekends out, at the most popular nightlife gathering spots in this city, in this state, and in this country. Women skate in free and spend little to nothing, while men get left holding some very big bills. This supports a massive proportion of the evening entertainment industry -- because men are paying. Bigtime.

So this is a direct response to your repeated (and incorrect) assertion about men not picking up the tab. Because they are, in droves, and you will see it directly if you ventured out for just a few evenings in any city.

Quote:
You sound VERY paranoid with advice like, "never let a woman or child lay claim to your possessions". You sound totally crazy with advice like that. Listen, once I had kids, quite honestly, most things in life that I do...I do for them now. They are my life, my light and my hopes and dreams. I'm not saying I don't have a great life outside of my kids because I do. But your focus and energy and priorities change when you have kids. From the sound of your post it's clear that you don't have kids or if you do, you're a totally different kind of father with a totally different outlook on what it means to be a father.
Well then, don't take my word for it. Why don't you review the multi-year long study from UCLA which tracked families every single move, to analyze modern family life. Their conclusion: in today's consumerist society, family life is akin to trench warfare, families don't spend much time together, and the arduous process of raising children in most middle-class households is hell. "The very purest form of birth control ever devised. Ever," said one researcher, upon monitoring families up close for years. So, behold modern family life: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/23/sc...anted=all&_r=0. No need to take my word for it.

Quote:
So I'd assume you are a single guy or more appropriately some guy that is divorced that got taken to the cleaners.
Nope. Just a rational thinker who achieved success early, and had the ability to see right through the BS "scripted lifeplan" that so many men mindlessly follow.

Quote:
But your advice is not going to be good for the masses.
My advice is the best possible for young people, because right now the "masses" are bankrupt, unable to pay for themselves or the children they birth. Kids are a massive drain on their resources, resources they don't have in the first place. Kids also will severely limit choices and risk-taking, as parents respond to the daily pressure to provide food, shelter, clothing, as well as pay for shocking college costs. And families today simply are not making it. They are a couple missed paychecks away from financial ruin. If these families don't make it, are you going to pick up the slack for them? I know I won't.

Quote:
Getting married, having kids and being a father is probably the greatest joy any male could go through in life. Let me tell you something, it beats having any amount of money in the world, any possessions. NOTHING can compare to being a dad. It's the greatest joy in life.
A 50% divorce rate strongly confirms otherwise, as does the fact 6 in 10 women who birth kids in their 20s are unmarried. And because the planet is so overrun with humans, it is costing parents more and more to secure the resources to raise progeny. The cost of raising a child climbed 40% over the past decade - Sep. 21, 2011. Here's one parent's view: "'It takes half of my paycheck to pay for my child care -- you start to feel like, Is this even worth it?' said Anna Aasen, a mother of two from Roseburg, Ore." Of course it's not worth it. Not surprisingly, millions of Americans agree, which is why the birthrate is falling.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. But the data, the studies, the research is strongly to the opposite.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:56 AM

OK.. so exactly like I thought. A single (non-married guy) with no kids. Thanks for clarifying that.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
USDefault paranoid with quotes like "never let a woman or child lay claim to your possessions"? Or that he is a multimillionaire that wants everything San Diego has in an alternative because he doesn't want to pay the taxes (even though they are high)? lol

Still waiting to hear about why unicorns are so elusive...

LEts face it guys, this thread has almost legendary status as being so far OT, that it took on a life of its own. But I think the spirit of the thread is really what its about as much as looking for what the OP seeks.

I wish there were a simpler answer to what the OP seeks, but thus far, might be a long journey to find in SD.
So far the scorecard is 0 for 1. The one place she went to was too 'bohemian'.

Should make for an interesting book one day though. Lots of info here to go on

Old 05-29-2013, 02:18 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
USDefault paranoid with quotes like "never let a woman or child lay claim to your possessions"? Or that he is a multimillionaire that wants everything San Diego has in an alternative because he doesn't want to pay the taxes (even though they are high)? lol

Still waiting to hear about why unicorns are so elusive...
"Only the paranoid survive." Andrew S. Grove, CEO, Intel Corp.

Anyway, enjoyed the discussion. None of this ad-hominem, of course. We simply have markedly different views on the sexual marketplace and breeding. I just happen to think a whole lot of independent data and research backs my view. I'll conclude with another quote:

"It's an old habit. I spent my whole life trying not to be careless. Women and children can afford to be careless, but not men."

Truer words never spoken.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:24 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
"It's an old habit. I spent my whole life trying not to be careless. Women and children can afford to be careless, but not men."

Truer words never spoken.
Yes, because men have to carry a child in their womb for nine months if they are careless. I mean, there are no penalties for being careless if you're a woman.

Since you're quoting a tech icon, let me quote another.

"That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard."

Not attacking you, attacking the quote.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 05-29-2013 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Profanity

Old 05-29-2013, 05:25 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Yes, because men have to carry a child in their womb for nine months if they are careless. I mean, there are no penalties for being careless if you're a woman.

Since you're quoting a tech icon, let me quote another.

"That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard."

Not attacking you, attacking the quote.
I can't rep you. Dang it.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:07 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
RESIDENTS!!! I know most of them do not WORK in those areas, but many of them LIVE in those area! DOWNTOWN is where most of them WORK, but I am unable to go to downtown during the hours that most of them will be at bars and restaurants.

I am finished entertaining your posts because you have no idea what you are talking about.
The fact you claim most people work downtown is all that needs to be said. The majority of professional jobs in San Diego aren't exactly downtown. Plenty of people who make six figures work up in Carlsbad, Rancho Bernardo, Sorrento Valley, UTC, etc. Downtown has a few companies, a few attorneys who probably spend most of their time at the courthouses and so on, and there are banks, but I honestly don't know who works at those banks and makes great money in San Diego as San Diego isn't known as any Bank capital or bank office.

Most people aren't living in La Jolla or Del Mar. Houses can run 10 Million easily in those places. There is no such thing as a 'white collar professional' buying a $10 Million dollar house.

Spread your wings, visit other towns, other places. So you go to the Starbucks in La Jolla and wind up disappointed. You go to the starbucks in Del mar with the crappy parking and wind up disappointed. And then you wind up thinking, there are no good men. Makes sense that the Mitt Romneys and Aaron Rodgers aren't hanging out at a starbucks on Saturday.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I'm going to have to call Bull on some of this post. It's great being a father, but as soon as you become a father and work 60+ hours a week, and add to that time for that education, those hobbies, those other assets, etc you kind of become the person who is never around. I always find it funny when people brag they work 100+ hours a week and make big money and then chime in with they are a great parent(mother or father). Sorry but if your kid is being raised by a nanny more than you, it probably means you weren't exactly there most of the time for that child or children. There are only 24 hours in a day and if 16+ of those hours are spent working, school, other work, etc, you are kidding yourself in thinking you are actually being a good parent. Most of what that kid will learn will come from somebody else.

Not everyone works those kind of hours. Especially in San Diego. I worked some pretty insane hours back before I had kids. And even when they were younger in their first years... But part of being a great dad to me meant scaling back and taking more time with them. I even sold one of my principle companies so I could spend more time with my family.

Quite honestly, I don't know ANY guys in San Diego working 60-100 hour weeks. I know many in San Francisco and other areas but not in San Diego.

But even those guys that I know that have to work insane hours, find fatherhood the best thing in the world. Not sure how anyone can argue with that.

Pedro, are you a father? Just curious. I assume not because anyone that has the honor of being a father to kids would be hard pressed that fatherhood is not the ultimate in this world. I've accomplished some pretty spectacular things in my life but NONE of them hold a candle to becoming a father and being a dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego