Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:06 AM

6 posts, read 7,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Maybe be a part-time teacher if it's something you really enjoy, or work somewhere like Rocket Learning Center or Kumon, but also have another job that makes more money, and where you're less likely to be fired.

Thank you for your suggestions, I am open to anything. Actually this is how I got my current job, I was hired first as an AVID tutor before I became a full time Math teacher at the school I work at right now.

Last edited by dinaedu; 05-28-2013 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Though the job situation is not good for teachers in general, I read where there is a demand for Math teachers.

The Poway school district is excellent and very highly rated. Rancho Bernardo, Rancho Peñasquitos, and Poway are in the Poway school district. Rancho Bernardo and Rancho Peñasquitos are actually part of the city of San Diego whereas Poway is a separate city adjoining the other 2.

We lived in Poway for 17 years and our son went to Middle School and High School in Poway.

Thank you for the information about the Poway schools...I have two kids in high school, and I need to find good schools for them too.

My son is 16 and is not happy with us moving, but we do not have a choice we go where his dad goes.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 PM

161 posts, read 240,835 times
OP, I lived in San Diego for three years because DH is military. I am originally from Plano, and I taught fourth grade in Plano ISD for three years before marrying my DH and moving out of state. DH is currently completing an overseas tour and because my oldest daughter was entering kindergarten this school year, I made the decision to move our children back home here to Plano. We still own a home in San Diego (which we rent out to a Navy family) but the major decision as to why I chose to move back was solely because of the schools because I knew that my DD would have more opportunities through Plano vs. San Diego. That being said, the closest thing you will find to Plano ISD in San Diego will be Poway. Unlike Plano with the large sized senior highs, Poway has several high schools which follow the traditional four year track.

We did not live in Poway (because we bought our home when my oldest child was just a toddler so schools weren't an issue then) but if we had to do it all over again solely for the schools, our choices would have been Poway, Coronado, and then Carlsbad. That being said, we realistically had to live in an area that was close to DHs base, within our budget, and commuting here in San Diego isn't much fun if it takes more than 30-40/minutes one way. Though not always the case, we found that there was a direct correlation between schools and property value. Also, be prepared for huge sticker shock house hunting. There's no way to sugar coat it, but it is expensive to live in San Diego. Our less expensive home here in west Plano is practically twice the size of our San Diego home.

I did my research and knew that if I had to go back to work, I would have had to go another route than back to teaching. What the others posters have stated is right- there are so many budget cuts (ie furlough days) and its not unheard of to hear of veteran teachers' positions cut left and right. So a lot of those teachers try to take the paycut and teach at a private school. If that doesn't work, they try to take a sub position.

If your kids were involved in activities/clubs/sports, I'd be willing to venture that they may have a better chance of making the varsity team, lead role, leadership positions, etc simply because the class sizes are not as large as in Plano. I know it's hard to move in the middle of high school, but I am sure they will make plenty of friends in no time!

Old 05-31-2013, 09:13 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
A couple of observations ...

Since you teach math, and SD is trying to improve in the STEM subjects, you might have an easier time finding work than most teachers.

If you move to the Poway school district, but not Poway itself, you won't be caught up in that bond issue. But ... when improvements are made using that money, I suspect the improvements will be heavily slanted towards the schools in Poway itself (as they should be, since those are the people who will be stuck with the bill).

Old 05-31-2013, 01:37 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
A couple of observations ...

Since you teach math, and SD is trying to improve in the STEM subjects, you might have an easier time finding work than most teachers.

If you move to the Poway school district, but not Poway itself, you won't be caught up in that bond issue. But ... when improvements are made using that money, I suspect the improvements will be heavily slanted towards the schools in Poway itself (as they should be, since those are the people who will be stuck with the bill).
On the other hand the schools in Poway probably need the improvements more as the schools are older than in Rancho Bernardo or Rancho Peñasquitos.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Maybe be a part-time teacher if it's something you really enjoy, or work somewhere like Rocket Learning Center or Kumon, but also have another job that makes more money, and where you're less likely to be fired.

yes...I am really open to anything. I am just sad I have to leave my current job and start the job hunting process all over again

Old 05-31-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Baylor99 View Post
OP, I lived in San Diego for three years because DH is military. I am originally from Plano, and I taught fourth grade in Plano ISD for three years before marrying my DH and moving out of state. DH is currently completing an overseas tour and because my oldest daughter was entering kindergarten this school year, I made the decision to move our children back home here to Plano. We still own a home in San Diego (which we rent out to a Navy family) but the major decision as to why I chose to move back was solely because of the schools because I knew that my DD would have more opportunities through Plano vs. San Diego. That being said, the closest thing you will find to Plano ISD in San Diego will be Poway. Unlike Plano with the large sized senior highs, Poway has several high schools which follow the traditional four year track.

We did not live in Poway (because we bought our home when my oldest child was just a toddler so schools weren't an issue then) but if we had to do it all over again solely for the schools, our choices would have been Poway, Coronado, and then Carlsbad. That being said, we realistically had to live in an area that was close to DHs base, within our budget, and commuting here in San Diego isn't much fun if it takes more than 30-40/minutes one way. Though not always the case, we found that there was a direct correlation between schools and property value. Also, be prepared for huge sticker shock house hunting. There's no way to sugar coat it, but it is expensive to live in San Diego. Our less expensive home here in west Plano is practically twice the size of our San Diego home.

I did my research and knew that if I had to go back to work, I would have had to go another route than back to teaching. What the others posters have stated is right- there are so many budget cuts (ie furlough days) and its not unheard of to hear of veteran teachers' positions cut left and right. So a lot of those teachers try to take the paycut and teach at a private school. If that doesn't work, they try to take a sub position.

If your kids were involved in activities/clubs/sports, I'd be willing to venture that they may have a better chance of making the varsity team, lead role, leadership positions, etc simply because the class sizes are not as large as in Plano. I know it's hard to move in the middle of high school, but I am sure they will make plenty of friends in no time!

Thank you for the info...I live in west Plano right now, youare right the houses here are much bigger, but there is nothing to do plus thesummer here is very hot. We have lived in TX for twelve years and it is timefor us to move on I guess. I am looking forward to the nice weather and thebeach. I am not the type to stay home, I did when the kids were little but Istarted school as soon they were both in elementary school and I kept my self busywith school and work since then. I am just dreading the in-between the jobs period,I just need to keep myself busy somehow with part time jobs or tutoring privately.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:36 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Everyone makes some excellent comments here. Especially about how difficult it is for teachers here. San Diego is NOT really the place to be a teacher unless you already have a full-time job. I'm not saying it's impossible to get a job but this is a tough area like moved correctly mentioned.

I have some friends here that have family members that are teachers and they all tell me how rough it is. One of my friend's sister is a teacher for the SDU school system and she said it was impossible to get a job with most of the better school districts. This girl has spent a few years substituting and is trying to get a full time position. She is originally from San Diego, has contacts here and also has a Master's degree and she was telling me how tough it is.

Plano is a city I know well as I used to own a rental property there. It's a nice enough area with great schools as you mentioned. But you just have to figure that MANY people all want to move to San Diego so it's different vs. Plano, which is a nice enough affordable city but you don't have everyone and their brother/sister wanting to move there. Also, many large companies are based right there around Plano so there is a plethora of jobs. San Diego just isn't like that for the most part.

I would say anyone in the teaching profession coming to San Diego... just expect for it to take quite a while before you find a teaching job. Moved always has great advice on that subject and seems to be spot on target based on what other teachers that I know in the area say.

I agree about the HORRIBLE capital appreciation bonds for the PUSD but quite honestly, I would be willing to bet with anyone that wants to take the bet that by the time these capital appreciation bond taxes increase, real estate prices in the PUSD will be much higher than they are now. I've said this before but as long as the school district stays solid, these aren't going to affect real estate prices in any big negative way.

The average tax increase for the typical property owner won't make much of a difference for parents that want to send their kids to good schools. It's like the argument against homes with very high Mello Roos taxes. Yeah, there is always a segment of the population that won't want to pay them. However, there always will be parents that will be willing to pay the increased taxes to send their kids to a good school district.

Mello Roos taxes in my neighborhood are pretty steep. My neighbor just sold his house in 12 HOURS after listing it. High Mello Roos taxes and all.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,108 times
Edjoin.org is the best route.

Also, maybe start private and then transfer to a public school system. Or, become an aide. I worked out of school as an aide for Del Mar Union. Good pay.

I went to SDSU, but moved for my teaching job. I then moved back and got a job from out of state. I flew back twice to interview....that's how bad I wanted it!

I'd avoid San Diego Unified, but if you need a job it's a start.

There are a lot of districts- I want to say 36 or so. Fill out sub forms for all of them! You will get work.

Best advice, sub, leave business cards after each job, get an 'aide' position if nothing turns up job wise as a full time teacher. If you do well and you are licensed, they will hire you. Get your CA credential! Go to the teacher licensing department. Also, they frequently hire 'long term' subs. A way to get your foot in the door.

It's competitive, but with hard work you will find a position.

Best Elementary districts are
Solana Beach
Del Mar
Poway
North County Consortium (Encinitas) IMHO
Southbay and Chula Vista, as well as La Mesa are also very decent

Old 05-31-2013, 05:59 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Everyone makes some excellent comments here. Especially about how difficult it is for teachers here. San Diego is NOT really the place to be a teacher unless you already have a full-time job. I'm not saying it's impossible to get a job but this is a tough area like moved correctly mentioned.

I have some friends here that have family members that are teachers and they all tell me how rough it is. One of my friend's sister is a teacher for the SDU school system and she said it was impossible to get a job with most of the better school districts. This girl has spent a few years substituting and is trying to get a full time position. She is originally from San Diego, has contacts here and also has a Master's degree and she was telling me how tough it is.

Plano is a city I know well as I used to own a rental property there. It's a nice enough area with great schools as you mentioned. But you just have to figure that MANY people all want to move to San Diego so it's different vs. Plano, which is a nice enough affordable city but you don't have everyone and their brother/sister wanting to move there. Also, many large companies are based right there around Plano so there is a plethora of jobs. San Diego just isn't like that for the most part.

I would say anyone in the teaching profession coming to San Diego... just expect for it to take quite a while before you find a teaching job. Moved always has great advice on that subject and seems to be spot on target based on what other teachers that I know in the area say.

I agree about the HORRIBLE capital appreciation bonds for the PUSD but quite honestly, I would be willing to bet with anyone that wants to take the bet that by the time these capital appreciation bond taxes increase, real estate prices in the PUSD will be much higher than they are now. I've said this before but as long as the school district stays solid, these aren't going to affect real estate prices in any big negative way.

The average tax increase for the typical property owner won't make much of a difference for parents that want to send their kids to good schools. It's like the argument against homes with very high Mello Roos taxes. Yeah, there is always a segment of the population that won't want to pay them. However, there always will be parents that will be willing to pay the increased taxes to send their kids to a good school district.

Mello Roos taxes in my neighborhood are pretty steep. My neighbor just sold his house in 12 HOURS after listing it. High Mello Roos taxes and all.
Mello Roos is not determined by the school district. It is determined by each individual development as to whether the developer pays for it or the buyer does. We bought a brand new home in Poway and did not pay any Mello Roos. We also don't pay any Mello Roos on our current home which is pretty rare for this area because of its newness. In fact we have never paid Mello Roos on any of the 7 new homes we have purchased in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego