Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:04 AM

2,979 posts, read 1,565,458 times

Advertisements

How do readers in North County get their local news now?

Quote:
Oceanside is the county’s 3rd largest city with about 180,000 residents.

What are the chances that absolutely nothing newsworthy happened in Oceanside for five days straight?

That’s what you might believe if you relied on the U-T for news. From May 27 through June 2, the U-T, now the only daily paper serving Oceanside ran no Oceanside news stories. And on June 3 there were two short items, one about Councilwoman Sanchez maybe running for higher office, and one about a car wreck on I-5.

I would venture to say that there was Oceanside news that week. I would also suggest that the lack of reporting is probably just the way things are going to be at the UT from now on.

You see, on May 27 U-T Oceanside reporter Ray Huard was told his position was eliminated. Huard and at least seven other North County U-T newsroom staffers were victims of a personnel purge. From here on out, there won’t be an “Oceanside reporter.” Now one reporter will cover both Oceanside and Vista. (The U-T did the same thing by combining the Carlsbad and San Marcos beats). All eight news people fired were former North County Times employees who became U-T employees when the larger paper bought out the NCT in September.

And oh yeah, and not only is there no longer a North County Times, there is no North County section in the U-T any more.
Read More

My mother who lives in North County has been a subscriber of the U-T for over 40 years until Manchester ruined it. She now subscribes to the LA Times instead which really doesn't cover the area that much either, but is far superior in world coverage, has a higher caliber of reporting, and a much wider appeal. You don't read their sports section to out find much about the San Diego teams unless they're playing an LA or OC team though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 12:21 AM

91 posts, read 335,314 times
Try the "North County Times"

Old 06-09-2013, 01:59 AM

788 posts, read 1,877,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorn_Resiliency View Post

LOL

Old 06-09-2013, 08:08 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorn_Resiliency View Post
Thats the whole point of the OP's thread. Manchester bought the NC Times and now its shrinking due to payroll cuts according to him. Which means less coverage.

Where will our North County news come from? | The Coast News

OP, it looks like readers may have to go online now like Patch or the website above for local news.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
UT covers North County...they have a separate edition...I just finished reading it

Old 06-09-2013, 09:42 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Yeah, what happened is after Manchester bought it, they included the North County section in the regular UT Tribune. But a few weeks ago, they stopped including it for several zipcodes. I live in 92127 and they used to include it but a few weeks ago they quietly removed it and said you can only read that section online. I believe they do include it for the zip codes further North.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:04 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
The UT is a garbage paper which just keeps shrinking and shrinking.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:14 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The UT is a garbage paper which just keeps shrinking and shrinking.

I hear that often but the truth of the matter is it's still a decent source of LOCAL news. I can't see giving up the subscription for getting local news.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:30 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I hear that often but the truth of the matter is it's still a decent source of LOCAL news. I can't see giving up the subscription for getting local news.
I'd only agree with the UT as a decent source for local news if you also read something to balance it. Otherwise you're only going to get the local news that "papa doug" wants you to see.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:11 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
I'm glad to see Filner sticking it to creepy Papa Doug.
ER, I think the paper can be both garbage and a source of local news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego