Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 11:11 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhogan3 View Post
I am planning on selling my home.

17 years ago we purchased the home with a non-permitted addition. Other homes that were the same model as mine end at the end of the family room and have a sliding glass door that leads to a patio.

At the end of my family room is the sliding glass door, but it leads into an additional 14x14.5 room with a door that leads to a patio off the side of the room and 2 large windows.

I purchased the home as a 1440 Sq ft home (addition not included in the sf). I don't remember if it was mentioned in the listing or the purchase contract. It was a very quick sale. We purchased the home for $2000 less than the current owner owed the bank, he had moved out of the country and the bank handled the sale for him. We purchased it within 14 hours of it going on the market because the price was ridiculously low. (Went on the MLS at 8 pm - signed contracts at 10 am). We have had no problems with the addition or the home. Had the roof replaced and no one has noted any issues.

What are my options when selling? Is it worth the risk to try to get the addition permitted now so that we can include the SQ Ft in the sale price? Without any plumbing what are the risks that trying to get it permitted would backfire and cost more than it would add to the value of the home? Can appraisers add value per sqft at a discounted $ for the addition?

The addition does not encroach on set backs - I am left with a 60ft x 60 ft back yard and the side yard wall is flush with the original house and maintains the required 10 ft distance between the house and the fence.
Very simple. First. stop worrying about it and pay no mind to fear mongering. List the house. Disclose the non-permitted addition. People buy and sell homes with "no-permit" additional all the time.

It is always better to beg forgiveness than ask permission for something like this. Running to the code enforcement of planning isn't very smart. You didn't and did code enforcement pay you a visit? What changed? Nothing. Do yourself a favor and remember something, it is already done. If your disclose it and it sells, there is no recourse, you told them.

The appraisers are going to come to a valuation based on what is there and consider the "as-builts" plus permitted additions if any.

Your potential buyers have a choice, they can make an offer and include a contingency that you get the permit, they can accept as is or not offer. It really is as simple as that.

You know who gets into trouble over permits? People that make noise, demand things and in general create their own problems.

You can disclose the non-permit issue and sell the house "as-is" saying you will not get a permit. I reiterate, houses without "permit" additions are listed and sell all the time. Code enforcement has better things to do that scan the MLS looking for non-permit additions that existed more than a decade ago. In the appraisal you'll see something like 2 different square footage notes. One as the plans exist on file at the county or city and one that is actual.

Don't fret over this and the horror stories, they are the exception not the rule and you'll usually find someone that went down to planning and made noise. It's been at least 17 years since the addition was put in by someone else and suddenly this becomes an issue? Yeah maybe if you stand on the street corner yapping about it.

List the house as usual, disclose when required and be done with it. Negotiate if you want over the permit but don't feel obligated to do so. It is what it is, and you're selling what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 01:59 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the advice! One more question - how do I find a qualified engineer to inspect the work and assist me with the process if they believe it is sound? Sorry - I am simply not experienced with any of this.
If you choose to try to get a permit, look in yelp for "permit" near "San Diego".

I have no idea how big a deal it is to sell with an unpermitted addition. It's probably worth more exploring into the advantages and disadvantages of doing so. I wonder if any of the permit services would be able to give you advice on that ...

Old 06-14-2013, 07:16 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

You can disclose the non-permit issue and sell the house "as-is" saying you will not get a permit. I reiterate, houses without "permit" additions are listed and sell all the time. Code enforcement has better things to do that scan the MLS looking for non-permit additions that existed more than a decade ago. In the appraisal you'll see something like 2 different square footage notes. One as the plans exist on file at the county or city and one that is actual.

Don't fret over this and the horror stories, they are the exception not the rule and you'll usually find someone that went down to planning and made noise. It's been at least 17 years since the addition was put in by someone else and suddenly this becomes an issue? Yeah maybe if you stand on the street corner yapping about it.

List the house as usual, disclose when required and be done with it. Negotiate if you want over the permit but don't feel obligated to do so. It is what it is, and you're selling what it is.
This Person speaks the Truth^^^^
I sold my last house with a unpermitted patio room with no issues.
If you still think you need to go this route(remember we warned you not too)do like oddstay said and find a licensed contractor.
Good Luck with everything

Old 06-15-2013, 03:27 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Half the houses we looked at had unpermitted add ons or garage conversions. It is very common.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:02 AM

5 posts, read 7,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
This Person speaks the Truth^^^^
I sold my last house with a unpermitted patio room with no issues.
If you still think you need to go this route(remember we warned you not too)do like oddstay said and find a licensed contractor.
Good Luck with everything
Thank you for the first hand experience. When you sold your home did you add the sf into the total or list at the as built sf. When I bought I felt like I made out because the bank listed the property at 1450 SQ FT. not 1650. They appraised at 1450. The appraisal didn't include any value for the addition.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the first hand experience. When you sold your home did you add the sf into the total or list at the as built sf. When I bought I felt like I made out because the bank listed the property at 1450 SQ FT. not 1650. They appraised at 1450. The appraisal didn't include any value the addition.
You can not list The square ft for a non permitted Room Addition.My agent listed our house as a 2 bedroom 1.75 bath with ***Bonus Room***
I still sold house slightly under what 3 bedrooms houses were selling for in my Area (-$1500)
My real estate agent told me the same thing we are telling you,the risk reward is just not there.
He also told me to stop watching those flipper shows,They're all staged

Old 06-17-2013, 10:24 AM

5 posts, read 7,872 times
Not really asking based on flipper shows - I happen to be a data analyst in a completely different field (National Medicare Provider data) . If I were looking to do a comparative analysis to evaluate the target selling price of a home the first thing I would evaluate would be the sale price per sqare foot within 3 mile radius of the home.

My work is very exacting - 90% of all medicare recipiants in a county must have access to each type of medical provider within an x mile radius of their home. If it is 89% the network does not pass muster. We are not adequately serving the needs of the elderly.

Real Estate appraisal seems much more lienient. I not sure I understand how they justify a price without qualifying data to back up their analysis.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Not really asking based on flipper shows -
That jab was at me
I was watching a bunch of those shows at the time and tried telling my agent how to do his job.

Quote:
Real Estate appraisal seems much more lenient. I not sure I understand how they justify a price without qualifying data to back up their analysis.
Real estate appraisals are not really that Lenient.In fact a lot of facts and figures go into a agents final analysis.
It's almost exactly like your job and just like in your job you have professionals that figure out stuff right?
That's were a qualified real estate agent/contractor would come in.They get paid to figure this stuff out not a bunch of dudes and chicks on a message board.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:19 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
That jab was at me
I was watching a bunch of those shows at the time and tried telling my agent how to do his job.

Real estate appraisals are not really that Lenient.In fact a lot of facts and figures go into a agents final analysis.
It's almost exactly like your job and just like in your job you have professionals that figure out stuff right?
That's were a qualified real estate agent/contractor would come in.They get paid to figure this stuff out not a bunch of dudes and chicks on a message board.
But, our advice is free, even if it's wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: