Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:43 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkthetalk View Post
Hi ER, I am going to be participating in some training in North County, so I think it's best to live there or at least near there. I was advised on C-D that Vista below I-78 was a nicer area.
There are nice parts in Vista, San Marcos and so on and then there are older not so nice parts. I love going to Frys out that way, but other than that, those areas remind me of anywhere USA. Plazas, malls, cars, franchise restaurants and stores, etc. If you compare Carlsbad and Vista it's far different. If you want the suburban mall like existence, Vista might work. And it's cheaper.

I just don't like places like Vista because they really feel like I could find that anywhere else in the US. Maybe the weather is better, maybe you are closer to the beaches, but if you work/live in that area, you'll spend most of your time in that area. And to me, I'd have no desire to spend a ton of money living in a place that feels like it's anywhere USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 06:23 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Excellent analogy, especially if you're talking about areas like Lincoln Park a few decades ago. (I'm thinking the Chicago hipsters have moved to other neighborhoods more recently.)

Thanks yep they moved to Bucktown. Being tragically hip just gets exhausting after awhile. Laid back San Diego to me should be more, well...laid back and less self-conscious about being urban and cool

Though I do like urban and cool I just don't need to prove it you know. I like my comforts too and will shop at Walmart if that's the cheapest place to get my stuff, at 3am ...

ok to finish with the thread now, I been busy this week!

Old 06-13-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You better like fog if you want to live near the beach.
I already live by the beach (literally, about a block away) in Oxnard. So... I know.

But I think San Diego has less issues with the marine layer than we do and its warmer, not a lot but noticeably warmer and sunnier than here.

I kind of like the 5 miles inland idea, and have been toying with that here too.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 PM

142 posts, read 205,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Ah ok... I was just curious. That's all. Because all these areas are drastically different from one another. I just saw you mention areas in your posts like La Jolla and Del Mar or UTC but then I started seeing other areas like Vista so I just got confused as they are so different from one another.
I've never been in Vista so I wouldn't understand the chasm yet, but going by the fact that I haven't seen Vista on the "10 most exclusive places to live" list, I get your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
There are nice parts in Vista, San Marcos and so on and then there are older not so nice parts. I love going to Frys out that way, but other than that, those areas remind me of anywhere USA. Plazas, malls, cars, franchise restaurants and stores, etc. If you compare Carlsbad and Vista it's far different. If you want the suburban mall like existence, Vista might work. And it's cheaper.

I just don't like places like Vista because they really feel like I could find that anywhere else in the US. Maybe the weather is better, maybe you are closer to the beaches, but if you work/live in that area, you'll spend most of your time in that area. And to me, I'd have no desire to spend a ton of money living in a place that feels like it's anywhere USA.
I wouldn't want to settle down in blandness forever, but I think for now a place like Vista sounds appropriate. It's proximal to where I want to be, quiet (not under a flight path), and the price is right. Plus I checked out Vista on YouTube and it looks pretty. The "chic" is not high on my list of priorities at this time given the saturation of urbanism of where I am now. Perhaps later when I'm ready I can choose a more stylish area, like Carlsbad (though it's possible I might forget all about Vista when I see Carlsbad).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
....Being tragically hip just gets exhausting after awhile. Laid back San Diego to me should be more, well...laid back and less self-conscious about being urban and cool

Though I do like urban and cool I just don't need to prove it you know. I like my comforts too and will shop at Walmart if that's the cheapest place to get my stuff, at 3am ...
RGB I couldn't have said it better for myself

Old 06-13-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You better like fog if you want to live near the beach.
Is it foggy all day? Doesn't it clear up by afternoon?

Old 06-13-2013, 07:35 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I already live by the beach (literally, about a block away) in Oxnard. So... I know.

But I think San Diego has less issues with the marine layer than we do and its warmer, not a lot but noticeably warmer and sunnier than here.

I kind of like the 5 miles inland idea, and have been toying with that here too.
Quote:
Is it foggy all day? Doesn't it clear up by afternoon?

I TOTALLY love living about 5 or 6 miles in from the beach. The difference on many days is like night and day. What I love is we almost always avoid the marine layering and it's clear blue skies and sunny yet we avoid the really hotter temperatures like you can get once you go even further in. We've mentioned it many times on this board but it's remarkable even how a few extra miles can be with the temperature. Sometimes as much as 10+ degrees difference.

Yes, it does burn off but many days it can be totally sunny and then just drive into Del Mar and La Jolla and it's still fogged in even in the afternoon. Don't get me wrong.....it's still a paradise there but I underestimated before moving here how much more I'd enjoy living a few miles inland.

To some people it might not matter too much and they enjoy living closer to the water. But my attitude is unless you are right on the beach with an ocean view.... I don't mind being a few miles inland and just driving to the beach and having sunny skies most days year-round. Now, if you give me the option of having a multi-million dollar house right there over looking the ocean in Del Mar or La Jolla I might be singing a different tune. LOL. But with no view, I'd rather live where I do.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:57 PM

I agree, the view makes the difference, or being able to walk to the beach like I can right now. That is probably comparable to Camarillo over here by Oxnard, its about that distance inland too....and people do say they choose it for the weather.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I TOTALLY love living about 5 or 6 miles in from the beach. The difference on many days is like night and day. What I love is we almost always avoid the marine layering and it's clear blue skies and sunny yet we avoid the really hotter temperatures like you can get once you go even further in. We've mentioned it many times on this board but it's remarkable even how a few extra miles can be with the temperature. Sometimes as much as 10+ degrees difference.

Yes, it does burn off but many days it can be totally sunny and then just drive into Del Mar and La Jolla and it's still fogged in even in the afternoon. Don't get me wrong.....it's still a paradise there but I underestimated before moving here how much more I'd enjoy living a few miles inland.

To some people it might not matter too much and they enjoy living closer to the water. But my attitude is unless you are right on the beach with an ocean view.... I don't mind being a few miles inland and just driving to the beach and having sunny skies most days year-round. Now, if you give me the option of having a multi-million dollar house right there over looking the ocean in Del Mar or La Jolla I might be singing a different tune. LOL. But with no view, I'd rather live where I do.
Come to think of it, when I've driven through Del Mar & La Jolla in the past I recall it being grey and not particularly sunny like CV or La Mesa, for example. Consequently, I equate CV/La Mesa with having more charm because I guess I really like sunny skies.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
Come to think of it, when I've driven through Del Mar & La Jolla in the past I recall it being grey and not particularly sunny like CV or La Mesa, for example. Consequently, I equate CV/La Mesa with having more charm because I guess I really like sunny skies.
Yes, it gets fogged in quite a bit.

But to be fair, I would NOT say Carmel Valley is "charming". That isn't a word I'd use to describe CV. Yes, it's in a great location, the weather is great, great environment to raise kids, schools are excellent, etc. But I wouldn't call it "charming".

Most of the reasons why people live there are parents with young kids that want to raise their kids as it's ideal for the reasons I mentioned. But I wouldn't say it's "charming" per se.

I think you have a TON of options when you don't have to worry about school districts and also not having to commute to work so take your time and get it right.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:46 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Intrepid View Post
So if you are concerned about safety, you probably don't want to live downtown downtown. There are a bunch of homeless people there and they can get aggressive.

I think you can get away from it all if you find the right apartment..that is serene and quiet. But still step out and be in the midst of things all.
This is just not true. Believe me, I know many women who feel just fine walking around downtown, with the homeless people around. They're an annoyance, not a threat.

Many of these women walk home from their jobs late at night and they feel perfectly safe.

As for a place that's quiet, but where you can get into the middle of the craziness if you want, I've found it. I'm in the East Village. Oh, but the East Village isn't safe, you'll hear. There's nothing but homeless people and the police station there.

Yeah, whatever. There are three new apartment projects going up, the IDEA cluster is breaking ground, and the new library is opening up. But no, nothing but homeless people and the police station.

I would also suggest Banker's Hill or Park West. You will hear people warn you about the noise from the planes, but it's really not that bad. A couple of weeks ago I was there and a plane was flying overhead and I was on the phone with someone. I was able to continue the conversation.

Little Italy is nice as well, but you will get more street noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego