Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 05:47 PM

40 posts, read 120,399 times

Advertisements

Hello San Diegans,

My wife and I are moving to San Diego from Kentucky the last week of July. We've been researching/reading for years and visited in the fall to scout out and determine which areas might be right for us. We're both late 20s college grads, professional jobs (I'll be working from home, wife will be working from home and some travel), no kids, and would like to spend no more than $3k for a 2/2 or 3/2 home or townhouse. We do have a dog, so we'd prefer not to do an apartment. The areas we're focused on are OB, PB, Bay Park, possibly mission valley, and maybe Clairemont. We've pretty much ruled out North Park and Hillcrest - though they seem like cool areas - as it seems difficult to find a house (apartments are available) in those areas for that price.

We'd ideally like to be close to some stuff to walk to (at least a grocery store and maybe a few restaurants or bars) but don't have to be in the center of everything. We'd like to be somewhere safe and within the city of San Diego - we'd like to stay away from North county. It would be an added bonus to be close to the trolley.

I have a few questions that I'd really appreciate some local insight on if anyone would care to help!

1. Is it worth renting a short term deal for a month or two just to look around? I've heard others mention that there are many rentals that just have signs up and are never posted on the web. Is it possible to get a realtor in the area to help us find a rental and work with us remotely until we move? Anyone have a similar situation and have helpful moving tips or things they wish they'd done?
2. Clairemont is an area we didn't even visit while we were there, but it seems that there are quite a few people on CD that live there and seem to like it... plus it seems almost too affordable. I realize it's really residential. Is it too far out (IYO)? Too boring? Too far from the beach?
3. Are there any specific areas or additional areas you would recommend for us? Anywhere I mentioned that you'd stay the hell away from?

Thanks much for your help! I love your city and we're super excited to get there .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 06:18 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,559,793 times
If you're looking for some place to buy, I'd definitely recommend renting for a while until you have a chance to look around and find what you like and don't like.

Clairmont is actually pretty close to the beach.

It's an older area, having developed post WW2. Along its major streets it has lots of apartments. The south part has a bit of gang activity. These are the reasons its real estate prices are lower than other neighborhoods.

If you avoid those areas, though, Clairmont is pretty nice. A little boring, maybe. I'm not sure it will have many condos/townhouses, though. The areas I'm thinking of are mostly SFHs.

Be careful of National City, the western part of Chula Vista (the eastern part is fine), San Ysidro/Imperial Beach. City Heights is pretty gritty right now but they're working at improving it. Parts of El Cajon are rough, and parts are nice. When you're looking at a specific address in any of these neighborhoods (or in any neighborhood of San Diego), ask us here about that and we'll be able to provide opinions about it.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,247,043 times
Agreed with oddstray. Most definitely rent first.

Clairemont covers a large area (zip code wise) from the 5 to the 805. IMHO its hard to paint a broad brush on most neighborhoods in San Diego that are older. Clairemont is one of them. It might be lesser expensive on the busier roads where I have seen the most garden style apartments. It seems they dont have stellar reputations, but I really dont know first hand or anyone that has ever lived in any of them.

For example we have friends that live in Clairemont Mesa and own a home. The area that they live is pretty rough looking and they paid what I consider, a lot of money for a not so great house (500k) and 1200sq ft. just last year.

I think where THEY live is boring and completely car dependent but thats not what I would say about all of Clairemont. The good thing for them is, that even though are car dependent to get basically get anywhere, its not that far of a drive for most strip mallish needs. Side streets to the beach.

However, go to other parts of Clairemont...even a few streets away from where my friends live and its quite nice. Housing stock is the same but some of those streets have homeowners that maintain their properties with more diligence.

I think its an ok place to live that can be affordable and close to the water without the sticker price. But YMMV. Some folks come to SD where living within blocks of the beach is priority #1.

Just with a house might be tough. The rental market here, while great, might demand a little more money for a house. You could get something in Clairemont though methinks. Smaller house maybe.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:01 PM

Thanks for your replies, that's very helpful.

What about mission valley? Unfortunately the home selection there seems even more slim, but we drove round there quite a bit and it seems nice, safe, close to stuff.

Bay park is an area I'm really interested in, but there's not a whole lot there in terms of rentals that I'm seeing, which makes me wonder if there are many that aren't posted? I found this one that seems to fit jut what we're looking for if anyone can speak to the area.

OB is also an area that I'm interested in, but when we were out people kind of gave us mixed reviews about the safety and how the area is 'grungy'.

Again, thanks so much for your help!

Old 06-10-2013, 07:02 PM

Also, we are certainly not buying. I'd like to rent for at least a few years because it will probably take that long before we really get to know the area.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:27 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,247,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsABeach View Post
Thanks for your replies, that's very helpful.

What about mission valley? Unfortunately the home selection there seems even more slim, but we drove round there quite a bit and it seems nice, safe, close to stuff.

Bay park is an area I'm really interested in, but there's not a whole lot there in terms of rentals that I'm seeing, which makes me wonder if there are many that aren't posted? I found this one that seems to fit jut what we're looking for if anyone can speak to the area.

OB is also an area that I'm interested in, but when we were out people kind of gave us mixed reviews about the safety and how the area is 'grungy'.

Again, thanks so much for your help!
Mission Valley has good rental options, but not for houses. Mostly townhomes and condos. Its somewhat vanilla in terms of feel but its main advantage is location and freeway access. In terms of temporary living like renting, its a nice place to start. There is better or worse.

These neighborhoods like Bay Park or OB, you really might have more luck driving around and see For Rent signs, more so than seeing them online via craigslist etc.
While you can certainly find them on C/L anyone I know that rent in OB found the apartment driving around or passed by the place or got word from friend.

Grungy yes, I suppose you can call OB that. But I am not certain Grungy = dangerous per se. San Diego is a very safe place for the most part where most people mind their own business.
Just know that in OB, its more like a dense city than a suburb in the hills in terms of its eclectic nature in people that hang out and live there. So with that comes urban elements to a degree. Some people hate it, others dont care or even pay attention. Its all matter of perspective.

For example I could care less. These guys are welcome to hang out at the beach as much as myself. I am not there to judge them nor have I ever been harassed.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:58 AM

4,530 posts, read 12,355,886 times
Do you REALLY need a 3/2 house? Would a 2/1 house work? Remember, your yard is usable 90% of the year during the day, and about half the time during the evenings.

Much of what you want in a neighborhood, walkable to things to do, really calls for neighborhoods like North Park, South Park, University Heights, Normal Heights, and Kensington (if you could afford it). You might also like Rolando and Talmadge. I agree you would like Ocean Beach. Having a Dog Beach is a major plus. I think you would be disappointed by the non-walkability of Clairemont and Mission Valley.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:32 AM

Thanks for the insight - we'll definitely be concentrating more on OB. It seems like just the right blend for us, if we can find a home in our price range. Again, I think it might be worth renting a short term place first to get an idea of the area as well as find rentals that aren't posted online.

Can anyone recommend a short term place? I'm searching airbnb but it's already a little slim...

Old 06-11-2013, 09:24 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,559,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Agreed with oddstray. Most definitely rent first.

Clairemont ... might be lesser expensive on the busier roads where I have seen the most garden style apartments. It seems they dont have stellar reputations, but I really dont know first hand or anyone that has ever lived in any of them.
... .
I know someone who lived there for some years. Avoid them if you can. They're just not pleasant - noisy due to the traffic around, quite old and in various levels of kept-up, and there are sketchy people wandering around since these are not gated communities.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:27 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,541,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsABeach View Post
Thanks for the insight - we'll definitely be concentrating more on OB. It seems like just the right blend for us, if we can find a home in our price range. Again, I think it might be worth renting a short term place first to get an idea of the area as well as find rentals that aren't posted online.

Can anyone recommend a short term place? I'm searching airbnb but it's already a little slim...
We rented a nice home in Sunset Cliffs (just south of the downtown area of OB) for almost 2 years. Sunset Cliffs is a beautiful area. However, a decent rental home in Sunset Cliffs (if you can find one to rent) will be in the $3-4k range or more.

Our current home is in Bay Ho which is the far west side of Clairemont. We live behind the Costco off Morena Blvd. The area is very quiet and very safe. My biggest problem is boat owners taking all of our limited street parking. Other than the Costco and a few small retail businesses, the area is not very walkable.

Here's a Bay Ho rental: Single-story home with incredible View to Mission Bay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego