Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 05:58 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,357,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnvas View Post
I can go up to $1800 to $2000. right now I am paying around $1200/month in Dallas( Irving area ).I can drive 15 to 20 minutes. School district is my priority.

Thanks
Dsnvas

Ah, yeah that will be much better if you can go up to $2,000 range. 2 years ago while we were waiting to close on our house we rented a 3 bedroom 2.5 bathroom townhouse in Carmel Valley for $2,700 per month. It was VERY nice. I know the rental market is tighter now probably vs. 2 years ago but I'd think for $2,000 for a 2 bedroom there should be something.

I was going to mention what doc just mentioned if you moved to Mira Mesa. I know some of the schools have a good reputation but just look at each individual school based on where you will live.

In Carmel Valley there really aren't any bad elementary schools at all. That area is GREAT for raising kids! And the schools are excellent!

Also, as AZ2SD mentioned, there are some apartment complexes near 4SRanch (92127) and the schools are good in this area as well.

Ah, ok if you live in Irving you are used to driving around probably unless you work in the Irving area as well. I know Dallas very well as I lived there for 8 years. You will LOVE San Diego compared to Dallas.

If school district is your priority, I'd try to stay in Carmel Valley (92130) or within the Poway Unified School District. I have a 5 year old as well so feel free to PM me if you need any advice on things here in the area. I live here in the area not far from Intuit.

PS. It looks like there is stuff for your new budget in Carmel Valley:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/apa/3866342643.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/apa/3851540708.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/apa/3878029163.html

https://www.padmapper.com/show.php?t...32701&src=main

Even Del Mar has some things in the $2,000 range:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/apa/3873936812.html

Also, as oddstray mentioned, you won't spend NEARLY the amount on utilities like Irving. In the summer there you probably spend a fortune. Heck, even in the winter, it can get chilly there and gas bills can add up. Here you won't spend much of anything on utilities compared to Dallas. Your car insurance should also go down compared to Dallas. Yeah, rent is a lot more vs. Irving/Dallas but there is so much to do here and your kids will LOVE it here.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 06-18-2013 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 06:17 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,550,988 times
OP, what address of Intuit will you be working at?

Old 06-18-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
OP, what address of Intuit will you be working at?
Ah. I just assumed it was the 7535 Torrey Santa Fe Road SD 92129 location. I didn't know they had multiple locations in San Diego. Do they have multiple locations here in San Diego? I thought they just had the Consumer Tax Group building there.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:27 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,550,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Ah. I just assumed it was the 7535 Torrey Santa Fe Road SD 92129 location. I didn't know they had multiple locations in San Diego. Do they have multiple locations here in San Diego? I thought they just had the Consumer Tax Group building there.
I didn't know either, but people are suggesting Mira Mesa for someone working in 92129. There's no direct way to get from Mira Mesa to 92129 - one would need to go either over to I-5 or I-15 (or nearly that far). It sounds like people here are assuming Intuit is over near Del Mar or Sorrento Mesa, and 92129 is not any of those.

So I was (still am) confused.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I didn't know either, but people are suggesting Mira Mesa for someone working in 92129. There's no direct way to get from Mira Mesa to 92129 - one would need to go either over to I-5 or I-15 (or nearly that far). It sounds like people here are assuming Intuit is over near Del Mar or Sorrento Mesa, and 92129 is not any of those.

I think they just suggested Mira Mesa due to the lower prices/budget that the OP originally had.

That Intuit building is just at Camino del Sur and I-56. So really Mira Mesa isn't far either. Obviously it probably depends where exactly in Mira Mesa you live but you can easily just jump on Black Mountain Road that goes all the way to I-56 then it's just one exit up to Camino del Sur so that isn't far at all. Black Mountain Road never has much traffic on it and it's only up one exit. (Although traffic on Mira Mesa Blvd. blows if you have to travel any great distance on it during peak hours).

Nope, I know exactly where that building is. I just threw out options in Del Mar because the OP mentioned she wanted really good schools and I wanted to show how a bump up in her budget could even get things over in that area. But really Del Mar isn't far at all from that Intuit building.

Heading to work in the morning you are going against traffic. So you can easily just jump on Del Mar Heights or get on I-56 heading East and then Camino del Sur is not too far and there isn't traffic heading that way in the morning. All the traffic is heading West on I-56 in the morning.

I don't think it would be a big deal to live in anywhere in 92127, 92129, 92130 or even Mira Mesa isn't that far either. Even from Rancho Bernardo there are off highway paths you can take to Intuit that aren't bad. For example, there are several apartment buildings near 4S Ranch as you pass it up on Bernardo Center Drive. I'm not sure the prices but one of the parents of our daughter's friend lived there and seemed to like it ok. I'm not sure of prices however.

So assuming the OP got something there as well, you can just jump up on Bernardo Center Drive which turns into Carmel Valley Road and then take a left on Camino del Sur totally avoiding the highway.

Lots more options when you can increase your budget up to $2,000 a month from $1,500 a month.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:48 AM

358 posts, read 582,461 times
Quote:

How about Black mountain to the 56 and exit on Camino Del Sur? Shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes, since you're going against traffic. Most people go into Mira Mesa for work, not out of it. So, for $1800-2000, you can rent a house like this: Spacious home in Beautiful neighborhood. Upgraded finishes and close to shopping in Mira Mesa. This is how long it'll take you to get to work: Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions. 6.6 miles isn't too bad. Now, if you want to bike through the canyons, you can get there pretty quickly as well. This is the school your kid would go to: 2012 Base API School Report - Ericson Elementary. This school also have a Seminar program as well. So, if your kid is smart enough, he/she can get into that program.

Even from Western part of Mira Mesa, you're 8 miles and 16 minutes away: http://binged.it/16gQpGR. Keep in mind that as I pointed out earlier, you'll be going against traffic, so your commute will be very smooth, because the lights on MM Blvd. will stay on for a very long time and there won't be many cars going your direction. Most other commuters will go the other way.

But, it's not the BEST school, so I'm not pushing it. Once I found out his/her budget is $1800-$2000 and he/she want the BEST school, I immediate think of Carmel Valley. Carmel Valley hands down have the best school in the entire San Diego.

Last edited by docmcstuffin; 06-19-2013 at 11:59 AM..

Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmcstuffin View Post
How about Black mountain to the 56 and exit on Camino Del Sur? Shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes, since you're going against traffic. Most people go into Mira Mesa for work, not out of it. So, for $1800-2000, you can rent a house like this: Spacious home in Beautiful neighborhood. Upgraded finishes and close to shopping in Mira Mesa. This is how long it'll take you to get to work: Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions. 6.6 miles isn't too bad. Now, if you want to bike through the canyons, you can get there pretty quickly as well. This is the school your kid would go to: 2012 Base API School Report - Ericson Elementary. This school also have a Seminar program as well. So, if your kid is smart enough, he/she can get into that program.

Even from Western part of Mira Mesa, you're 8 miles and 16 minutes away: Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions. Keep in mind that as I pointed out earlier, you'll be going against traffic, so your commute will be very smooth, because the lights on MM Blvd. will stay on for a very long time and there won't be many cars going your direction. Most other commuters will go the other way.

But, it's not the BEST school, so I'm not pushing it. Once I found out his/her budget is $1800-$2000 and he/she want the BEST school, I immediate think of Carmel Valley. Carmel Valley hands down have the best school in the entire San Diego.
Exactly! Plus the OP lives over in Irving. Now Irving isn't central to Dallas so I'm sure they are used to driving MUCH further distances. (For frame of reference, Irving is almost as far out as DFW airport). Like Doc mentioned, all of those areas are not far at all from Intuit. But I totally agree if education and schools are a priority with the increased budget, Carmel Valley is kind of a no brainer to me.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,684 times
Hi my name is Edgar Lopez, I will start in Intuit soon, I'm moving from Philadelphia , do you mind to share the info about where did you find apartment and about the commute to the office?

greetings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego