Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 12:02 AM

200 posts, read 354,099 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place to buy antique/2nd hand/retro furniture in SD? Reasonably priced furniture. Don't mind a DIY project. After a sideboard and maybe a butcher's block or a table I can use as a cutting bench in the kitchen, plus a few other things. I have an eclectic sense of style.

Happy if the furniture is already restored, but not happy to pay ridiculously inflated prices.

Is there an area known for this kind of stuff? Or is it a case of, to get the real good stuff do you have to wake up at the crack of dawn and rock up to garage sales and deceased estates to compete with the dealers?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 11:28 PM

bumpity bump

Old 06-24-2013, 08:23 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
I know nothing about antiques, but all of my furniture came from Salvation Army. The downtown store has the largest selection, and you can call them to see when their next 40% day is. And get there early that day, because it can get crowded. That's where I go when I'm looking for a piece of furniture.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:50 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possum_magic View Post
Where is the best place to buy antique/2nd hand/retro furniture in SD? Reasonably priced furniture. Don't mind a DIY project. After a sideboard and maybe a butcher's block or a table I can use as a cutting bench in the kitchen, plus a few other things. I have an eclectic sense of style.

Happy if the furniture is already restored, but not happy to pay ridiculously inflated prices.

Is there an area known for this kind of stuff? Or is it a case of, to get the real good stuff do you have to wake up at the crack of dawn and rock up to garage sales and deceased estates to compete with the dealers?

TIA
Garage sales, estate sales, Kobey's swap meet. I've found a lot of killer midcentury stuff at Kobey's over the past couple of years. Thrift stores are really hit and miss.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:00 PM

274 posts, read 318,392 times
My wife and I enjoy Consignment Classics, they have locations in San Diego and Encinitas. Both locations have some cool stuff, and wide variety of home furniture at what I think are cheap prices. Some liquidation stuff, but also that hard to find tassled Sphinx Ottoman that my wife wisely talked me out of buying!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:39 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,985 times
Adams Avenue west of 30th has a lot of antique shops and Newport Ave in OB has a lot as well. Consignment Classics is cool. If you got the cash, check out Cedros in Solana Beach/Del Mar.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:23 PM

204 posts, read 641,818 times
In addition to what has already been suggested, Craigslist SD has both an antiques and furniture section.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:40 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post
My wife and I enjoy Consignment Classics, they have locations in San Diego and Encinitas. Both locations have some cool stuff, and wide variety of home furniture at what I think are cheap prices. Some liquidation stuff, but also that hard to find tassled Sphinx Ottoman that my wife wisely talked me out of buying!
I secnd Consignment Classics. Great stuff ,I think half the furniture in our house came from there.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:31 PM

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego