Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 11:37 AM

7 posts, read 22,507 times

Advertisements

Ok here's the deal. I'm 30ish and relocating to San Diego in a few weeks. I will be working at Miramar and have a budget of $1400-1900 for rent. I will be driving out in a couple weeks and I will be looking to sign an August lease. Here's my priorities:

-1/1 or 2/1 apartment
-garage nice but not required. Parking cannot be an issue. Parking for 2 would be ideal
-I have no pets
-I'm not fond of traffic
-Work hours: 645-330ish, so I think the traffic is only an issue in the afternoon right?
-I'm extremely excited to take advantage of all the activities in SD. My main hobbies are going to be surfing, rock climbing, hiking and golf. This is the first time I will live somewhere I can do all of them! I will be doing that stuff daily after work in some form.
-I like to go to the bar/happy hour as much as the next guy, but I'm not the "frat boy" type, thus I'm not sure if the PB scene is a bit much.
-However I really want to put myself in a situation to meet people and make friends right away. I will be in SD for a minimum of 2 years, but potentially long term if it clicks. I'm hoping it clicks.

In light of all that it seems like I can live in the PB-LJ area to get the surf scene, but the apartments are expensive and the commute potentially tiresome. Or I can live in the UTC or Mission Valley areas and have a pretty direct commute to work and a pretty clean apt with parking, but lack of much character. My concern with living east of I5 is that I might not surf as much as I'd like to.

Considering the above, I'm open to all input or suggestions. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 02:04 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Your rent range is a bit low but northside PB / Bird Rock area of LJ is probably best. You might need a share but if you could split a nice townhome for 3k/mo. Parking at those city beaches is a real nightmare, so unless you are a dawn patrol type of guy, living inland will mean racking up the board for a long drive / park / walk session. Most weekend warrior types will drive further north to the less crowded beaches (Del Mar, Torrey Pines, San Elijo, Carlsbad, etc), which I dont think is what you want to do.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:40 PM

7 posts, read 22,507 times
I think you're right about North PB/ Birdrock. I've been to San Diego about 3 or 4 times, and each time I spent maybe a day at PB or LJ, so I have a vague idea what it's like but it's pretty foggy. My good friend insists I must live in PB and is recommending North PB. I'm SO EXCITED to get out there, I've been forced to live in crappy towns on the east coast the last 5 years! Thanks for your input and if anyone else has any ideas shoot!

Old 07-03-2013, 01:32 PM

569 posts, read 779,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Your rent range is a bit low but northside PB / Bird Rock area of LJ is probably best. You might need a share but if you could split a nice townhome for 3k/mo. Parking at those city beaches is a real nightmare, so unless you are a dawn patrol type of guy, living inland will mean racking up the board for a long drive / park / walk session. Most weekend warrior types will drive further north to the less crowded beaches (Del Mar, Torrey Pines, San Elijo, Carlsbad, etc), which I dont think is what you want to do.
Wouldn't Bird Rock to Miramar be a less than ideal commute?

I was thinking the La Jolla Village area (Southeast of UCSD, between UTC and La Jolla "proper") might give you an eaier commute, but still give you easy access to LJ Shores, Torry Pines and Del Mar beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego