Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:58 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
We really enjoyed it from the Midway. I highly recommend it at least once!

The vantage point from the flight deck gives great views across the bay. It was also cool seeing them Coronado and OB set go off in the distance.
Yeah, actually we were up on the balcony from the convention center. The one where you go up that long flight of stairs to the top. The view up there was great. We could see the Midway down below. We could also see Coronado and OB as well from up there.

That's a great spot to see them from. I thought it would be more difficult getting in and out but it was all quite easy. We purposely parked a few blocks away over on Fifth Avenue at one of the parking lots and surprisingly it had several spots available.

We ate dinner, walked over and then walked back and easily got out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 05:41 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
My wife said they weren't very good this year. Something about the smoke not blowing out of the way and non-interesting shapes.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
My wife said they weren't very good this year. Something about the smoke not blowing out of the way and non-interesting shapes.

Yeah, I didn't think they were too fabulous as fireworks displays go. But then again maybe I'm a bit jaded as I've been to some pretty amazing fireworks displays around the world.

I do agree with your wife that there wasn't much of a breeze so for parts of the fireworks the smoke just gathered and stayed there for part of the fireworks displays. I've seen that same thing happen before in other cities. It really sucks when that happens.

I used to go all the time for the fireworks display there on the beach in Rio de Janeiro and usually it's spectacular! But I remember one year there was absolutely no wind at all and you couldn't see anything as the smoke just stayed there obstructing the view.

It wasn't that bad with the smoke but I do agree with your wife that it wasn't anything spectacular but the kids still loved it.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:20 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
We really enjoyed it from the Midway. I highly recommend it at least once!

The vantage point from the flight deck gives great views across the bay. It was also cool seeing them Coronado and OB set go off in the distance.
It was very funny watching the college kids think that the Coronado fire works was it
They were crying and complaining,then the bay fireworks started going off and they were like Oh!
Like i said earlier,it was pretty crowded for me and its only going to get worse as more cities drop firework shows.Lake Murray stop their fireworks shows which moved us down to the bay.
For all of the out of Town people that wonder why us locals don't go to the beaches on holidays?
this is why!

Fast Forward from the 4 min mark on it's really long

4th Of July Ocean Beach Marshmallow Fight 2013 - YouTube

Old 07-07-2013, 10:29 AM

50,263 posts, read 47,023,439 times
We dragged the trailer down to mission so we didn't have to drive after some cocktails! It looks like they chased everyone off Fiesta by 11. That would suck to drag a 40 ft travel trailer down there to be chased out. I know some secret spots that you won't get chased out by the popo. But then, I know most of em anyway so no problemo.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We dragged the trailer down to mission so we didn't have to drive after some cocktails! It looks like they chased everyone off Fiesta by 11. That would suck to drag a 40 ft travel trailer down there to be chased out. I know some secret spots that you won't get chased out by the popo. But then, I know most of em anyway so no problemo.

Yeah, we drove by there earlier at 6:30 PM and it was already packed already. Wow were there a lot of people there. I was curious how good the show is from there? Looks like a lot of bigger parties set up there. Man, traffic must have been a nightmare leaving there.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Yeah, we drove by there earlier at 6:30 PM and it was already packed already. Wow were there a lot of people there. I was curious how good the show is from there? Looks like a lot of bigger parties set up there. Man, traffic must have been a nightmare leaving there.
You even get sprinkled with sparkly bits it's so close. When we used to camp there we didn't have to leave but now they kick everyone out and some said it took two hours to get home. That's pushing a LOT of DUI drivers on the road at once.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
OTL next week(ill be there)
I love San Diego

Old 07-07-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
OTL next week(ill be there)
I love San Diego
I hope they don't get their booze permit ganked!!

Old 07-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You even get sprinkled with sparkly bits it's so close. When we used to camp there we didn't have to leave but now they kick everyone out and some said it took two hours to get home. That's pushing a LOT of DUI drivers on the road at once.

Oh wow. Yeah, I figured that traffic HAD to be brutal coming out of there. We drove by and there were tons of cars parked every which way. I can't imagine it would be quick to leave from there on those roads. 2 hours would have been ugly.

Oh yeah, I can totally see your point about DUI drivers. It looked like people were in FULL party mode with tons of tents and parties set up.

Even by the convention center there were a lot of drunk asses out. I can't imagine in some other areas how bad it must have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego