Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 AM

27 posts, read 36,848 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

I was thinking about moving from Europe to US and open a chimmney sweep LLC. First I was thinking about New York, Chicago and SF bay (since I was there and I know I could do business there) but when I started reading about SD I simply had to see my options about this one, it's like a love at first sight, so if you could tell me would it be a smart idea? Considering a climate I suppose that you guys don't use fireplaces much...

Could you give me an advise on this one?

p.s. sorry for my English, It's not my native language...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
IMO California is the last place to start a business.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Could you please elaborate that?
What would you do if you were me?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:08 PM

300 posts, read 329,435 times
I'll have to agree with hitman on this. There's a reason businesses are leaving the state in droves.

However, I guess it's all relative. I know that in some countries on the continent, or for that matter the U.K., laws, taxes, insurance, guilds, licenses etc can be a pain in the *ss. California happens to be working on the E.U. model of making a business friendly climate - more taxes, more laws, more bureaucracy to deal with, more inspectors, more reporting etc etc etc. You, being an expat, might be used to this sort of thing and won't mind. Many business people that have been here for decades are disgusted with it and are leaving, or giving up their businesses.

It wasn't that bad just a decade ago...but it's all changed.

Plenty of other states out there that don't have this anti-business environment.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:33 PM

Thank you for your kind and detailed reply!

Yes, I'm used to it so if other people are leaving, that means that there would be less competition for me for example?

And what do you think about opening a chimney sweep company in San Diego? Do you guys use fireplaces often, what is your experience regarding this type of business, if any?

Old 07-09-2013, 01:09 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Like any due diligence I'd start by seeing how many chimney sweep companies are already here. Both Yelp and AngiesList list about 18-20 companies in the San Diego area. Personally, I'd think that would be a tough and limited field to get into for San Diego due to the great weather much of the year.

Plus it looks like there are already well established companies already here in the area. I can't see anyone using you vs. established companies unless you are drastically able to undercut them on price. And even then, it takes time and money to build up a business with marketing. And it will take time.

I don't know what kind of margins there are with chimney sweeping. I can't imagine too many people get their chimney's sweeps too often? I'm not sure. I've always had a fireplace but I've never had one swept.

Here we have 3 fireplaces and we do use them in the winter and sometimes we use the outdoor one for ambience at night. We have never had them cleaned. But I'd say San Diego would be a tough city to start a company like that.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:22 PM

Thank you!

Well I was thinking the same thing, maybe it's better to open one in New York, though they have over 100 chimney sweep companies, than in San Diego. But I had to ask because I love this city (SD) from what I've seen and read..

Old 07-09-2013, 05:08 PM

300 posts, read 329,435 times
Chimney sweeps in San Diego are a very seasonal business...as you might expect, it takes winter before folks start to worry about it. I do know that some sweeps also do grease traps, some hazmat, etc, plus of course the old standby "handyman" work, all to cover the off season.

As with any service - give great customer service, and you'll be ahead of three quarters of your competition, right away.

For myself, I made my own wire brushes, clean out tools, and I do my own renovations, so I've never actually used a pro chimney sweep service.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:26 AM

Thank you Czechsix!

Old 07-14-2013, 03:01 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
IMO California is the last place to start a business.
It seems most people disagree with you as California has the highest rate of business start ups both historically and right now so it would seem political biases are not based in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego