Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 04:12 PM

5 posts, read 14,294 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a condition for which I need a long term therapy with an expensive antifungal med that is MUCH cheaper in Mexico, but I have never brought anything like that from Tijuana to US and don't know what issues I may have. I am planning to park on US side and walk. I have a bottle of it already filled in US and prescribed by US doctor (and will have it on me entering Mexico), but to get more in US I will need to spend another fortune as I am not insured. I must stay on it for a good 3-4 months without interruption not to run into an undertreatment/relapse/resistance issue. The month supply of the drug here in US is $500 in Mexico it is 10x cheaper!!! Plus I won't have to pay a doctor's visit fee this way. I do understand that quality may be less, but I can take 1.5x to account for it. I bought that medication and was taking it in Cancun and the quality seemed tolerable. Has anyone traveled with this/similar (non scheduled, but still prescription) type of medication back to US through San Ysidro by foot and what is the best way to go about it to not have any issues? Do I show them my us bottle and a copy of a script to show that US doc is OK with me having ti? DO I also have a Mexican prescription for the script I just filled in Mexico? Will all that suffice? Or will I still have problems? Any and all comments and insights, especially from those who had the most recent relevant experience are greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 04:34 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
There is always the quality of medication issue as you consider your decision. I would center the initial discussion around that. If it comes in a sealed imprinted blister pack with the manufacturer on the box I would think that it could not be an issue however I would ask local pharmacists about that drug and their experience.

If you get a medication that is not equivalent you are just asking for trouble.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:40 PM

True, and I agree, but I am willing to take my risks. Like I said, I do have a small experience getting this med in Cancun and Playa Del Carmen areas not too long ago and they were a bit weaker so I had to take 1.5x and I was fine. I purchased only a small amount and took the entire supply before leaving so did not have to fly back with them. I am mostly concerned about the process of bringing this med back from TJ if I say get a 3 months supply (90 pills). Do I declare those? What all paperwork do I show and must have? Will I be harassed by US customs people? Can they seize the meds? Just trying to see what I should do to have the least amounts of issues bringing those back. I am not going to purchase any scheduled drugs as I don't take them. 90 (3 months) supply of antifungal med is all I am trying to bring.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:52 PM

321 posts, read 540,944 times
The US prescription will be sufficient at customs coming back. You're supposed to have a Mexican prescription depending on what kind of medicine, so to minimize problems, it would be wise to immediately take a taxi back to the border after purchasing. There was a TJ pharmacist posting here a few times, maybe he'll pipe in.

Since you're walking, I'd suggest a weekday unless you have Global Entry/Nexus/Sentri.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:55 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I had the same issue a few years ago. I had a fungus infection underneath a fingernail, and needed to take an antifungal every day for three months. The doctor said that the prescription was $300 here and $40 in Mexico. I went to Mexico and bought it there. I can't remember the name of the antifungal, though, but it was $300 at Costco. I had no problems bring it back across the border, and I did it for three months.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:16 PM

Well, that's the issue, I will only have US prescription for the current 30 pills I've got that I will bring with me to Mexico. Those I will be getting in Mexico I won't have a script for from US. It will be the same med though. I know I can get a script from a Mexican doctor and fill it. So at the end I will be crossing back to US with a bottle with US script (my "old" one) and a bottle or 2 with Mexican script (just purchased ones). Basically what I am saying is I will only have a US script for those that I enter the Mexico with, the ones I get in Mexico I won't. But since I figured that it is the same med, and my US bottle will basically show that my doc is OK with me taking this med I figured hopefully it will be OK? Should that be an issue?

Also, thanks, good suggestion, Sdjimbob, but I may not have any other choice but to do it on Sunday. I am prepared to tand in loooonng line.

Moved, yes exactly very similar issue. You said you didn't have any issues, did you tell them you purchased a medication? Did they ask to see anything at a US entrance point? How much did you buy at one time?

Old 07-21-2013, 05:50 PM

I went over every month for three months and bought it, and declared it at the border without any problems. If you can only go on Sunday, go in the morning. That way you can get what you need, and not stand in line forever.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:08 PM

OK, thanks, that helps! Yes was thinking to go in the morning.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:15 PM

Yes, go in the morning, if you go in the afternoon, it'll take forever to cross back into the US. If you need a prescription for the Mexican doctor, they're easy to get, and should cost around $30-$35. Don't into the pharmacies when you first cross the border with people trying to wave you inside, their prices are much higher.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:38 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times
You will always be asked two questions upon entering or returning to the US:

What is your citizenship?
Are you bringing anything back?

Possibly a third if you are a citizen or lawfully admitted permanent resident to the US:

What was the purpose of your visit?

Always tell the truth. Always declare everything. Medical/pharmacy tourism is not unusual. If you go down to the doctor or pharmacy, say so. If you are bringing medication back, say so. Always bring your prescription and any other paper trail that may assist your lawful re-entry into the US.

Like you said, you are not bringing back any DEA scheduled narcotic, nor are you bringing large quantities of medication for resale. Explain everything. Anybody that tells you not to declare is not giving you good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego