Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:16 PM

591 posts, read 820,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
Houston has a different culture than San Diego or the major CA cities. I lived there for over a year.

Has the thread starter responded with any details about his considered move? What type of career he's in and the salary range?

Most major cities have upscale shopping, Whole Foods and the like, national gym chains, etc. The Houston Galleria mall is a thriving place with all the upscale chains and does a booming business. All the Whole Foods stores and an upscale store ownerd by the HEB chain called Central Market are in the Galleria area, and not in the outlying suburbs. In California major cities, health food supermarkets are scattered all over and a larger percentage of the population is into organic eating.

Harris County, which is Houston proper is heavily diverse, majority non white with huge black, Latino, Asian, and Middle Eastern communities. The high end areas which tend to be white are near the Galleria Mall/Post Oak areas. Harris County is a blue area politically now, but the outlying counties such as Montgomery are heavily white and EXTREMELY red like 71% for Romney red. It is somewhat segregated due to the high numbers of people within various ethnic groups compared to California where races mix more.

This is Texas, so the good ole boy system runs the police and sheriffs departments and limits the scope of local politics. This is still the South.

Houston has a lot of crime and hustles. Many people living there have never left Texas. Besides the Race Trac convenience stores and Wal-Mart, you can't walk in a store after Midnight. Those that are open have walk up windows.

Tow trucks line the freeways and various parking lots at night, waiting for an accident or DUI so they can fight for the tows. The good ole boys pretend to be religious on the outside but behind closed doors take bribes and are unscrupulous. They pretend to be against strip clubs but get payoffs from owners and randomly bust innocent strippers for breaking rules that no clubs can follow, just to look like they are religious. Liquor is only sold in liquor stores due to a srtong liquor lobby and those stores only open from 10-9 Monday-Saturday. Beer can be bought from 7-Midnight at regular stores. Malls don't open until 12 on Sunday so you can go to church. Church and so called family values is not outwardly pushed in CA, and malls open at 11 on Sunday. Liquor sold in every store in CA from 6-2, 7 days a week.

Many people are desparate in Houston, and there is a huge underground economy. Lack of opportunity for disenfranchised minorities, and Texas has the most people lacking health insurance in the nation and those in power have no intention of changing that statistic.

There is old money and oil money in Houston. No unions, so wages are lower. Housing is affordable, but everyone is not earning what they should.

Yes if the salaries are comparable it will be easier living in Houston and the material comforts of life will be readily available as you are in a major metro area. Rent is reasonable, and buying a house will be somewhat easy.

The humidity and rain is abundant in Houston. And I mean massive rain and wind storms which can cause some havoc randomly. You can count the days per year on 2 hands where the sky is blue, no clouds and sunny. Most likely that is in the winter.

San Diego is more like Austin Texas intellectually. A blue state has a higher proportion of intellectual people, who follow the news, fact check the news, appreciate healthier eating and are more refined. The levels of despair found in Houston by many minorities would not be swept under the rug. Much of the crime there is attributed to the desperate state of people.

For more bang for your buck, Houston is a good choice. As long as you don't mind the humid stormy weather and some of the Texas mentality. You can buy a house provided your job provides adequate income, the shopping is decent, plenty of restaurants offering all types of foods, the diversity is huge.

The cultural intellectualness in California is superior though, and there are more people there with an environmental awareness, although San Diego is a little more conservative than other major cities in CA, that is more due to the military presence there, and it is nowhere near the level of white conservatism in Texas. San Diego is a more laid back place. Geography contributes a lot to that, as well as the higher cost of living.
Spot on. Fantastic post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 06:47 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
Houston has a different culture than San Diego or the major CA cities. I lived there for over a year.

Has the thread starter responded with any details about his considered move? What type of career he's in and the salary range?

Most major cities have upscale shopping, Whole Foods and the like, national gym chains, etc. The Houston Galleria mall is a thriving place with all the upscale chains and does a booming business. All the Whole Foods stores and an upscale store ownerd by the HEB chain called Central Market are in the Galleria area, and not in the outlying suburbs. In California major cities, health food supermarkets are scattered all over and a larger percentage of the population is into organic eating.

Harris County, which is Houston proper is heavily diverse, majority non white with huge black, Latino, Asian, and Middle Eastern communities. The high end areas which tend to be white are near the Galleria Mall/Post Oak areas. Harris County is a blue area politically now, but the outlying counties such as Montgomery are heavily white and EXTREMELY red like 71% for Romney red. It is somewhat segregated due to the high numbers of people within various ethnic groups compared to California where races mix more.

This is Texas, so the good ole boy system runs the police and sheriffs departments and limits the scope of local politics. This is still the South.

Houston has a lot of crime and hustles. Many people living there have never left Texas. Besides the Race Trac convenience stores and Wal-Mart, you can't walk in a store after Midnight. Those that are open have walk up windows.

Tow trucks line the freeways and various parking lots at night, waiting for an accident or DUI so they can fight for the tows. The good ole boys pretend to be religious on the outside but behind closed doors take bribes and are unscrupulous. They pretend to be against strip clubs but get payoffs from owners and randomly bust innocent strippers for breaking rules that no clubs can follow, just to look like they are religious. Liquor is only sold in liquor stores due to a srtong liquor lobby and those stores only open from 10-9 Monday-Saturday. Beer can be bought from 7-Midnight at regular stores. Malls don't open until 12 on Sunday so you can go to church. Church and so called family values is not outwardly pushed in CA, and malls open at 11 on Sunday. Liquor sold in every store in CA from 6-2, 7 days a week.

Many people are desparate in Houston, and there is a huge underground economy. Lack of opportunity for disenfranchised minorities, and Texas has the most people lacking health insurance in the nation and those in power have no intention of changing that statistic.

There is old money and oil money in Houston. No unions, so wages are lower. Housing is affordable, but everyone is not earning what they should.

Yes if the salaries are comparable it will be easier living in Houston and the material comforts of life will be readily available as you are in a major metro area. Rent is reasonable, and buying a house will be somewhat easy.

The humidity and rain is abundant in Houston. And I mean massive rain and wind storms which can cause some havoc randomly. You can count the days per year on 2 hands where the sky is blue, no clouds and sunny. Most likely that is in the winter.

San Diego is more like Austin Texas intellectually. A blue state has a higher proportion of intellectual people, who follow the news, fact check the news, appreciate healthier eating and are more refined. The levels of despair found in Houston by many minorities would not be swept under the rug. Much of the crime there is attributed to the desperate state of people.

For more bang for your buck, Houston is a good choice. As long as you don't mind the humid stormy weather and some of the Texas mentality. You can buy a house provided your job provides adequate income, the shopping is decent, plenty of restaurants offering all types of foods, the diversity is huge.

The cultural intellectualness in California is superior though, and there are more people there with an environmental awareness, although San Diego is a little more conservative than other major cities in CA, that is more due to the military presence there, and it is nowhere near the level of white conservatism in Texas. San Diego is a more laid back place. Geography contributes a lot to that, as well as the higher cost of living.
Considering that Houston is the city with the highest concentration and highest quality arts and museums, the most globally recognized food scene, and the most diverse population in the state, I would hardly describe Austin as the more refined place. It's a city that gets by on its young minds fed by the state's major (yet not the highest ranked) university, live music with origins nowhere near Central Texas, and a handful of other quirks and gimmicks.

As I can always expect, people are describing Houston from the view of their Pearland McMansions; NOT the city I know.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Spot on. Fantastic post.
Would you mind sharing with the OP your personal experiences in Houston?

I can do this forever, ZZ.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:54 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Considering that Houston is the city with the highest concentration and highest quality arts and museums, the most globally recognized food scene, and the most diverse population in the state, I would hardly describe Austin as the more refined place. It's a city that gets by on its young minds fed by the state's major (yet not the highest ranked) university, live music with origins nowhere near Central Texas, and a handful of other quirks and gimmicks.

As I can always expect, people are describing Houston from the view of their Pearland McMansions; NOT the city I know.

Just out of curiosity (and I think it would be educational as well) can some of you Houston lovers list the top 5 things you LOVE about the city and the top 5 things you DISLIKE about Houston?

No doubt there are many fine things about Houston. As mentioned, I have several friends and clients that live there and they enjoy it. Several of them are very big into the Arts scene there and they rave about it.

But I'd love to see both lists.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
you have overestimated my investment in the topic. These things are easy to research on one's own. If the OP is a college graduate he can do his own research and can see this is an emotional topic, especially for Texans.

Going back to my original point about it being like family....

I think my work is done here. OP, just go where you have a job! Myself, it has really been a journey being able to truly get to know different regions of the US. Then, I had an interest in regional geography (and also why I have posts here going back several years and through different moves...and also just for interest). Moving away from home is not for everyone. But the ability to move I believe does help with career aspirations when you are young. If you can do it and maintain social ties at home (if you have them) I think it is a very good thing to do. You don't have to commit to a new place when you do move though many people will stay in that first place or move back home. It's not easy especially if you are married or have kids.

If you don't though, make the best of it and grow your career. If you know yourself and you need to settle down soon I'd suggest doing more independent research and/or planning a few visits to each if you can.

Most likely though, you just wanted to get some opinions. There you go and make sure you read between the lines!
That's a long exit speech. Would have been easier to simply say that you didn't have a source for what you were claiming.

If this is where we part ways, I hope you now understand how responsible you must be in your posting.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:11 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Being overweight and being obese are two different things. About a third of Houstonians are overweight, but the most recent Gallup study I found put the obesity level of the metro area at only 26.1%, which is on par with the national average. Several metros like St. Louis, Milwaukee, Detroit, Baltimore, New Orleans, and Pittsburgh were found to be more obese than Houston.

Gallup Study

Houston's reputation for being obese comes from an outdated documentary and a highly-referenced junk study compiled by a tacky fitness magazine.
Sorry, seems I am late to the game here a few posts later. I was enjoying our boring, dry weather today in the sunshine

If I can make a point again which seems to have alluded the whole point of the post.

Just as San Diego was known over 10 years ago as Enron by the Sea, doesnt make me not want to live here any less than you do living in a place that known as having obese or overweight people.
Yes there are misconceptions, but at some point you can defend, defend, defend and it will NEVER get past the reality that these stereotypes exist.
If its not one thing its another for ANY city in regards of stereotypes. But for some reason, this obesity in Houston stereotype seems to strike a chord in you in particular and your posts seem to dictate you speak for all Houstonians obese or not.
Here is the CDC's take on Houston. If its better than 2010, which I hope it is, then great. That should be a good thing. So far the jury is out.
http://www.governing.com/gov-data/ob...area-data.html

Its for the reader to decide. The reality is that typing in 'obesity in houston' doesnt pull up random websites. It pulls legitimate websites. This isnt rocket science.
Mens Health just put it on the map and Houston became a poster child for their story, whether its a few percentage points or not in difference against the national average.
Obesity is not something you catch because there is no vaccine for it. If obesity is a nationwide epidemic, then how is Houston being in the national average 'ok' by your standards and THEN justifying compared with these other cities you mention?

If someone bases their life decision on making a move somewhere, to blame city-data posts would be pretty ridiculous. I am just calling it out as I see it.

Enjoy Houston. But you wont need me to tell you that

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 07-28-2013 at 07:26 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Just out of curiosity (and I think it would be educational as well) can some of you Houston lovers list the top 5 things you LOVE about the city and the top 5 things you DISLIKE about Houston?

No doubt there are many fine things about Houston. As mentioned, I have several friends and clients that live there and they enjoy it. Several of them are very big into the Arts scene there and they rave about it.

But I'd love to see both lists.
I'd love to participate.

Pros (in no particular order):
-The people. Everything about us, from the way we laugh to the way we dance.
-The food. Southern decadence meets international fare. Enough said.
-The Gulf. One of the most gothic and menacing yet charming regions of the country.
-The thunderstorms
-The arts and museums. I feel incredibly fortunate to have such world class institutions right in my backyard.

Cons:
-Lack of an adequate rail system
-Far too suburban, without a solid collection of dense, walkable neighborhoods
-Lack of attention to aesthetics. With some noteworthy exceptions, the architecture and cityscape are largely uninspired, in my opinion.
-No mountains nearby. Oh, how I love mountains and hate that they are hours away
-No autumn. My favorite season is mostly nonexistent, with "fall" color arriving some time around Christmas lol.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:34 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Sorry, seems I am late to the game here a few posts later. I was enjoying our boring, dry weather today in the sunshine

If I can make a point again which seems to have alluded the whole point of the post.

Just as San Diego was known over 10 years ago as Enron by the Sea, doesnt make me not want to live here any less than you do living in a place that known as having obese or overweight people.
Yes there are misconceptions, but at some point you can defend, defend, defend and it will NEVER get past the reality that these stereotypes exist.
If its not one thing its another for ANY city in regards of stereotypes. But for some reason, this obesity in Houston stereotype seems to strike a chord in you in particular and your posts seem to dictate you speak for all Houstonians obese or not.
Here is the CDC's take on Houston. If its better than 2010, which I hope it is, then great. That should be a good thing. So far the jury is out.
Obesity Rates for States, Metro Areas

Its for the reader to decide. The reality is that typing in 'obesity in houston' doesnt pull up random websites. It pulls legitimate websites. This isnt rocket science.
Mens Health just put it on the map and Houston became a poster child for their story, whether its a few percentage points or not in difference against the national average.
Obesity is not something you catch because there is no vaccine for it. If obesity is a nationwide epidemic, then how is Houston being in the national average 'ok' by your standards and THEN justifying compared with these other cities you mention?

If someone bases their life decision on making a move somewhere, to blame city-data posts would be pretty ridiculous. I am just calling it out as I see it.

Enjoy Houston. But you wont need me to tell you that

yes, I've lost interest in trying to prove my point about obesity in Texas, and Houston.

When I read about the CDC methods I lost interest even more...the fine print shows they did a gallup poll where they actually relied on self reporting? on weight!? Are they crazy?

I don't even want to go there...

But anyway, without getting into the weeds about how fat Texas is, the point (to me and my experience which may have some value to the OP) is that if you like a healthy lifestyle, it is more easily obtained in CA, and culturally supported with many eateries offering healthy choices. As mentioned, its near religion/cult status where in Texas, the opposite is true (bbq, which I love...is more the religion along with authentic mexican and tex mex, etc)

this may not be important to some but ... I just love all the produce available in CA and the healthy options for dining.

oh, and the wine

Old 07-28-2013, 07:35 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
I'd love to participate.

-The Gulf. One of the most gothic and menacing yet charming regions of the country.
-The thunderstorms
-The arts and museums. I feel incredibly fortunate to have such world class institutions right in my backyard.

Cons:
-Lack of attention to aesthetics. With some noteworthy exceptions, the architecture and cityscape are largely uninspired, in my opinion.
-No mountains nearby. Oh, how I love mountains and hate that they are hours away
-No autumn. My favorite season is mostly nonexistent, with "fall" color arriving some time around Christmas lol.
Perfect! There we go.

I have spent only business time in Houston and its been a couple of years. I NEVER had a problem there.

This list would certainly help me take a look at things from a different angle and an insiders point of view.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 07-28-2013, 07:40 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Quote:
I'd love to participate.

-The thunderstorms

Cons:
I agree with most of this.

The one thing I truly miss when I am in CA is the thunderstorms, which were even better (in my opinion) in the midwest.

The weather is great in CA but I admit if you are used to seasons it gets boring. I don't particularly miss winter but I miss the changes, and mostly the thunderstorms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego