Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:05 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,265 times

Advertisements

U.S. SEC fines, bars 'Buckets of Money' radio host for fraud | Reuters

Seems pretty harsh...I mean compared to our Mayor...thoughts....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 02:22 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,536,738 times
You beat me to it!
He's the worst type of crook,defrauding old people

Old 07-23-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
You beat me to it!
He's the worst type of crook,defrauding old people
It says "no investors lost money" just that he was pushing them into REITS. So it is kind of confusing to me. Don't investment advisors push you into whatever they are selling???

I also posted this on the "Investor" forum. There are some smart people over there, way smarter than me so I will see what they have to say.

I am not defending Old Ray, there is probably more to the story, there always is.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:44 PM

11 posts, read 21,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
Don't investment advisors push you into whatever they are selling???
Some investment advisors are subject to fiduciary standards and some are not, depending on various factors, like whether they are registered as advisors with a government authority, and what type of company they work for.

For example advisors working for a broker-dealer are usually not subject to fiduciary standards, only suitability standards. Basically, your broker can push any ****ty investment on you that makes them the most commission, as long as the general type of product they sell can be deemed suitable for your financial situation, even if better alternatives are known and available, and they do not have to disclose any conflicts of interests to you. Same goes for insurance product salesmen who often claim to be investment advisors as well while selling overpriced annuities and other insurance/investment products.

However if an advisor is subject to fiduciary standards, they are required by law to put the client interest above their own, and also disclose any conflicts of interest that might arise from their advice.

I am not really familiar with Ray Lucia, but from a quick google it appears that some of his companies were registered with the SEC as RIA (registered investment advisors) and therefore would by law be subject to the fiduciary standard, that the SEC claims he is violating. He also appears to be registered as a broker and an insurance salesmen with his other legal entities.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycct View Post
Some investment advisors are subject to fiduciary standards and some are not, depending on various factors, like whether they are registered as advisors with a government authority, and what type of company they work for.

For example advisors working for a broker-dealer are usually not subject to fiduciary standards, only suitability standards. Basically, your broker can push any ****ty investment on you that makes them the most commission, as long as the general type of product they sell can be deemed suitable for your financial situation, even if better alternatives are known and available, and they do not have to disclose any conflicts of interests to you. Same goes for insurance product salesmen who often claim to be investment advisors as well while selling overpriced annuities and other insurance/investment products.

However if an advisor is subject to fiduciary standards, they are required by law to put the client interest above their own, and also disclose any conflicts of interest that might arise from their advice.

I am not really familiar with Ray Lucia, but from a quick google it appears that some of his companies were registered with the SEC as RIA (registered investment advisors) and therefore would by law be subject to the fiduciary standard, that the SEC claims he is violating. He also appears to be registered as a broker and an insurance salesmen with his other legal entities.
Thank you. I listen to his show when I can on weekends. I do like him in general. I always thought he was obsessed with REITs though and REITs as an investment never made sense to me, too many fees and for a while they were really losing money. I think that is what got him in trouble, making promises about returns on REITs or implied returns without the proper backup.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:38 AM

9,821 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
I think that is what got him in trouble, making promises about returns on REITs or implied returns without the proper backup.
Which is fraud right?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:09 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Taking advice from this guy(or any TV/internet yahoo) is the equivalent of taking the advice of Mike Malloy or Rush. In summary, dumb. It's only a step above an infomercial.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Which is fraud right?
Yes, and why he got into trouble.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:08 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
I wish they got him the hell off of 1700. If I want to listen to ESPN during the day, I have to battle through the static of an LA/Anaheim station. Who melds a sports talk station with that?

Old 07-24-2013, 06:20 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
The old adage typically holds true for investments. If it sounds too good to be true, it typically is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: