Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:02 AM

146 posts, read 189,405 times

Advertisements

Tired of humidity, bugs, heat and southern attitude we are contemplating move to SD area.
My wife concerns about 2 things mostly:
1. Endless sun - she and my kid have very light skin, they are scandinavian types, she also had a melanoma, thankfully we caught it early and everything seem fine now.
2. Mexican border - predominance of latino culture and possible drug cartel wars outbreaks in the area.

Would appreciate everybody's comments on the subject preferably from personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 10:51 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
Line up a job first.

This is San Diego, and we're right next door to Mexico, so of course there will be a predominance of latinos and culture. Forget about the drug cartels, if you're not looking for trouble, you won't find it. And yes, it's pretty much sunny here most of the time.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:38 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,805 times
You could be spared sun in the morning and occasionally the evening hours depending on how close to the coast you will be living. If you live more than five or six miles inland, you will get more sun and the morning marine layer at the coast will burn off sooner. I have a good friend in the inland suburb of Poway and it was noticeably sunnier for longer than when I was in the coastal areas.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:23 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
An alternative way to be rid of bugs, heat, and southern attitude (don't know about humdity) is the Pacific northwest. And that would be less potentially harmful to your wife and kids, and nowhere near the Mexican border.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
You could be spared sun in the morning and occasionally the evening hours depending on how close to the coast you will be living. If you live more than five or six miles inland, you will get more sun and the morning marine layer at the coast will burn off sooner. I have a good friend in the inland suburb of Poway and it was noticeably sunnier for longer than when I was in the coastal areas.
Would we be able to find a single family home within $400,000-450,000 with 40 min. commute to Carmel valley area with good schools and within 5-6 miles from the shore?

Old 08-04-2013, 04:27 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal8 View Post
Would we be able to find a single family home within $400,000-450,000 with 40 min. commute to Carmel valley area with good schools and within 5-6 miles from the shore?
Probably, but it won't be a mansion and it would have to be inland at least a few miles I would think. My real estate knowledge of the San Diego area is limited. Hopefully, some San Diego area residents or better yet a realtor (!) will have more specifics for you. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2013, 05:34 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,275,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal8 View Post
Tired of humidity, bugs, heat and southern attitude we are contemplating move to SD area.
My wife concerns about 2 things mostly:
1. Endless sun - she and my kid have very light skin, they are scandinavian types, she also had a melanoma, thankfully we caught it early and everything seem fine now.
2. Mexican border - predominance of latino culture and possible drug cartel wars outbreaks in the area.

Would appreciate everybody's comments on the subject preferably from personal experience.
I have friends that live in Tijuana and I walk across fairly often. A few of my co-workers think its insane because of all the drug cartels. Yes, hey are there, but I think the media has overblown it all. I go during the day and stick to places that most tourists go. I stay out of the bad (bars) areas and I've never had a problem.

My point is that there are bad areas there and here. Many people here will be able to tell you the good and bad areas of San Diego. I have no problem going to certain parts Tijuana during the day, but I wouldn't be going to the bars at 1 am. There is a great taco place (can't think of the name) in the Barrio Logan part of San Diego, but I don't want to go driving around certain parts at night.

I feel safe here. I understand the concern, but the drug cartels aren't roaming the streets here shooting up the place. If I were your wife, I'd be more concerned about a random encounter with our Mayor, "Headlock Bob" than the cartels.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:47 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I have friends that live in Tijuana and I walk across fairly often. A few of my co-workers think its insane because of all the drug cartels. Yes, hey are there, but I think the media has overblown it all. I go during the day and stick to places that most tourists go. I stay out of the bad (bars) areas and I've never had a problem.

My point is that there are bad areas there and here. Many people here will be able to tell you the good and bad areas of San Diego. I have no problem going to certain parts Tijuana during the day, but I wouldn't be going to the bars at 1 am. There is a great taco place (can't think of the name) in the Barrio Logan part of San Diego, but I don't want to go driving around certain parts at night.

I feel safe here. I understand the concern, but the drug cartels aren't roaming the streets here shooting up the place. If I were your wife, I'd be more concerned about a random encounter with our Mayor, "Headlock Bob" than the cartels.
This is all true.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 PM

77 posts, read 123,237 times
I am sorry but this makes me laugh when someone is thinking about moving to a place named San Diego of all things

"Mexican border - predominance of latino culture and possible drug cartel wars outbreaks in the area"

BTW I grew up in the south and just find people out west to be better in general, there I said it. I love San Diego the handful of visits I have had. Embrace diversity.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:27 AM

I respect diversity, but unfortunately in US it's generally associated with high crime rates and bad schools.
I hope it's not the case with SD.

I see most folks in SD forum asking questions are young folks mostly looking for nightlife and beach culture.
I don't care about those things (though I love being on the beach), but is SD generally a good place to raise a family? How about schools, overall culture, availability of places for kids like parks, recreational areas, decent pre-k?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego