Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:46 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times

Advertisements

At this point, I'm gonna vote for A. Years ago, I thought I'd move to the East Coast for a bit then end up back here after I'd done and seen it all. Now that I'm pretty settled, I don't think I'm going anywhere. My goal now is to rack up tons of airline points so I can travel often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 08:45 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
At this point, I'm gonna vote for A. Years ago, I thought I'd move to the East Coast for a bit then end up back here after I'd done and seen it all. Now that I'm pretty settled, I don't think I'm going anywhere. My goal now is to rack up tons of airline points so I can travel often.
Forget that idea sdurbanite! With your great pad all you need to do is join www.homeexchange.com and you'll be staying in some amazing places around the world.

Yeah, rack up some airline points and then your trip is covered. We've done over 40+ home exchanges and it's really wonderful. You won't have ANY problems exchanging for your place.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:47 AM

675 posts, read 645,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsan9 View Post
So I'm moving to SD because I love the area, but I can see myself living here for roughly 5 years-ish (I'm in my late 20s) and then end up settling down in an area of the country with lower COL. But I will still visit this amazing city

I'm curious how current residents view SoCal going forward...

If you had to choose one viewpoint that probably represents more people who live here now, which would you choose?

A. SoCal is the best place in the world and I wouldn't live anywhere else, regardless of how high taxes, COL are. (So for lifestyle or maybe family reasons, would never leave SoCal)

B. I love SoCal but long-term it probably won't be sustainable for me. I will eventually move away and then just visit SoCal.
I would think there is an even split.

As for me, I was born here. No choice. And I live here again...for good. I am about a mile from the hospital I was born in. I moved back from western Pennsylvania where I lived for nine years, and built an identity, due to some family issues.

San Diego is a perfectly fine metro area, but it does have its quirks. I've seen more homeless people here than in LA or NYC (not that actual numbers reflect my experiences).

Traffic can suck, but it's worse in other metros I've been in (actually, Pittsburgh was generally more problematic than here, but again, it depends on one's own lifestyle).

I'm not a beach bum, so I don't care about that scene. I did once like the boardwalk and rollercoaster, but I haven't been around there for years.

I do get annoyed by people who seem to have moved here ONLY based on weather. It's almost as if San Diego could be apocalyptic, but hey, as long as the weather is "nice", it's OK. We'll just stand around and twiddle thumbs.

I dunno my point really. San Diego, to me, is a fine city, but it's not the be all, end all (or whatever the expression is) of cities. I miss Pittsburgh. I like Seattle, where my aunt and uncle live. I'm traveling to Orange County to watch the Aztecs women's soccer team against CSU Fullerton next week. I like it up there.

Diff'rent strokes.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:43 AM

745 posts, read 1,568,348 times
There are so many great places to live. I don't plan on leaving San Diego. I have grandchildren here. Also I have planned my retirement so it all feels affordable at this time. My needs are modest. I love the moderate climate, the topography and the nearness to the ocean. I'm content.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:31 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
I do get annoyed by people who seem to have moved here ONLY based on weather. It's almost as if San Diego could be apocalyptic, but hey, as long as the weather is "nice", it's OK. We'll just stand around and twiddle thumbs.
Hiya NT...

Unless it's perhaps the very young who wish to go to university in a warmer environment (away from parents, in most cases, is more like the primary motivator), I haven't heard people say they're uprooting family to move to another state due to weather alone. Perhaps you have? Comfortable weather's a nice perk, for sure (& comfortable differs for each of us), but don't most of us relocate for what we think will bring an improved life, climate included?

Any place on earth could be called 'apocalyptic', if you wish. Quite a strong word. Some places have earthquakes, wildfires & mudslides... but, others have tornadoes, hurricanes, nor'easters, monsoons. I've lived all over the world & each area is beautiful in many ways & awful in others. I've lived through 3 house fires & those could happen anywhere. So can break-ins (had one from the creepy maintenance man at my last flat in San Diego, as a matter of fact) & the same for any type of crime. For goodness sake, the last time I was near a tornado it had touched down in downtown London. Yep, that London. I don't recall neighbors saying they were leaving due to the UK tornadoes. There are many reasons to leave an area & many to stay. I guess we all must pick our poison... what's the extent of the good vs bad with which one can live?

We'll be back to SD soon & I can't image we'll be twiddling thumbs. CA is far to expensive to lie back & wait. I'd imagine those thumb twiddlers are part of the plethora of homeless you commented on & I agree... I've never seen so many homeless as I have in SD. As you'd said, 'different strokes', but I think we can all find paradise for us. SoCal feels like that for us. We each need to be where we can thrive & feel good about paying our exorbitant taxes, housing costs, food bills.

Pittsburgh is great & PA is a beautiful state. Much of my family in the US lives throughout the state of PA & they all love their varying areas. We need an ocean outside our door or we're not as happy. Mountains are fine, so is desert... but, an ocean soothes my soul. Any chance you'd venture back to PA? I'm sure you've considered all options, but if you miss it & love it, you can still live there & visit relatives in CA. I like to see those who can work out solutions to be where they wish, whether that's downtown NYC or Fiji.

In any event, I hope you enjoy SD whilst here. Cheers, then...

Old 08-11-2013, 01:50 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Hiya NT...

Unless it's perhaps the very young who wish to go to university in a warmer environment (away from parents, in most cases, is more like the primary motivator), I haven't heard people say they're uprooting family to move to another state due to weather alone. Perhaps you have? Comfortable weather's a nice perk, for sure (& comfortable differs for each of us), but don't most of us relocate for what we think will bring an improved life, climate included?

Any place on earth could be called 'apocalyptic', if you wish. Quite a strong word. Some places have earthquakes, wildfires & mudslides... but, others have tornadoes, hurricanes, nor'easters, monsoons. I've lived all over the world & each area is beautiful in many ways & awful in others. I've lived through 3 house fires & those could happen anywhere. So can break-ins (had one from the creepy maintenance man at my last flat in San Diego, as a matter of fact) & the same for any type of crime. For goodness sake, the last time I was near a tornado it had touched down in downtown London. Yep, that London. I don't recall neighbors saying they were leaving due to the UK tornadoes. There are many reasons to leave an area & many to stay. I guess we all must pick our poison... what's the extent of the good vs bad with which one can live?

We'll be back to SD soon & I can't image we'll be twiddling thumbs. CA is far to expensive to lie back & wait. I'd imagine those thumb twiddlers are part of the plethora of homeless you commented on & I agree... I've never seen so many homeless as I have in SD. As you'd said, 'different strokes', but I think we can all find paradise for us. SoCal feels like that for us. We each need to be where we can thrive & feel good about paying our exorbitant taxes, housing costs, food bills.

Pittsburgh is great & PA is a beautiful state. Much of my family in the US lives throughout the state of PA & they all love their varying areas. We need an ocean outside our door or we're not as happy. Mountains are fine, so is desert... but, an ocean soothes my soul. Any chance you'd venture back to PA? I'm sure you've considered all options, but if you miss it & love it, you can still live there & visit relatives in CA. I like to see those who can work out solutions to be where they wish, whether that's downtown NYC or Fiji.

In any event, I hope you enjoy SD whilst here. Cheers, then...

In all honesty, I've heard most people say they love san diego for weather or they want to move to San Diego and it seems the only reason is because of the weather. I have never lived or been in a place where many times the only reason people seem to want to be here is because of the weather.

How many times have you seen people who move from someplace else or want to move from someplace else and they have no job lined up, no family here, no real idea what the area is like, but hey, "i visited for a weekend" or "it's always beautiful" in San diego.

The reality is far more people do seem to move to San Diego because of the weather and not much else. And then they have to defend it to the death without really having anything of substance to say about it.

Most other places dont' have the same vanity. People move to NYC, Chicago, San Fran, Silicon Valley, Seattle, Los Angeles, Boston, blah blah blah for various reasons. Most of the time it's not the weather.
San Diego is a lot like Miami in it seems many people just come up with "I moved there or I want to move there because of the weather."

I love San Diego, but the reality is most people don't just pack up and go because there are a ton of different industries and jobs and the job market is great. They don't move here because of the startup culture. They don't move here because of finance or real estate or the schools.

If you look at it a different way, it becomes all about the weather. People move to NYC even though the weather sucks most of the year and there are many parts of that city and metro that suck and are bad to walk in, much less live in. But many people want to live there or want to work there. The weather might suck, but who cares. Same is said about San Fran/Silicon Valley, etc etc etc. But in San Diego, if the weather were more like NYC, would most people still want to live here? Probably not. So in that sense, it normally is about the weather.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:56 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
Just flew in this morning from some work travel that was joyfully cut short. God its good to be home, sweet home San Diego. I thought I would check in with you fine folks, cut the lawn, jump in the pool, and play nine holes sometime around 5.

My vote:
A......the only way I am leaving here is in a pine box, preferably later than sooner.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:58 PM

675 posts, read 645,049 times
Pedro, glad you understood what I was trying to get across.

I wasn't trying to say that San Diegans all sit around twiddling their thumbs. I was trying to say that, yes, indeed, weather seems like the only important component for some folks. And when you look at that quite literally, I think it's a bit sad. I need more from any city that I intend to call home.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
If you look at it a different way, it becomes all about the weather.
Gross generalization. People move for different reasons. Weather is the frosting on the cake.

Quote:
People move to NYC even though the weather sucks most of the year and there are many parts of that city and metro that suck and are bad to walk in, much less live in. But many people want to live there or want to work there.
According to you, the northeastern weather & environs aren't optimal. I quite liked living in NYC despite the weather. Millions of people live there, move there & stay there because they like snow, snow sports & can't wait to take weekend skiing trips to NH, VT, upstate NY, etc. There are plenty of neighborhoods I saw when living in downtown SD I wouldn't want to live in & certainly wouldn't walk in unless my car broke down. Those neighborhoods are in every state & every large city. NYC is far safer these days than back in the 70s when wilding was a weekend sport.

Quote:
But in San Diego, if the weather were more like NYC, would most people still want to live here? Probably not. So in that sense, it normally is about the weather.
You may be right in your first point. But, people do live in NYC for the change of seasons, as well. Not all New Englanders dislike their weather, as you seem to. Perhaps you've known vastly different people than I... I've never heard anyone say they've moved anywhere only for the weather, but if it's at the top of some's list, so be it. Weather is very important to me since I've spent the majority of my life in cold, snowy locales. I wasn't one who preferred that even though almost all those locales were on the ocean. I won't generalize as to why I feel others choose one over the other.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
I wasn't trying to say that San Diegans all sit around twiddling their thumbs. I was trying to say that, yes, indeed, weather seems like the only important component for some folks.
Perhaps you should re-read my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego