Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:16 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times

Advertisements

It is irresponsible for private or state-funded colleges and universities to continue to push the impact of their growth on to the surrounding communities. SDSU has done this for years although it has been correcting the issue over time. If the schools are going to increase their revenues by building more capacity, they need to meet it with adequate parking and transportation solutions. It is the same issue with apartments and other developments, why should educational institutions be treated any differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:30 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My Parents lived there long before the school as built. The only thing that will be moving is the slob's cars that abused the public parking. You make statements exactly the type that came out of Filthners mouth. If you are too poor to afford a 35 dollar permit to park I suggest getting a part time job at Mickey D's while you go to school like most other people do.
I am 37 and the last time I was in college was 25 years ago but, yes, I still remember going to Mesa for two years before transferring to UC Santa Barbara. Also, I'm calling BS because Mesa college has been there since the early 1960's and was zoned for that location since the early 1950's so just about EVERYONE who lives there know moved there either after the college was built or at least when it was on the books and so they had plenty of fair warning. Unless your parents moved their in the late 1940's then, no, it wasn't a surprise that the college was put there.

If you don't like the neighborhood then move but whining about something you knew good and well would be there after the fact just sounds like soar grapes to me. In fact it reminds me of the whining I heard in the early 80's in Mira Mesa when people would complain about the jet noise from the military base. The military base had been there since the 1880's and the houses in that area weren't built until the late 1970's to early 1980's so moving next to an airfield then whining about noise from aircraft is just BS. They knew what they were getting into when they bought the place just like the people next to Mesa College.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:00 PM

"If you don't like it, move out" is a very Californian attitude. Just give up and run away, because it's an inevitability that no one can hold back the charge of over-development and over-utilization of every square inch of Southern California.

I believe you are obligated as a homeowner, taxpayer and citizen to fight for your neighborhood and way of life, you don't abandon it unless you have no other choice.

If you own a home in a neighborhood, it is yours and you fight for it. People who don't live in your neighborhood don't get to park in front of your house just because they don't want to pay for parking. College students are not a protected class and they do not pay property taxes which pave roads and build colleges. If a college decides to add a building and add more students, it's their responsibility to resolve the parking issues. Colleges are for-profit businesses (even the public ones) and as such are subject to all the checks and balances of any free market.

If they can't or won't, you fight like hell. That's the American way.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 08-23-2013 at 11:11 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 PM

The public streets are not their private property, period. Yes, any attempt to make it exclusively for their use only IS elitest and arrogant. The public property is for everyone's use even if some people are upset about it. It is morally wrong to attempt to steal such public property from the public. End of story.

Those people are nothing but thieves attempting to steal what the public owns.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post

Those people are nothing but thieves attempting to steal what the public owns.
Guessing you are not a homeowner!

Old 08-24-2013, 12:40 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Amen BROTHER AMEN!

Old 08-24-2013, 12:46 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I am 37 and the last time I was in college was 25 years ago but, yes, I still remember going to Mesa for two years before transferring to UC Santa Barbara. Also, I'm calling BS because Mesa college has been there since the early 1960's and was zoned for that location since the early 1950's so just about EVERYONE who lives there know moved there either after the college was built or at least when it was on the books and so they had plenty of fair warning. Unless your parents moved their in the late 1940's then, no, it wasn't a surprise that the college was put there.

If you don't like the neighborhood then move but whining about something you knew good and well would be there after the fact just sounds like soar grapes to me. In fact it reminds me of the whining I heard in the early 80's in Mira Mesa when people would complain about the jet noise from the military base. The military base had been there since the 1880's and the houses in that area weren't built until the late 1970's to early 1980's so moving next to an airfield then whining about noise from aircraft is just BS. They knew what they were getting into when they bought the place just like the people next to Mesa College.
You have a very bizarre take on what makes up a neighborhood. I have a couple of facts for you. The City Council said our best option was to petition for parking passes which is exactly what my Parents did. So, you can complain and name call all you want the parking passes are legal and YOU can buy a parking pass at Mesa College. Park in our hood because you are too cheap to get one and you'll get a big FAT COUPON to the City. You can take those FACTS to the bank! Enjoy your three mile hike to school.

Excuse me while I go move Dad's RV out onto the STREET

Old 08-24-2013, 05:55 PM

It's not an opinion or a take but a FACT that the streets (including street side parking) is public property and ALL of the public should have equal access to public parking. Demanding that one group get exclusive use of public property IS arrogant and elitist. That's just a fact. You're attempting to steal fair use of public property from the 99.99% of the population which doesn't own property right there when in fact they should have complete free access to public parking provided they follow the same fair use rules as everyone else. In my mind that is theft. If you're attempting to take away fair use from the public of public property then the only thing which can be said is that you're a thief and that your position is absolutely immoral.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
In fact, I am but I did my due diligence to make sure what type of neighborhood I was moving into which is why I have so little regard for people who are too lazy to do so themselves. They knew the college was there (or was planned to be there if they moved there in the 1950s) so whining about college kids being around after the fact is just sour grapes on their part. A position without any merit what so ever.

I would still support the city paying to expand low cost or free parking on the college campus, as that just makes sense and is logical, plus that would reduce the impacts on neighboring communities. But making rules saying the general public isn't allowed to make fair use of publicly owned property? Nope. I won't budge on that one at all because it is just immoral and an attempted theft of the public's fair use to property which they themselves already own.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Excuse me while I go move Dad's RV out onto the STREET
All you're saying is that you found corrupt politicians who are willing to screw over the vast, vast majority of this city's taxpayers to placate their arrogant and unreasonable demands for private use of public property. That doesn't change the fact that it is immoral, reprehensible, and should be stopped immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego