Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 11:14 PM

28 posts, read 78,123 times

Advertisements

Can anyone chime in on the cost of living in San Diego compared to San Francisco?

And what about the "quirkiness factor" in San Francisco--is there any of that in SD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 12:18 AM

278 posts, read 277,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingtulip View Post
Can anyone chime in on the cost of living in San Diego compared to San Francisco?

And what about the "quirkiness factor" in San Francisco--is there any of that in SD?
SD is less expense than San Fran but it comes at a price: less to do. Very little quirkiness, there is no sub culture. It's a small clean-cut suburban beach town. If it weren't for Los Angeles being so near by, SD might be the West Coast equivalent of Tampa Bay

I was thinking today. What else is there to do but drive to the beach (for a walk) or a hike in the mountains? How many times can you go to the same Balboa Park? No wonder so many people around here are smoking Pot, it's boring. I'm counting down the weeks

Old 03-16-2014, 12:57 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
SD is less expense than San Fran but it comes at a price: less to do. Very little quirkiness, there is no sub culture. It's a small clean-cut suburban beach town. If it weren't for Los Angeles being so near by, SD might be the West Coast equivalent of Tampa Bay

I was thinking today. What else is there to do but drive to the beach (for a walk) or a hike in the mountains? How many times can you go to the same Balboa Park? No wonder so many people around here are smoking Pot, it's boring. I'm counting down the weeks
I think this is a pretty inaccurate description from a person with a negative view of the place, probably also hanging out with the wrong people.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:05 AM

278 posts, read 277,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I think this is a pretty inaccurate description from a person with a negative view of the place, probably also hanging out with the wrong people.
Could you please offer some examples of what you do for pleasure?
- Coronado
- Seaport Village
- Old Town
- Balboa Park
- Carlsbad
- Zoo/Sea World

Because almost everything here is new, big and sterile. There is no underground or quirkiness. Very little unexpected excitement because before you even step out the front door you have to plan
- Which freeway to take
- Where to park
- How much to pay for parking (how long you're staying)

High costs have run little mom and pop ownership out of town. So most things are corporate, even by the beach. Meaning you know exactly what you will see/experience. There is no mystery or originality. How often are you surprised around here? It's all "nice". After spending extended periods in cities like Berlin & Istanbul, I'm unable to experience SD the same way. How can I look forward to spending the next 30 years of my life in Suburbia, driving little Johnny to football games. I miss stepping out the door, taking the subway (boat in Turkey) and just walking/getting lost. Each block contains mysterious little hole in the walls with interesting people. A little shop could contain an underground hang out. Each day is different. SD is just too cookie cutter, too safe and nice. I thirst for more in life.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:44 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
This hasn't been my experience in 43+ years in Coastal North County. But maybe me and my friends are the conformist snobs you hate? haha. People are people wherever you go, so I'm not sure you'll ever find what you're looking for, but good luck in your next stop, wherever that is.
Actually the post reflects many peoples views at times including my own. People are people yes, but the comfort level in being oneself varies. Perhaps the weather here almost always moderate reflects the people. People here dislike conflict and avoid it and at times that leads the superficial claim by the writer you commented upon. Other cultures and people are warmer, without a doubt and yes able to take risks in relationship. I find most people kind of into their own thing here, not really wanting deeper relationships though naturally there are exceptions. Someimes the PC of the coast area gags me other times it fades so no hard and fast rules. I have learned to tolerate the person on my bumper to an extent, the overreaching laws into everything personal here and enjoy the ocean. Would I live here full time? Not a chance. There is to much to see and experience. The north coast in a word is pleasant.....and enjoyable within it's social restrictiveness imho.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:03 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Because almost everything here is new, big and sterile. There is no underground or quirkiness. Very little unexpected excitement because before you even step out the front door you have to plan
- Which freeway to take
- Where to park

High costs have run little mom and pop ownership out of town. So most things are corporate, even by the beach. Meaning you know exactly what you will see/experience. There is no mystery or originality. How often are you surprised around here? It's all "nice". After spending extended periods in cities like Berlin & Istanbul, I'm unable to experience SD the same way. How can I look forward to spending the next 30 years of my life in Suburbia, driving little Johnny to football games. I miss stepping out the door, taking the subway (boat in Turkey) and just walking/getting lost. Each block contains mysterious little hole in the walls with interesting people. A little shop could contain an underground hang out. Each day is different. SD is just too cookie cutter, too safe and nice. I thirst for more in life.
There's a huge range of difference between "almost everything here is new, big and sterile" and "I thirst for more in life". This is a false binary. SD has sterile places, and it has exciting places.

And surprise! SD is not like Turkey. What else is new?

Old 03-16-2014, 10:22 AM

199 posts, read 336,763 times
Quote:
- Coronado
- Seaport Village
- Old Town
- Balboa Park
- Carlsbad
- Zoo/Sea World

- Which freeway to take
- Where to park
Well that's your problem, you listed only locations around north county or city proper. Why don't you try venturing into east county, or ((gasp))....."south of the 8"???

After you've tried that, then your SD complaints will have more weight to them.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 PM

88 posts, read 196,265 times
Guys, I think it really comes down to personal preference, and we should be mindful of that in our post. I absolutely love San Diego, but I could see why some people are turned off and bored by it. In the same light I'm terribly turned off by NY, but I could also appreciate why some people love it. In both cases, I would never condemn the opposite side of my taste, and the regards to San Diego, the city means something different to each of us. Once again, "personally", I don't mind hiking or siting on a hill top all day pondering the larger questions of life and its meaning, or sitting at sunset cliffs at night marveling at the power of the oceans, but thats me and I totally dig how and why some people could die of boredom hanging with me So not to beat a dead horse, but before we knock something as an absolute, take a few seconds and realize our judgements are based on our own preferences (to which not everyone shares).

Old 03-16-2014, 01:01 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
fair enough but I'm from Chicago and have lived all over the country, lived in London, Holland, etc. I find San Diego plenty of exciting. I also find the beach towns quite "walkable" compared to Chicago areas, the only thing lacking is public transport which is not good anywhere in CA except maybe SF proper.

I live in supposedly "sleepy" Carlsbad and I've been entertained enough here to not even leave yet to visit downtown SD except a couple of times Balboa Park. Though I know the Hillcrest and North Park neighborhoods offer a lot of walkability and "quirk" as well. You listed all the tourist attractions!

Turkey? Can you find something like that anywhere in a major American City? Does your answer really work when someone form another US city is asking if there is a little quirk on SD?

Personally, there is the perfect amount of quirk here, in fact too much but they are somewhat concentrated in the North Park areas so I can somewhat avoid the hipsters!

Old 03-18-2014, 08:20 AM

27 posts, read 176,086 times
Quote:
- Coronado
- Seaport Village
- Old Town
- Balboa Park
- Carlsbad
- Zoo/Sea World

- Which freeway to take
- Where to park

This. I am by no means as much as an adventure seeker as you sound, but I was bored to tears in SD (13 years). It has no soul. As it continues to be built out with generic corporate shopping and eating it will only get worse.

However, I would say it is a great place to visit as a tourist for a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego