Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 09:34 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times

Advertisements

How do you consider regions of the county? Do you go by zip code or off the cuff visualization?

For example would you consider La Jolla North County even though it's City of SD? How about the Penasquitos area north of the 56 that has the 92127 zip code which is shared by Santaluz and other communities around there?

It seems the regions are all dictated by the City of SD proper. Eg. East county starting at the bordering cities east of SD proper, North County, north of Rancho Bernardo etc.

Or do you judge by visualization, location and aesthetics? School district?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 09:38 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
No, I don't go by zip codes because they are drastically different areas sometimes. Penasquitos as you mentioned might share a zip code with some other areas in the same zip code but they are vastly different vs. Santaluz and Del Sur, etc.

I think it also differs by the area. Some areas might have smaller areas within their zip code and others very large but I never look at just the zip codes.

I think I go more by visualization, location, etc.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:04 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,200 times
Good question.

I have always thought the county breaks up into the following four regions:

South Bay
East County
North County
Central

Some say Coastal and North County Coastal as well. A few think OB should be it's own country.

I go with a feel and visualization.

South of 54 is South Bay
East of 125 is East County
North of 56 is North County
Everything inside those freeways is Central San Diego.

Just my haphazard way of looking at things.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,200 times
There used to be a bumper sticker that said "There is no life east of the 5". I guess everything west of 5 is coastal....

Old 08-31-2013, 10:14 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
Good question.

I have always thought the county breaks up into the following four regions:

South Bay
East County
North County
Central

Some say Coastal and North County Coastal as well. A few think OB should be it's own country.

I go with a feel and visualization.

South of 54 is South Bay
East of 125 is East County
North of 56 is North County
Everything inside those freeways is Central San Diego.

Just my haphazard way of looking at things.

But I don't think that is too helpful because the areas within a region can be drastically different.

Take areas all within a very close area like Penasquitos, Rancho Bernardo, Santaluz, Del Sur, 4S Ranch, Fairbanks Ranch, Carmel Valley, Mira Mesa, etc. They are all very close but VERY VERY different feeling and vibe to each of them. As well the demographics can really be quite different as well.

I know Shmoov asked about regions but ultimately I think it always comes down to further defining what neighborhood you're speaking about. When someone asks what part you live in, just giving them the region often tells them nothing and you have to dig further anyway into specific neighborhoods.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:44 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
I think unofficially, these regions are designated around the City proper's neighborhoods and the cities bordering it.

So if 4S Ranch votes for SD elected officials, they are SD and not North County (eg. not 'north' of City of SD). But they may go to schools not in SDUSD. ie. These community exceptions were not originally part of the County general plan and agreements were made when the land was developed as to what schools and zip code they would have.

So for example, when referenced in this article:

"San Diego may be the biggest city in the county, but it's certainly not the only one. San Diego County is home to 18 different municipalities and 9 of those cities make up what we typically call North County."

Creating A Brand For North County | KPBS.org

In terms of Regional Development, I would think areas like 4S or Carmel Valley would be excluded from a North County Regional Development plan. But the residents might think otherwise. Whereas the Development Board would start at Del Mar northward into those cities and around the SD City borders.

Even the governing boards dont go by any kind of formulated region like a real estate agent might. Their Districts can go right through neighborhoods in SD and other cities.

Anyhow, this was just something I was curious about for random knowledge than anything else. Thanks guys!

Old 08-31-2013, 10:46 AM

6,503 posts, read 7,533,875 times
But I don't think that is too helpful because the areas within a region can be drastically different.

Take areas all within a very close area like Penasquitos, Rancho Bernardo, Santaluz, Del Sur, 4S Ranch, Fairbanks Ranch, Carmel Valley, Mira Mesa, etc. They are all very close but VERY VERY different feeling and vibe to each of them. As well the demographics can really be quite different as well.

I know Shmoov asked about regions but ultimately I think it always comes down to further defining what neighborhood you're speaking about. When someone asks what part you live in, just giving them the region often tells them nothing and you have to dig further anyway into specific neighborhoods.

True, Kensington and City Heights are right on top of each other but are worlds apart. If you lived in either you could say you live in Central SD, but it would be ambiguous. But maybe for someone who doesn't know all the neighborhoods/towns, its helpful to use regions.

Why does LA have a west-side and SD does not, not even a "West County."?

Old 08-31-2013, 11:02 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
I'm aware of San Diego (the city itself), North County Coastal, North County Inland, and East County. There's some overlap ... I've always considered RP and RB to be part of North County Inland although they'e within city limits.

No South County ... by the time you get east of Eastlake (which is Chula Vista) that's part of East County.

When they started all the development between Carmel Valley and RP, the UT posed the question of what to call that area. I was appalled by the possibility that they would come up with some absurd Spanglish name for it, so I nominated "North County Central".

What do I go by? I suppose mostly what I've heard and read the areas called in the media.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:40 PM

2,978 posts, read 1,565,068 times
Here when you're talking about movin on up to the east side, you mean Santee or Lakeside.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:36 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
How do you consider regions of the county? Do you go by zip code or off the cuff visualization?

For example would you consider La Jolla North County even though it's City of SD? How about the Penasquitos area north of the 56 that has the 92127 zip code which is shared by Santaluz and other communities around there?

It seems the regions are all dictated by the City of SD proper. Eg. East county starting at the bordering cities east of SD proper, North County, north of Rancho Bernardo etc.

Or do you judge by visualization, location and aesthetics? School district?
Hmmm, good question. I think North County begins at Rancho Bernardo, East County begins at La Mesa/Mt. Helix and South County begins at National City. Never really considered using zip codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego