Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:32 PM

2,979 posts, read 1,565,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheZona View Post
Would living in San Diego be a disappointment for someone who enjoys hot summer weather?
Not if you stayed far enough away from the coast, except for when we get either weather like this or hot Santa Anas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 08:39 PM

45 posts, read 96,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benshaton View Post
Not if you stayed far enough away from the coast, except for when we get either weather like this or hot Santa Anas.
In San Diego, do young, educated professionals tend to congregate in neighborhoods closer to the coast or further inland?

Old 09-01-2013, 09:15 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
In San Diego, do young, educated professionals tend to congregate in neighborhoods closer to the coast or further inland?
Young, educated professionals congregate wherever they choose to congregate.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:04 PM

1,538 posts, read 1,483,810 times
Quote:
Would living in San Diego be a disappointment for someone who enjoys hot summer weather?

About as big a disappointment as it would be for someone who enjoys a lot of rain. It rains infrequently but can really come down. It gets hot with humidity infrequently be can be very uncomfortable when it does.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:42 PM

2,979 posts, read 1,565,458 times
To sum up the last three months, the heat has been close to average for this area.

Summer passes with just one heat wave | UTSanDiego.com

Here's what September is like in San Diego,

National Weather Service - NWS San Diego

I'm hoping that at least if we have to suffer through the humidity, we'll get enough rain to thwart any fire danger from the Santa Anas. Have the recent storms in the mountains had that effect there yet? I love seeing the landscape turn green.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:05 PM

434 posts, read 988,384 times
Wait a minute. 20 days of left of summer?

Old 09-02-2013, 08:43 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benshaton View Post
That first summer here when I nearly froze ... I was in Tierrasanta, not at the coast. I don't know if it reached 70 degrees that entire summer. It was COLD!

Old 09-02-2013, 09:32 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I remember it being that hot in 2011 before I left which was in September although that heat may have been at the end of August. Like I said, I think most are caught off guard every year because there's no warning of its coming and most people in SD don't follow the weather that closely because most of the time you don't need to.

I agree. 2 summers ago we had a one week or so stretch of really hot and humid weather. I'm always amazed at many of our friends that say they have never turned on the AC yet all year besides last week. No way I'd want to live in San Diego without AC. There are always some times of the year where to be comfortable I think you'd need it.

If not, I'd spend lots of time at the beach, the pool or waterpark.

We've been at the beach, pool and today heading to Aquatica Water Park.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:19 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
And then, a couple of years ago, we had the summer where it never got hot.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:28 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalType View Post
I'm new to SD so not familiar with the summer weather patterns. I'm coming from New England, but our June-July-August there is very similar to the June-July-August I've experienced here so far. But since I don't know what to expect as fall rolls in, is it a good idea to keep a small a/c unit on hand?

My apt. came with a tower fan and ceiling fan, that's all, but so far it's fine. It's a very small place and I'm right off Mission Bay so I'm doing ok right now. I don't have a pool, though, sadface. Ice cream almost makes up for it... almost.

Mostly I just have a hard time moving the heat out of the apt. in the evening so I can get the cool night air in.
I said this in another thread, and I'll repeat it here as well.

Get a box fan, and put it in your window, and have it blow outward instead of inward. Use it as an exhaust fan.

Also open the other windows throughout the home/apt so the box fan will suck in the fresh cool air from these windows, and also blow out the hot air from all the rooms.

I have my box fan located in my kitchen window, and when I turn it on, I can feel fresh cool air being sucked in from every other window, including my bedroom.

And since my box fan is in my kitchen, I don't hear any fan noise when I sleep.

When I woke up this morning, my bedroom was 69, and the outside temp was 72.

Another option is get a portable indoor A/C unit like one of these:

Home Depot Portable A/C Units

I have a portable A/C and only use it when the weather gets extremely hot (90+). I just sit in front of it when I'm watching TV, etc.

When the sun goes down, then I turn it off and just use the box fan.

San Diego typically has some of it's hottest days in late August, September and October:

10 All Time Hottest Days in San Diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego