Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 01:29 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times

Advertisements

Former mayor Jerry Sanders is supporting Kevin Faulkner. There was a TV on **** (Cox channel 9) yesterday with Sanders speaking as to why he supports Faulkner. I don't believe Sanders support either DeMaio or Filner in the last mayoral race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 02:10 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
San Diego City Beat has endorsed Alvarez for mayor. I honestly still haven't even bothered to start looking at the candidates nor have I even opened the voter guide yet.

David Alvarez for San Diego mayor

I do note that both the left and the right seem to dislike Agguire and wish he would go away.
Yeah, I'll bet they do wish it!

I kind of liked that Mike Agguire wouldn't play games with the developers or the local pols. But recently I heard him in an interview, and I was appalled by his lack of self-awareness. I agree with a lot of his values, but he is too difficult to get along with, I think, to be an effective mayor.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:20 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Former mayor Jerry Sanders is supporting Kevin Faulkner. There was a TV on **** (Cox channel 9) yesterday with Sanders speaking as to why he supports Faulkner. I don't believe Sanders support either DeMaio or Filner in the last mayoral race.
You might have missed it but Sanders did indeed endorse DeMaio. Sanders is a card carrying member of the San Diego good old boy network, really is corrupt and willing to sell the powers of his office to the highest bidder, and he's also a total party man who will rubber stamp anyone the Republican Party nominates.

Mayor Sanders Endorses DeMaio | NBC 7 San Diego

Frankly, if Sanders is endorsing someone then that's a massive negative in my book. Worse, Faulkner really is just more of the same and he'll obviously continue the corrupt good old boy practices of funneling all public money into the pockets of which ever wealthy special interest gives him the most bribes, er... "Donations". He's the same type of good old boy crook who has run this once fine town into the ground.

As you can probably guess I'm trying to decide between voting for Fletcher or voting for Alvarez. Fletcher is saying nice things right now but I don't like how he keeps changing party affiliations with the wind and he seems to change his positions on the issues even faster. Alvarez seems rock solid and socially progressive (which I like) mixed with fiscal conservativism and an eye for neighborhood issues. I like that. What I don't like is how Alvarez seems to focus only on neighborhoods south of the I8. Yes, those neighborhoods need attention the most as they've been neglected for decades (often lacking even simple things like sidewalks) but I live well north of the I8 and don't want my neighborhood neglected. Plus most of the tax dollars are paid north of the I8 and it doesn't make sense to ignore the part of the town which pays for everything.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:28 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Another major negative against Alvarez in my book is how he endorsed the new Barrio Logan Master Plan which calls for pushing out the ship building industry and replacing it with yet more high priced water front condos. Ship building is the last real manufacturing industry we have in this town now that aircraft manufacturing is dead and Alvarez is willing to gamble losing that just so he can pander for Latino votes? That's a massive negative and no amount of high rise condos will replace the really good paying blue collar union jobs which ship building provides. Hell, ship building is actually growing in San Diego and adding more jobs so why the heck would we want to alienate those companies and attempt to push them out?

That's the type of short term thinking I can't support.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:01 AM

1,029 posts, read 2,482,531 times
I am contemplating writing in the Interim for Mayor at this point.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:13 AM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
We just cut the scammer a check for 20 grand.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:57 AM

745 posts, read 1,568,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We just cut the scammer a check for 20 grand.
As I read it he received the first check of an ongoing $20,000 per year pension the City is supposedly going to give him. This surprised me as I had read a conflicting article earlier saying he had not been mayor long enough to vest for a pension, but I also read another conflicting article saying his pension would be honored up to the point of his first offense while in office.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:07 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
I am contemplating writing in the Interim for Mayor at this point.
I hadn't thought of that. Now that I do think of it, I might do the same.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:43 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I hadn't thought of that. Now that I do think of it, I might do the same.
Or you can just vote for the party, not the person. Its about ideology.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:40 AM

9,823 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Big day is today
I'm calling my shot:
Alvarez By a 1000 votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego