Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times

Advertisements

I've been following this survey for years and SD can't seem to top the list. Third year in a row at #2.

The question asked:

"If you could live in or near any city in the country except the one you live in or nearest to now, which city would you choose?"

Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > California Stands Out as the State Where Americans Most
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 11:04 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
I would say that coming in at #2, just under NYC of all places and with all the other fine cities out there is nothing to sneeze at. San Diego is a real nice city but come on, it is not going satisfy the longings or needs of everyone.

Sometimes it is better to be #2 and realize that we can still aspire to be even better.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:20 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I would say that coming in at #2, just under NYC of all places and with all the other fine cities out there is nothing to sneeze at. San Diego is a real nice city but come on, it is not going satisfy the longings or needs of everyone.

Sometimes it is better to be #2 and realize that we can still aspire to be even better.
Subjective lists like this are just fun to look at, and I totally agree that coming in at #2 is pretty great. Nice to see LA and SF in the Top 5, as well. Does that mean California is back?

Old 09-06-2013, 01:22 PM

142 posts, read 205,404 times
That's why the COL is about the same in both cities.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:11 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Subjective lists like this are just fun to look at, and I totally agree that coming in at #2 is pretty great. Nice to see LA and SF in the Top 5, as well. Does that mean California is back?
I agree these types of lists are fun to look at. #2 seems great to me. Especially when you consider #1 was NYC.

I agree with you sdurbanite that it's great to see LA and SF in the top 5 list. People can complain about SD or California in general. High taxes, economy isn't as great as other places. But the fact remains it's one of the best places to live in the world. And probably always will be.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:51 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 795,278 times
I also find it interesting that NYC scores #1 in both least favorite AND most favorite . . .while SD doesn't even crack the top 15 in least favorite . . . . I can't put it into words, but to me this sums up both cities PERFECTLY.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:09 PM

434 posts, read 988,276 times
Some find us culturally dull but not horribly offensive?

Old 09-06-2013, 03:14 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
I also find it interesting that NYC scores #1 in both least favorite AND most favorite . . .while SD doesn't even crack the top 15 in least favorite . . . . I can't put it into words, but to me this sums up both cities PERFECTLY.
I agree. NYC and other east coast cities and Chicago can be polarizing. That's why I wanted to move west. There are things I like about Chicago (never been to NYC, what to go someday but figured I didn't want more of the same just on a bigger scale).

I visited North Park last weekend (and University Heights and I think Hillcrest). In fairness I can't say I made it to the nice or bustling part of North Park and I was quickly and easily scared of by the not as nice part. Before even going there I figured why move there in a place like SD when I came from Chicago? If I want urban and "up and coming neighborhoods" I'd go back there. I actually had a physical reaction to it and got out of there as fast as I could (was thinking about staying overnight). Reminds me too much of being in similar neighborhoods in Chicago. Which I thought were cool in my 20's now....would be my least favorite type of place to live and the thought of doing that to myself in San Diego when (what I consider the opposite) is available like the beach cities it seems mental to me to even consider it.

Hard to explain but a very visceral reaction. I imagine a lot of people dream of getting or staying far away from places like NYC or Chicago. Well, I think that explains most of the suburbs around them...

Old 09-06-2013, 03:22 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
For the states, I think Hawaii is so high because its just something people blurt out without much thought. Would you like to live on an island? Sure its fun to visit, but its an island, you can't go anywhere without paying a ton of money for it.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:07 PM

142 posts, read 205,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
.... If I want urban and "up and coming neighborhoods" I'd go back there. I actually had a physical reaction to it and got out of there as fast as I could (was thinking about staying overnight). Reminds me too much of being in similar neighborhoods in Chicago. Which I thought were cool in my 20's now....would be my least favorite type of place to live and the thought of doing that to myself in San Diego when (what I consider the opposite) is available like the beach cities it seems mental to me to even consider it.

Hard to explain but a very visceral reaction. I imagine a lot of people dream of getting or staying far away from places like NYC or Chicago. Well, I think that explains most of the suburbs around them...

I feel exactly the same, which is why I am looking at very suburban communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego