Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 05:22 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
If there is an issue you can talk it out with the police officer.
After they tow your car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 09:41 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,088,992 times
In Sitka there was a six month moratorium on any parking violation tickets as there was a suit brought and the judge ruled that the citation had to be given personally to the owner driver of the car. Since that was not practical they just stopped writing tickets. Now that is passed and once again citations are being placed on the vehicles.

As you can see Alaskans don't take it lying down. An additional lawsuit is planned. Anchorage rarely if ever has issues like this. Towing a vehicle parked in 2 feet of snow is fairly impractical and uber expensive. The laws on parking are mostly actually for the big RV's which come up bearing all manner of people. In Eagle River parking is not an issue. That is one reason we like it.

If you all are good with a 72 hour limit for a vehicle so be it. Just tell them to strap that on with the other fees taxes and fines y'all are saddled with.

Sunshine? It's nice. Freedom is a bit colder but better.

If you ever come up....feel the difference where a state does not see you as a financial resource. One feels honored and welcomed. You know....a citizen.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:45 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,088,992 times
Back by popular demand.

I have a hearing in about a month from now. I researched the municipal law and it was designed for RV and Campers. In addition I contacted the DMV and they feel that any law which can be violated needs to be posted. I plan to take pics talk about the intent of the law and quote the DMV.....Thats my plan.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:45 PM

62 posts, read 834,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I parked my vehicle on the street and it was tagged for "not being moved more than 1/10 mile in over 72 hours". $53.00

I appealed (pending) identifying that there is no signage to this effect on the streets. Has anyone heard of this bullsh**? California - Unfkingbelieveable.
actually yes, i've heard of this.

growing up in san diego, i never got a partking ticket. then i moved to philly, and the first year i got 6 parking tickets. some for parking "the wrong way" (don't get me started on how particular they can get), in "the wrong spot," etc, etc. and yes, i've gotten tickets for not moving it in a certain amount of time. and each ticket was over $50

luckily i'm back to where i can understand things. getting a ticket does suck, so i do feel your pain tho

Old 10-19-2013, 07:55 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,523,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbagefile View Post
actually yes, i've heard of this.

growing up in san diego, i never got a partking ticket. then i moved to philly, and the first year i got 6 parking tickets. some for parking "the wrong way" (don't get me started on how particular they can get), in "the wrong spot," etc, etc. and yes, i've gotten tickets for not moving it in a certain amount of time. and each ticket was over $50

luckily i'm back to where i can understand things. getting a ticket does suck, so i do feel your pain tho
I thought the law here in San Diego is that you have to park in the direction of traffic depending on what side of the street you are on even in residential areas (unlike from where I came from).

I got a parking ticket in Clairmont Area for facing the wrong way while parked on the curb...this was 10 years ago when I was new in town, lesson learned.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:55 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,875,465 times
The 72 hour parking limit is fine with me. Problem I see are vehicles parked much longer than the 72 hour rule and no one takes notice. Sometimes it takes weeks before the city takes any action. I see cars on a regular basis that have been parked so long they have cobwebs on them and are so covered with grit you could not even see out the windows.

A lot of them have out of states plates too and finally get cited for a parking violation and also failure to register in CA in the required 20 days. You see a lot of these problems around large apartment complexes with restricted parking.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:04 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The 72 hour parking limit is fine with me. Problem I see are vehicles parked much longer than the 72 hour rule and no one takes notice. Sometimes it takes weeks before the city takes any action. I see cars on a regular basis that have been parked so long they have cobwebs on them and are so covered with grit you could not even see out the windows.

A lot of them have out of states plates too and finally get cited for a parking violation and also failure to register in CA in the required 20 days. You see a lot of these problems around large apartment complexes with restricted parking.
If it bothers you that a vehicle is parked for weeks in the same place (I assume parking is *really* tight in your neighborhood or something, and that you're not just a busybody who notices how long other people's cars have been in the same spot) you'd make much better use of your time complaining to the city than to a bunch of strangers on a message board.

I can't understand why you'd care one way or the other about out-of-state license plates though.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:11 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,875,465 times
Thanks for the reply Jenkay. The previous description of you as a tool kinda fits

Old 10-21-2013, 07:19 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,980,987 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Jenkay. The previous description of you as a tool kinda fits
I fully agree with Jenkay.

It is not the City of San Diego's responsibility to get people to learn the traffic laws.

These traffic laws are not being hidden.

They are available online for everyone to read. I posted the link in a previous post.

If you choose to drive a car here in San Diego, you should take the time to learn the laws.

Laws which apply to all streets do not need to be posted on every single street.

The only time signs are necessary is when there are unique rules that apply to specific streets but not others.

Lawbreakers should take responsibility for their own actions and not point the blame elsewhere.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:50 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,061 times
Quote:
I know that came across as snarky. Point is, nobody's going to do anything unless you call the city and report them. But only reprt them if they're actually causing problems, like in a really dense area where parking is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego