Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 09:47 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions...How far out does the trolley travel these days? Way back when there was talk of it coming out to the north area however I think that got voted down. We can drive of course to a station and we have good health so we can do alot of walking, especially with the great weather you have there. We are located in a small rural community in the middle peninsula of Virginia so we will need to get used to traffic again.

Just for fun...does anyone know why the HOA dues are so high? I am wondering if they include some utilities if we considered buying after all.

Our budget is $2000 tops. Maybe I could get one of our family members whom also lives there and leases to go in with us and get a really nice single family home with a yard. Sure would solve alot of problems...well maybe.
Here's the public transportation map: San Diego Metropolitan Transit System

Some HOA dues include utilities. Ours includes water. We sort of wish it didn't, since we're frugal water users so we're subsidizing profligant users. Luckily, our HOA turned towards zeriscaping to cut water costs.

Condo versus SFH. We really like not having to worry about grounds upkeep. We really miss having someplace to park an RV-type trailer, or having a fixit/kick-back type of shed. We used to really miss having space to garden in, but lately we're renting a raised garden bed from our local county park. Anyone need any squash? That stuff grows silly fast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 11:13 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
We used to really miss having space to garden in, but lately we're renting a raised garden bed from our local county park. Anyone need any squash? That stuff grows silly fast!
Squash is a weed that someone decided had nutritional value.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:27 PM

99 posts, read 162,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
So true..I guess the issue overall is not wanting to be living in a community that is full of college kids. In a past life in SD when I was single my residence was in Mission Valley. All hours of the night I was awaken by loud talking, loud music and cars going in and out of the lower garage. I love my grandchildren however I do not want to be subjected to yelling parents and unruly kids running up and down hallways

So...living in a more adult community is very appealing. Arizona has alot of single housing for seniors however I have lived there and do not want to return. Hopefully we can find a regular townhome in a more mature
community that would not be appealing to the ones mentioned above...

PS..I am well aware of discrimination laws regarding housing..I will just need to do some research regarding particular properties..and or go and hang out for awhile on a visit.
Dear Rudydog1, Keep posting & let us know what you decide..I have been posting for over a year now trying to figure out where to relocate..Calif..Nevada..Arizona. Somehow I keep coming back to Calif. I currently live in Iowa, widow and will be turning 60 in Nov..finally able to receive late husbands SS...been a tough 2 years making it on my own...Anyway I want to rent an apartment in a 55+ complex..I have no desire to own a home...cant keep up with what I have..I will still need to work to supplement the SS & don't want to rent for more than $950....1 bedroom enough..I just need a new experience in my life and don't want to return to my home state of NJ where I have family...please let me know if you find anything exciting.....Thank you...all help would be appreciated

Old 09-19-2013, 05:18 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Apartments in senior complex start at around $700 depending on the complex and area. The ones in the nicer areas cost more.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Apartments in senior complex start at around $700 depending on the complex and area. The ones in the nicer areas cost more.
Thank You Moved....will keep checking the apartment guide...so many to look at compared to small town Iowa.......Just want a nice, safe, close to things apt....am I asking too much..Just cant handle the weather here..winter coming soon and way too much snow shoveling for me....hubby took care of that but I just cant do it....So less stress for a change would be great...Thanks again for the reply

Old 09-19-2013, 06:35 PM

Don't look in the apartment guide - look on Craigslist, then post the addresses here of what you find.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Don't look in the apartment guide - look on Craigslist, then post the addresses here of what you find.
Ok will do that..Thank You....Just hope I can make it out to So.Ca before I get too old Looking into the Murrieta/Tem area also....My brother think Las Vegas better choice cost wise but oh not sure about crime/safety...Again thank you....hope to sell my house soon and than I will be forced to make that big decision...Have a great day

Old 09-22-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
oh having a tough time finding anything under $900. Found 55+apt in San Marcos for $905. which includes water & trash...1607 Grandon Ave.....Looks nice but have to research San Marcos because never considered that area...This is tougher than I thought. Thank you again

Old 09-22-2013, 11:38 AM

Most places don't include utilities, but do pay water and trash, you have to pay your own gas and electricity.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Most places don't include utilities, but do pay water and trash, you have to pay your own gas and electricity.
Well at least water & trash are included..have to pay big bucks for that here..wouldn't think so in small town Iowa but thats the truth.. not too concerned about gas & elec it has to be cheaper than my heating bills here during the -30degree winter days....ugh...I will continue my quest...my head is spinning from all the different locations out there...The Tem/Murrieta area seems a tad more reasonable...Palm Desert even more so but don't think I can handle that heat for months on end...ugh...Thank you again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego