Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 06:45 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times

Advertisements

Congratulations!

Did you look at other areas of the city? What made you choose that area?

I chose Colonia Independencia due to the safety, and proximity away from the border (20 minute walk).

How is the driving? Can you drive to grocery stores and such like you do in San Diego? It sounds like it if there is a Costco there.

The driving is OK if you like having people make a right turn directly in front of you from the left hand lane. I don't drive here unless I'm going to San Diego. I have gated parking, and my van sits in front of my door until I need to use it. I don't go to grocery stores here, and there is a Costco about a mile away.

Have you ever felt unsafe? Do you dine out there? Is your place quiet?

I've never felt unsafe, and I don't dine out, eating out isn't in my budget. I have a standalone freezer in addition to the one in my refrigerator, and I cook for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 06:48 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Ah..yeah DEFINITELY try to get the Sentri pass. I have a few friends that got rejected which was surprising. They didn't have any problems with income but I guess when they were in college they got arrested for some public intoxication or minor things but I guess SENTRI is VERY hard core and difficult sometimes.

And one American guy that was nicely dressed and middle aged they asked to see his IRS tax returns! I couldn't believe it..... I didn't bring anything with me except my utility bills which they demanded to see. But that's pretty much it. They could already see from my passport activity that I have been all over the world and travel all throughout the year. The lady joked and asked if I worked for the CIA. LOL.

When I went for my interview I saw many people getting rejected! Most were Mexican but the guy sitting next to me was living here in San Diego but I guess was going to school in TJ and he said he didn't have time to wait in traffic. Holy crap! The borders agent know EVERYTHING. They were grilling him like who your aunt is, what is your uncle's name....do you know why he has legal problems, and tons of other questions. He got rejected and was crying. Like balling! I felt bad for him.

His English wasn't so good. And surprisingly many of those Border agents don't speak any Spanish which I couldn't believe! The guy was like, "you speak Spanish ...my English not so good....". And the Border official was like, "No man, this is the USA....why don't you speak English if you live here!". Just brutal.

I suggested to my friends to appeal so write in and follow that procedure. My 2 friends that followed my advice did in fact get approved after they wrote in. There is an Ombudsman that you can write in to so look online and I'm sure you will get approved. The only people I heard that can't get it are people that have any type of convictions including drunk driving. But DEFINITELY write in to appeal if you have never gotten arrested, etc.

Yeah, I used to go down there when I was younger. I LOVE the Latin culture and used to just drive through Mexico and been to every country in South America. I just LOVE the culture and the people. Very genuine and friendly.

Surprisingly many didn't speak English then and it sounds like not too much has changed! LOL. But I'm sure you will manage. I'd encourage you to start learning Spanish. Even if it's just vocabulary. Start making flashcards and memorizing vocabulary. Start with each room in the house and learn everything. It will make your living experience SO MUCH better if you can communicate.

I got your PM so let's definitely plan a meet up. Ok....good luck and thanks again for sharing.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:15 PM

When I went for my interview, there was a list of documents that have you have to bring. ID, birth certificate, bank statement, vehicle registration and issuance, proof of income, and other stuff that I can't remember now.

I appealed via email with the Ombudsman on June 27, after I got home from my interview. No word yet, but I hear that you can make an appointment with a supervisor and talk to them.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:16 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times
Cool.

Independencia is decent working class people type of neighborhood. I am not permitted to live in Tijuana, but I would advise any person to give it a shot if the circumstances warranted.

Be patient with the CBP officers when you cross the border. They have an incredible task of screening out the wheat from the chaff.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
Cool.

Independencia is decent working class people type of neighborhood. I am not permitted to live in Tijuana, but I would advise any person to give it a shot if the circumstances warranted.

I like the area. It's convenient to the border so that I can walk if I want, and there's shopping within walking distance. I'm directly across the street from a market.

Be patient with the CBP officers when you cross the border. They have an incredible task of screening out the wheat from the chaff.
I do. I tell that secondary is now my second home. I try to make conversation with them, and it usually succeeds. I mainly try to get information about border crossing time. I drive into the directed lane, unlock all the doors and pop the hood latch. When they come around I tell them it's all done to make their job easier. I know that they have a thankless job, especially the night shifts, they get all the drunks.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:42 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I do. I tell that secondary is now my second home. I try to make conversation with them, and it usually succeeds. I mainly try to get information about border crossing time. I drive into the directed lane, unlock all the doors and pop the hood latch. When they come around I tell them it's all done to make their job easier. I know that they have a thankless job, especially the night shifts, they get all the drunks.
Why do you suppose you get sent to secondary so much?

Old 10-01-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Why do you suppose you get sent to secondary so much?
I have no idea. When I drive across the border, I take the regular lanes, and I think everyone gets sent to secondary from there. Plus, I drive an Astrovan, and I could be hiding people (fat chance!), and other stuff in there. Of course, they haven't found anything yet, neither has the dog or the X-ray machine.

Get sent to secondary walking across the border started the day that I signed my lease in August. They ask me a lot of questions, search my backpack and/or purse, plus do a light pat down. Maybe someday they'll realize that I have nothing to hide - on myself or my van. I was told by one inspector that a Sentri pass would help.

The next time I get a conversational agent, I'm going ask why, but will probably get told they can't. In the meantime, I just deal with it, I consider it part of life down here.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:03 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
Thanks bloom, I worked remotely for a company in San Francisco and bought a condo in San Diego and loved it. I was then laid off and looked for a job in SD but no one wanted to pay me a decent salary. I had a great offer in NYC so I relocated and have always had a vacation home on cape ann in Mass which I love especially in the summer and fall though some of the winter storms are incredible too (for a day or two).

I still spend as much time as I can in SD usually a few months a year as I can pretty much do my job from anywhere. Don't want to hijack moved's thread so let's hear about TJ, again congratulations Moved!
I like your story and locales a lot and your sensibilities. I can see why the gang of er et al have designated you one of the good guys. I'm not sure where I stand on the cd good guy spectrum, but I like my distinctive good guy/bad guy with attitude persona here.

If I don't get too personal, what general type of work do you do? Where are you originally from?

Back to moved and TJ...

Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Congratulations moved! I'm thrilled for you. You know I plan to spend more time in Tijuana. I got my Sentri pass a few months ago as I plan to spend more time there. I haven't gone down in a while and my wife doesn't have a Sentri pass but she just applied a few weeks ago and is waiting for it. You DEFINITELY should get the Sentri pass as it will drastically speed things up for you both via car and land crossings.

In my younger days I spent many a weekend in Tijuana. Now that I'm an old fart...not so much! LOL.

We plan to go down more often and enjoy the culinary scene. We have many friends from Mexico. Do you speak Spanish? Are you fluent?

moved, you're a great poster and valuable Citydata member. We definitely have to meet up. I have a nice house warming present for you so the next time I go down let's meet up for lunch/coffee. I'll send you a PM.

Again, congrats and thanks for sharing. Also, you might want to download this App for your iPhone. I hear it's pretty good. I plan to use it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/best...570288644?mt=8
You'll probably want to park your tesla at the san ysidro outlet mall parking lot, or better yet take your other car, the Hummer (boy you really don't see them anymore; i saw them a lot on the east coast 7-10 years ago; I wonder if they are still prevalent there with the snow and all). I hear interesting things about these food/wine etc private tours (I think sdurbanite knows more): Turista Libre— Rad Tijuana Tours!: PRIVATE TOURS. Try the tortamobile too, though too charcoal-y for me..

Old 10-01-2013, 10:36 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
When I went for my interview, there was a list of documents that have you have to bring. ID, birth certificate, bank statement, vehicle registration and issuance, proof of income, and other stuff that I can't remember now.

I appealed via email with the Ombudsman on June 27, after I got home from my interview. No word yet, but I hear that you can make an appointment with a supervisor and talk to them.
Oops. Ok..I didn't see that. I didn't bring my birth certificate, bank statements or any vehicle registration, proof of income? I didn't see that on the list when I applied. I think all my letter said was to bring my passport, CA driver's license and utility bills. That's it. All they asked me was for both ID's and my utility bills. I think they already know everything else when they pre-approve you? Because on that application you have to put all your details. Where you lived for the past many years, where you've worked for the past many years, etc.

Don't email with those types of appeals with Ombudsman. Send a written letter and send it Priority or Certified or something where you can track it and make sure someone got it. Emails sometimes go without getting read. NO reason you should get rejected if you've never had legal problems or never lied to customs agents, brought fruit in, etc.

For example, I talked to someone that said they got rejected because one time they accidentally brought in an apple (fruit) from a foreign country and they told the customs they didn't have any fruits or vegetables. And they had NO idea that that agent reported it but they were flagged in the system! They accidentally had an apple in their bag and got caught. There is a good reason why they are so stringent as they are putting a lot of faith and trust in you as a "Trusted Traveler".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
I like your story and locales a lot and your sensibilities. I can see why the gang of er et al have designated you one of the good guys. I'm not sure where I stand on the cd good guy spectrum, but I like my distinctive good guy/bad guy with attitude persona here.

If I don't get too personal, what general type of work do you do? Where are you originally from?

Back to moved and TJ...
Bloom, you're one of the "good guys" as well. That's why I invited you to lunch. LOL. I don't do that with people that aren't one of the "good guys". We're a tough crowd. :P But seriously, I'm a big fan of your posts. Your posts come across as tough...but fair. (Sometimes opinionated but then again most of ours do....). Every single person I've met on Citydata they turned out EXACTLY as I imagined them. Pretty much they come across in real life how their posts come across..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
You'll probably want to park your tesla at the san ysidro outlet mall parking lot, or better yet take your other car, the Hummer (boy you really don't see them anymore; i saw them a lot on the east coast 7-10 years ago; I wonder if they are still prevalent there with the snow and all). I hear interesting things about these food/wine etc private tours (I think sdurbanite knows more): Turista Libre— Rad Tijuana Tours!: PRIVATE TOURS. Try the tortamobile too, though too charcoal-y for me..
Ha, ha. Yeah, no crossing the border in the Tesla. I tried to register the Audi (no Hummers for me....yuck) but the line to register a vehicle was too long when I went. I will have my wife do it. We do plan to drive across for dinners. I'll just buy that separate car insurance for across the border.

My wife and I do plan to do visits there more to eat. The girl that cuts my hair has a lot of family there and she goes weekly and RAVES about the great, food that is super affordable. Several of our friends are Mexican as well so we're going to try to do "couples night" there for dinners. They already are all SENTRI pass holders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego