Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:54 PM

31 posts, read 89,298 times

Advertisements

A lot of properties in Poway have garage conversions, but these seem all to be unpermitted. I want to convert a garage into a liveable space, but I want to get permits. Is that possible, or does Poway never approve garage conversions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 11:30 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,482,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky132 View Post
A lot of properties in Poway have garage conversions, but these seem all to be unpermitted. I want to convert a garage into a liveable space, but I want to get permits. Is that possible, or does Poway never approve garage conversions?
Permits are expensive.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:31 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky132 View Post
I don't have any insight for you, but I will voice my opinion that to me this sounds funny, that I need the city's permission on what I can do with my garage.

Other than when it comes time to sell the house, when else could not having a permit affect you?

Old 10-09-2013, 12:30 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,113 times
Call the city. They really are helpful here in Poway. You can even drop by the city administration office and speak in person with someone who would know.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:21 AM

50,285 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Permits are a ripoff but if you get caught you will be forced to get a permit to demo it.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:20 AM

11 posts, read 19,623 times
I hope Poway permit deptarment is better a doing what they are paid to do than San Diego permit department. We had a really hard time getting SD permit people to sign off on a addition even though the plans were copies of an addition that was already signed off on and done to mutiple homes in my development.(neigbors who had it done gave us copys of their plans) They would take the plans in back and leave us sitting out there for an hour or more only to come back with some really small reason not to approve it.(like five or six different visits) They kept wanting us to get a engineer to stamp it first. $$$$

Old 10-09-2013, 11:59 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Yes it can be done, it is always a matter of 'how' its done with City departments. Are you planning on working with a contractor?

Really it all comes down to your plans. Are you making this a separate living unit with a kitchen, bathroom etc? In that case you may need R2 zoning. I am not sure about Poway, but that zoning comes from the County, not the City.

Just like your other question regarding land plots for building on, follow the same steps in that thread for asking the planning dept if what guidelines there are for conversions or whatever your plans are before starting.
I would presume a reputable, licensed contractor would also give your sound advice.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...s-planned.html

Old 10-18-2013, 11:43 PM

Well I went to City Hall in Poway and it turns out you can't convert your garage because all houses in Poway need a two car garage. Or at least you could convert it but you'd have to build another 2 car garage... so pretty pointless! There are a ton of houses that do this anyway but they are unpermitted (or they did it before Poway incorporated). However, when it's time to sell your house it could cause issues; for instance, some people with government loans couldn't buy it, etc. A bit of a bummer. I know in other cities it's fine, but not Poway anymore (since they were incorporated in the 80's)

Old 10-19-2013, 02:01 AM

70 posts, read 127,967 times
There are a lot of people who convert garages without permits. It only affects you if you need to resell or if it comes up during home owners insurance (if the house requires a walk through or if something like a fire happens in the conversion causing damage to the main house, etc) have you thought about a sunroom?

Old 10-19-2013, 09:18 AM

I was just updating people who might have been interested. It's not possible to do it with a permit in Poway. Of course you can do it unpermitted but if you want to increase the value of your house by adding more square footage on record it won't do that and can be a liability. Some cities it's not a problem and can be permitted, but not Poway. So wanted to pass on the info to other interested readers out there. Yes, I'm thinking of a different addition now instead of a garage conversion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego