Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 10:13 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Absolutely. Always glad to share

My wife is from NJ and she LOVES LOVES the DD Hazelnut coffee (light and sweet). I am not the biggest fan of their coffee, but they do have some baller donuts, munchkins and breakfast sandies.

Yeah, they are everywhere/corner east of the Pecos it seems. I had read in other business articles they are trying to be conservative and not grow too fast in CA. I guess they are teasing for now, before total domination. lol
Maybe they learned from Krispy Kreme's, lukwarm response in SD in the past.

I had heard they DID in fact or still do have DD at the Navy Commissary in National City. Not sure if its there anymore though.
Mine is from Joisey too I love DD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 10:44 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Great responses so far.

Yeah, its TOTALLY a nostalgia thing like Jenkay said. The food really is mediocre, but they are like factories. I am always impressed with how fast and efficient they are there from a business standpoint.
For consistency, being a chain and all, they do keep it straight, especially the coffee. I am not a huge fan of the coffee, but never had a bad cup there either.

In terms of similarity of business, If I had a choice between Tim Hortons and DD, I would take Tim Hortons any day.

What do you guys think would be the same for here in San Diego?
Boll Weevil? Farrell's? XXXbertos? Rubios?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:59 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
My fondest memories of DD mostly revolved around it being the only place open at 2AM in my town.

I like donuts, but I dont really eat them. I'm more of an espresso drinker so the coffee isn't a big draw for me either.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:25 AM

6,497 posts, read 7,525,332 times
I love DD's coffee (this is the brand we buy at home) and breakfast sandwiches, I am not a big doughnut guy thought. I think DD's focus is really not doughnuts anymore but more so their coffee brand. I also like Jack in The Box's 24 hour breakfast model, I find myself at their drive-thru at least once a month ordering breakfast sandwiches.. Its actually quite good for my health that McDonalds stops serving breakfast at 10, I usually don't have an appetite until after 11AM.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:44 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Great responses so far.

Yeah, its TOTALLY a nostalgia thing like Jenkay said. The food really is mediocre, but they are like factories. I am always impressed with how fast and efficient they are there from a business standpoint.
For consistency, being a chain and all, they do keep it straight, especially the coffee. I am not a huge fan of the coffee, but never had a bad cup there either.

In terms of similarity of business, If I had a choice between Tim Hortons and DD, I would take Tim Hortons any day.

What do you guys think would be the same for here in San Diego?
Boll Weevil? Farrell's? XXXbertos? Rubios?
Farrell's would be my Favorite followed by Bobs Big Boy
We use to go to Farrell's in Chula Vista After Pop Warner football Games
But as someone Mention,They need to be careful this time as to not end up like Krispy Kreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
My fondest memories of DD mostly revolved around it being the only place open at 2AM in my town.

I like donuts, but I dont really eat them. I'm more of an espresso drinker so the coffee isn't a big draw for me either.

DD and Yum Yum donuts 24 hours
Good Times!

Old 10-10-2013, 02:42 PM

316 posts, read 665,804 times
Dunkin' Donuts - it ain't no Krispy Kreme

Old 10-10-2013, 06:09 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times
Does anybody think a Dunkin Donuts would be a worthy franchise opportunity in San Diego?

I am coming to a crossroads in my life and starting to consider retirement in the next few years, but can't see myself just doing nothing. I have thought about some kind of franchise or small business but just brainstorming at this point.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:19 PM

1,536 posts, read 1,482,253 times
Was Dunkin run out of town by the Cambodians like Winchell's was? Why would now be different?

Also Krispy Kreme arrived with much fanfare about a dozen years ago and ended up closing most of the local stores. It's a tough market.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:20 PM

1,536 posts, read 1,482,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Dunkin Donuts tried and failed miserably here in San Diego in the early 90's.
There use to be one on Spring street in La Mesa years ago!

I think we had Dunkin Donuts here at least as far back as the 1970's until the 1990's. So they had a decent run before going away.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:29 PM

6,497 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Was Dunkin run out of town by the Cambodians like Winchell's was? Why would now be different?
Because its more of a coffee shop than a doughnut shop. I think its competition will not be just Yum Yum and the Happy Sunshine doughnut places, but rather Starbucks and Coffee Bean.

Where Starbucks sells yogurt frappes and alot of "fu fu" type on the go SUV mom type food, Dunkin will have sausuge, bacon, and ham type breakfast sandwiches. You know, MAN FOOD .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego