Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 09:03 AM

200 posts, read 354,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Let's face it, Coronado doesn't get much hype on CD because 99% of the posters could never afford it for the long haul.

It's best not to let the newbies get excited thinking they could ever afford a place as bucolic as Coronado.

Craigslist, Trulia etc are not the best sites to search for Coronado rentals. Many go by word of mouth and drive by. Most rentals are advertised in the Coronado Eagle (comes out every wednesday and is available online) and do not make it to Craigslist. In the summer time, many rentals don't even make it to the Eagle. A For Rent sign goes up out front of the rental house and it gets snapped up.

We took the time to network with many of the rental agents and owners. We stayed in temp accommodation for 1.5 months before we could find a house!

THere are many stories of Coronado people who "make it work" to live on the Island. I have personally heard stories of separated women with children who really want to remain on the "island" and opt for a small studio, 1 or two bedroom apartment (which is still expensive by SD standards). One lady mentioned that she lived in a small 2 bedroom with her older boys. The boys had a room each and she slept in the living room. It is worth it for her to stay on the island to keep her kids in the school they know and with their friends. Some people just rent a room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
That's great! Thanks for taking the time to share with us. I agree Coronado is really a great place. Out of curiosity and to help future posters, can you tell us what your weekly/monthly budget is?

Keep up the posts and thanks for "giving back" to the site.
We pay $3800 for a 4 bedroom house. Our initial, ideal budget was $3300, but that wasn't gonna cut it if we wanted a 4 bedroom house, so we had to stretch our finances. Our house is old, but spacious and also centrally located.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:11 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
I generally wouldn't want to rent in an area I couldn't afford to buy unless it was temporary. I wouldn't want to get my hopes up, or get my kids accustomed to the lifestyle only to have to uproot them.

Coronado is a closed system, you either love it and can't afford it, or it's somewhere you occasionally take out-of-town visitors. I think most people who can afford 1MM++ housing tend to look further north where it's more private and a bit more updated.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:23 AM

9,821 posts, read 11,542,629 times
When it comes to home buying in Coronado,it is definitely an Old Money closed community.
Unless you like condo life!

When i win the Powerball tonight I'm buying this place
1043 Ocean Boulevard Coronado 92118, Coronado CA - Trulia

All you city-data regulars are invited over for the house warming party

Old 10-16-2013, 11:32 AM

36 posts, read 63,863 times
Lowest overall crime rate ranking for San Diego County is:
1. 4S Ranch
2. Poway
3. Coronado

Lowest violent crime rate:
1. Coronado
2. Poway
3. 4S Ranch

Every week the Coronado Eagle Journal lists the crimes that occur the week prior and over 60% are bicycle theft, with rest DUI, disorderly conduct etc. Bike owners often don't lock their bikes or don't use heavy duty locks.

Interestingly the Coronado Cays has a much lower crime rate than Coronado Village. Ninety percent of crime occurs in the village, with a sprinkling in the Cays. The village definitely brings down the neighborhood as far as Coronado is concerned. Some people don't like the isolated distance of the Cays, but the residents that live there enjoy the secluded resort style Caribbean island vibe and are only 10-15 minutes away the amenities of the ninth largest city in the U.S, San Diego.

Data Quick regular lists Coronado as the most expensive city per square foot, even more than La Jolla and RSF. However RSF and La Jolla have higher overall prices due to their larger homes and lots. Coronado is on the expensive side, due to it's exellent school system, beach vibe, proximity to downtown San Diego, beautiful homes and relative safe atmosphere.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I generally wouldn't want to rent in an area I couldn't afford to buy unless it was temporary. I wouldn't want to get my hopes up, or get my kids accustomed to the lifestyle only to have to uproot them.

Coronado is a closed system, you either love it and can't afford it, or it's somewhere you occasionally take out-of-town visitors. I think most people who can afford 1MM++ housing tend to look further north where it's more private and a bit more updated.
Parts of Coronado could do with a bit of updating, especially the interiors of some of the older houses. Many landlords probably realize the area is in high demand, so they can command high rent without having to bother about updating of renovating their property. We are personally lucky that our carpet is in reasonable condition and our landlord painted part of the interior, which freshened up the house for us.

Last edited by possum_magic; 10-16-2013 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,884,817 times
I've always wondered why people who can afford multi million dollar homes would want to live in Coronado. With that kind of cash there must be less congested areas in the county with a better living environment.

You own a 16 million dollar home and you have bumper to bumper cars parked along the curb adjacent to your house and hoards of tourists tramping on your lawn and letting the family pet do his business on your property.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:08 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,528,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I've always wondered why people who can afford multi million dollar homes would want to live in Coronado. With that kind of cash there must be less congested areas in the county with a better living environment.

You own a 16 million dollar home and you have bumper to bumper cars parked along the curb adjacent to your house and hoards of tourists tramping on your lawn and letting the family pet do his business on your property.
Some people just like the comforts and conveniences of community living, even the rich.

This sounds like a good topic of its own....if you had the $$$, would you prefer to live in Coronado Island/Cays, La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe, or own a big plot of land out in Alpine and build your custom home up in the hills?

Last edited by malcorub16; 10-16-2013 at 07:29 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 07:16 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possum_magic View Post
recent spate of bicycle thefts in the area
If you think that bicycle thefts are a recent phenomenon on the rock, then I can tell you really are a newcomer.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:28 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
This sounds like a good topic of its own....if you had the $$$, would you prefer to live in Coronado Island/Cays, La Jolla, Ranch Santa Fe, or own a big plot of land out in Alpine and build your custom home up in the hills?
I would choose Del Mar, Encinitas, or other coastal enclave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego