Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 06:15 PM

6 posts, read 14,092 times

Advertisements

Currently I live in Orange County with my husband and 3 kids. It's a great life, but my husband works hard at a job he doesn't love just to pay our huge mortgage. We are creative people who can imagine something different for ourselves and our kids. We are hoping that a move to the Fallbrook area would provide them with more open space, and allow us to live off less. Here is my question: Is this area a simpler life? I do not want to make a lifestyle change just to find out my new neighbors also talk only about kitchen countertops and consume consume consume. Are the schools and baseball teams and such alive and well in Fallbrook?
It's hard to plan a new life using only the internet! I'd love some 'feet on the ground' perspective!
Thanks.

If anyone happens to be an elementary school teacher, I'd also love to know if the job market seems to be opening up. We are hoping that current home equity plus my salary as a teacher would get us by and my husband could find a job he loves, not just for the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 06:58 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
I am not sure Fallbrook is your Nirvana. Yes, we are out of he commute zone and over-all craziness of SD, with Fallbrook having the small homegrown atmosphere, BUT....your neighbors are NOT going to be all that different than your current neighbors. There is a lot of money in Fallbrook...just spread out. True, you will get a little bit more for your money, with possibly bigger lots/ acreage.
And, being out of the commute zone...may make it more difficult for your husband when and if he does find work.
I can not help you on the school situation, as my kids are long gone from schools. I do know, there is no shortage of teachers in the area.
Before making up your mind, I would suggest making at the very least, a day trip to our area. We absolutely love it, but I am not sure it is what you are looking for.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:29 PM

I would love to move up to gold country outside of Sacramento, but my family is all here and I don't really want to pull my kids from their cousins that far away. So if you have any better suggestions that keep me close enough to family in San Clemente I'd love to hear them!

Old 10-17-2013, 08:46 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Forget about getting a teaching job. There's an abundance of teachers that are subbing in several districts that are waiting to get their foot in the door of one of them. Plus, any teachers that are laid off have first priority applying for any vacancies.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:10 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Forget about getting a teaching job. There's an abundance of teachers that are subbing in several districts that are waiting to get their foot in the door of one of them. Plus, any teachers that are laid off have first priority applying for any vacancies.
It does depend on the type of teacher you are, experience levels, etc. Gen ed is hard right now and has been for many years. However a mod/severe special ed teacher with experience and a masters will get multiple FT offers right now, and the sub phone rings off the hook.

If you're already established in OC, I don't think you are trading off much by moving to San Diego County. Is not all that much cheaper. There is a lot of money in North San Diego County and pretty much everyone's life is expensive and hectic these days. As ShelbyGirl1 said, you will get more house and more land, but I also think you would be doing a lot more driving.

If you have little kids, newer areas close to ballfields, schools and basic shopping, are generally pretty good places to live, and OC has a lot of that. Carlsbad, or similar, San Marcos, Poway areas are good if your husband can find a better job here.

If he is earning a high salary these type of job searches and transitions take a long time and are pretty stressful. I think to materially change your lifestyle you would need to earn a relatively high income in a low COL place, which would allow you to downshift your careers and enjoy life a bit more. A consulting business or a large corp in a small north midwestern city (there are tons of them). But I don't think that is an easy thing to do anywhere on the west coast right now.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 10-17-2013 at 09:22 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 01:56 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 795,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJH1507 View Post
. . . I do not want to make a lifestyle change just to find out my new neighbors also talk only about kitchen countertops and consume consume consume. . . . .So if you have any better suggestions that keep me close enough to family in San Clemente I'd love to hear them!
. . . .let me take a wild guess . . . Talega? Our family are also Talega refugees . . .made the move two years ago to Mt Helix east of La Mesa and we would never go back. Much more space, much more character and charm to the house and neighborhood, and neighbors who have real jobs and talk about real things.

But . . . it's not any cheaper or more laid-back . . . I still have the same job, just now based in our San Diego office rather than Irvine . . . I honestly don't know of any desirable areas within driving range of San Clemente that would allow you a lower COL and a slower-paced life . . .sorry . . .

Old 10-18-2013, 04:05 PM

Maybe I could keep the same pace if I had a different view when I got home! Thanks!

Old 10-20-2013, 05:16 PM

1,600 posts, read 939,244 times
Sell your house and downsize or rent. A lot of potential happiness is sucked away when you're overextended financially.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:23 AM

72 posts, read 148,795 times
I moved from Los Angeles to Fallbrook last year. It does have a small town vibe to it but as Shelby girl says, it is mainly comprised of big houses on big lots full of people who keep to themselves. I have not had any granite discussions with the neighbors; I haven't had many discussions with the neighbors period as they keep to themselves. From what I've seen it's an older crowd here as well not as many kids.

Also the jobs do not pay as well in San Diego. My husband initially transferred from his office in Los Angeles to downtown San Diego, they cut his pay 10k for the same job. He ended up working in LA during the week.

I think there are better areas to live if you have kids, I don't have any and neither does anyone on my street as far as I've seen. But as the above poster suggested, maybe sell your house and get one with less of a mortgage burden. Or if you really want to get out of OC, which I could completely understand, since you say you are creative definitely check out MT Helix, that was one of our other choices. There just weren't any houses at the time we were looking that worked, but it has a much artsier vibe than Fallbrook. Encinitas also has a much more laid-back vibe, but not laid-back real estate prices. Make sure to visit all the areas, in my case I've only lived in apartments in cities, and my condo in Los Angeles cost more than a decent sized house in Fallbrook so I wanted a real change. I wanted something similar to the south of France, and the Fallbrook Hills definitely has that feel. But it is a long drive to downtown SD,so be prepared.
If you have enough money, you can definitely get more bang for your buck in Fallbrook than certain areas of OC. If you can float while your husband looks for his dream job, rent one of the houses here and see how you like it? Not sure there are tremendous opportunities for teachers these days, it's tight everywhere and chances are you'd have to go outside of Fallbrook for that.
Also make sure if you do consider Fallbrook to try to get a house, whether you rent or buy, that is in the Bonsall school district if you have young children. Better school then Fallbrook from what I hear across the board. And many south Fallbrook houses fall in the Bonsall school system. A realtor could help you with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego