Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 09:00 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times

Advertisements

Kids have been dying to visit legoland for years and we're hoping to make it down early next year. They have a week off in February and in April. I would prefer to go down in February because I imagine there are just less people at that time. I've seen that it's San Diego's wettest month, but I don't know what that means to someone who's from Seattle . If it's the same drizzle-rain we get here, then that's cool with me.. especially if it's in the 60's. Any opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 10:13 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
April better than February but February at Legoland works fine. How many full days will you visit for? If 2 or more, you'll be fine in the unlikely event of a single rainout day. Every day of the year is a great day of the year in SD.
Legoland is an outstanding park. In contrast, Universal Studios, Seaworld suck.
How old are kids? Also Birch Aquarium, a few hours at the beach (too cold too swim but fun to hang out), SD Zoo are other kid-friendly options, though I'm sure you have zoos and aquariums in Seattle.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:29 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
^ what Bloom said

Old 10-20-2013, 09:05 AM

813 posts, read 1,272,891 times
We were in San Diego in April 2011. We were there during a wonderful stretch of weather that resulted in 80 degree weather on the weekend... it was fantastic!

I know that is not common in April, but your chances of that kind of day are greater than February, I would think.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Every day of the year is a great day of the year in SD.
That's what I've heard

It's funny, the people who seem to have it the hardest after moving to Seattle are commonly from SOCAL. Personally, I LOVE our weather, but there are very few months of the year I can just run out the door without thinking of coats, sweaters, hats and umbrellas.

My kids are newly 7 and 10. Both are complete lego freaks (actually I am too, it was my favorite toy growing up). We visit our local lego store at least every couple of weeks (almost always just to look, not buy). I've read on other forums that legoland is kinda geared toward younger kids but I think mine will still enjoy it. I also want to go to the zoo. I don't care for ours whereas I've heard the zoo in San Diego is just amazing. I took the kids to the Shedd in Chicago a couple months ago so I don't think I'm interested in the aquarium (and yes, we also have one).

I don't know what more San Diego can offer us. We spend a lot of time loitering in coffee shops and cafes. I love hiking and nature (which is why I adore Seattle). I'm thinking of spending 4 days in SD and 4 days in LA (visit family and maybe go to universal studios).

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like February will be fine.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:23 PM

Seattle weather: Seems you get no extreme cold, not like Northeast and also no heavy rain. Cloudy is under-rated as one can actually spend more time outdoors than in intense melanoma-producing sun of SoCal. But how long and when is the light rain + colder season there as seems that is the problematic one??

Legoland - Geared for all incl. adults. They have great landscaping too fwiw.
Zoo - I like SD Zoo incl. the landscaping but also like smaller more intimate, less touristed zoos like Franklin Park Zoo in Boston (except when the gorillas escape and harm people).
Aquarium - the Birch here is small, good, and under-rated with an amazing view.
Hikes - I strongly recommend Torrey Pines State Park, Cabrillo National Monument (now open, no thanks to the treasonous Tea Partiers and GOP lap poodles), the beaches. Cabrillo has picturesque tide-pooling but better creatures can be found by walking north up the beach from La Jolla Shore in front of oceanographic institute (relatively less picturesque). The seals in La Jolla are a worthwhile popular stop except if the anti-seal crazies are acting up.
LA - skip corporate Universal and go to the La Brea tar pits and museum.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
no thanks to the treasonous Tea Partiers and GOP lap poodles
&

Seattle winter is like what winter is for the rest of the country... starts sometime in December and lasts until March. Of course, we're really cloudy before and after that time frame, but at least one or more of the contributing factors of winter weather (rain, wind or chill) are not nearly as pervasive. It is said by many here that summer doesn't really start until after July 4th and after 3 years I would say it's pretty accurate. I didn't turn off the heat until June 2nd. Jackets weren't stowed away until June 18th. Clouds disappeared right before July 1st. They came back early this year to many's displeasure (but not mine )

Wonderful tips!!!

THANKS.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:57 PM

I visited for a day in April and it was light raining and cold; not good. When does that light rain And cold season start and end?
Does Seattle have a liberal nonthinking conformity or other more center POVs?
Are you a UFO nut?

Old 10-20-2013, 08:46 PM

Some will tell you it ends when your imagination begins.

Honestly, not sure I can give you a straight answer. It depends on what you consider "not good". I've picked up the kids on the last day of school wearing sweaters, but maybe that's just me.

So yeah, we have both the liberal nonthinking conforming kind and the centered sorts... and get this, we even have the liberal thinking types too (!!!!).

UFO's? YES! I saw one, I did! I even had it registered (although, admittedly I wasn't in Seattle at the time):

[url=http://ufowisconsin.com/county/reports/rindex2008.html]2008 Wisconsin UFO Reports[/url]

But how did you know?????

Oh yes, being a Seattlite means we're all crazy about UFO's... so we've taken our kids here many times:
[url=http://www.greenwoodspacetravelsupply.com/]Greenwood Space Travel Supply Co.[/url] (It's more than just a store, it's an experience!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego