Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:40 PM

115 posts, read 208,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post

One of these days I really need to try to separate true "groceries" with everything else in the household. Now that we discovered Costco maybe it will be easier
Costco is on our essential list!! it has been the salvation for us in many ways! And I love those hot dogs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
I do love Costco but you gotta be realllly careful there. I think my next couch or office chair will be coming from there...online is good too if you haven't gotten there yet.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I wish I was a couponer..
We tried it before, the problem is that we were limiting our choices to a "coupon" budget. The only coupons we use are the ones in Costco, we always find a lot of stuff that we use, want or need..

Old 10-23-2013, 07:50 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
2k is about where I'm comfortable in terms of having that available after all else is paid, and that is about what I'd have. Maybe a little less as part of that usually goes to whatever emergency happens that month, Dr. bill, etc. I usually "live" on around $1200 I'd say but would feel uncomfortable planning on that little.

I think I'll need to get a little more purposeful with the groceries. I wish I was a couponer. I like good, fresh food too but usually when I buy a bag of salad some of it goes bad before I eat it, same with other fresh items. I like to eat meat before freezing it as well, and usually find myself suspicious of the meat I have in the freezer, lol.
Yeah its totally lifestyle driven really. 2k at least IMHO, for one or even two people should be more than enough to go out to lunch during the week, squeeze in a few dinners per mo and then other little knick knacks outside the normal monthly grind of bills and stuff for the fridge.
Sure there are things that pop up, but we have a rainy day fund which is not our savings account.

My paychecks get split into different accounts on payday after taxes etc (savings, rainy day, investment/trading, IRA.) These are fixed and come out of my salary. I never see this money in my checking account. Whatever is in my checking account outside of bills is more or less 'discretionary' and we dont even come close to blowing that out ever. But we are very fortunate and know things can change at any time. Its unwise to think it wont (not saying you rgb, but in general)

Working in cellular, one minute you are up next minute you are down. Trends change FAST and while we do pretty well now, there are never any guarantees.

IMHO the best thing anyone can do for themselves, if they are spenders, is to just cut it off at the source. If you get direct deposit just get another bank account like an online account and just have eve $20 go in there every check. You will barely notice it and it wont be in your main banking line. Its kind of a simple safeguard if you are an out of sight out of mind kind of person.
My wife, I love her to pieces and she is brilliant, but was terrible at managing her finances. I am no financial wiz, but have a system that seems sound. Since we made these little tweaks before I took over finances completely, she had thousands in that little account after several years and really she was shocked because she never saw it

Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 PM

yeah I have a similiar system that I'm adding too (I just opened a money market account for the rainy day fund). My direct deposit goes into two accounts, one is for bills and the other is for whatever, but there is usually some in the 'bills' account that is left over, that can get confusing. I also have other retirement funds that I never see.

I get paid twice a month (this is probably the hardest part for me) it's the 10th and the 23rd (don't ask). anyway rent comes out of the 23rd check which usually makes things hard because that is a longer time period, than the other period to start going low in my accounts.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:23 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by procapital View Post
We tried it before, the problem is that we were limiting our choices to a "coupon" budget. The only coupons we use are the ones in Costco, we always find a lot of stuff that we use, want or need..
I have a Costco membership through my employer but can also make purchases for personal use. We primarily use it for the home and auto insurance savings. We purchase a limited number of food items there, mostly because the food items tend to be highly packaged/processed, namebrand/overpriced (ie. ones we wouldn't otherwise purchase) and in such large quantities that we want to avoid overpurchasing. Costco does have very nice sales from time to time, though. I've walked in and out of Costco with total purchases under $30 too many times to count! Costco is a part of the rotation but we could never do our primary grocery shopping there.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Costco is a part of the rotation but we could never do our primary grocery shopping there.
Most of our produce come from grocery stores and farmer markets, however, I think Costco is good for some dry goods and grains, pastas, bottle or can goods, etc..

I buy my office chairs, desk, and office supplies at costco.

Also, some electronics and kitchen equipment are better priced.

Also, seasonal items and tools are great...

I buy my wife tires at costco (she has a Lexus) and there are well priced, I can't find tires for my vehicle, so I have to pay premium at mercedes.

And I love Costco for my $1.50 hotdog with a soda...it is a treat for me...

So, I guess we are a Costco family :-)

George

Old 10-24-2013, 05:13 PM

yeah, when I make my contingency plans for when I do run out of money I figure I can live off the 1.50 polish sausages for awhile, lol.

I do buy some food there as well but try to be realistic about my purchases. the produce is usually too plentiful for me but dry goods and some of the meat I can do, along with some of the deli type items that can last awhile (I have some clam chowder waiting to be opened that was bought about a month ago). Stuff like that, can keep but especially if its packed in such a way you can use some now, some later. I also bought 8 cans of olives, but hey I really like olives....some of the clothing and even bedding/throw rugs are good.

What I like about Costco is generally a better quality item for the price and some of the road shows...I will need new tires soon hopefully that will work out too. and just learned my car insurance will go down if I make the move to Carlsbad!

Old 10-24-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
yeah, when I make my contingency plans for when I do run out of money I figure I can live off the 1.50 polish sausages for awhile, lol.
LOL, I just told my wife those exact words!!

Quote:
and just learned my car insurance will go down if I make the move to Carlsbad!
Seriously? why, and where do you live now?

Old 10-24-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by procapital View Post
LOL, I just told my wife those exact words!!

Seriously? why, and where do you live now?
Yep, Channel Islands Harbor, specifically (Oxnard). It will go down almost $100 for the 6 month period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego