Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 04:57 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,437,870 times

Advertisements

Problem with Seaworld to me isn't the park but the treatment of the whales. Whales of all kind, are far too intelligent and aware to be stuck in a tank somewhere for most of their life. Living in Seattle I have been luck to see these creatures on whale watching tours and magical. These creatures have a natural curiosity. Sometimes they will swim next to your boat or canoe and check you out. It should be banned to have whales in captivity like that other then nursing and rehabilitation reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 09:58 AM

148 posts, read 277,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Problem with Seaworld to me isn't the park but the treatment of the whales. Whales of all kind, are far too intelligent and aware to be stuck in a tank somewhere for most of their life. Living in Seattle I have been luck to see these creatures on whale watching tours and magical. These creatures have a natural curiosity. Sometimes they will swim next to your boat or canoe and check you out. It should be banned to have whales in captivity like that other then nursing and rehabilitation reasons.
why stop there, should we close all the zoo or go further banning ppl from keeping any animal as pets?

Old 02-29-2016, 02:58 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,437,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo4fun View Post
why stop there, should we close all the zoo or go further banning ppl from keeping any animal as pets?
Thats not where im coming from. Whales are among some of the most intelligent creatures on earth. Highly developed since of awareness, and even emotions. These whales in Seaworld are visibly unhealthy compared to whales in the wild. They are smaller and live much shorter lives. Pets are a different story. Also, there are rules pertaining the possession of large or wild animals like wolves. Many states have laws that you must provide so many acreage to own a certain animal so they have to space to move and run freely. These tanks that they put whales in are like moving you into a small closet. These whales in the wild swim thousands of miles every year and they are now stuck in a tank that are only 40 feet deep.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:21 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,359,457 times
Sea world has a marketing problem. It is a crappy carnival atmosphere when it should be conservation oriented. It's stuck in the 90's

Old 03-01-2016, 11:59 AM

6,882 posts, read 8,859,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Sea world has a marketing problem. It is a crappy carnival atmosphere when it should be conservation oriented. It's stuck in the 90's
Yes, local Birch and Chula Vista Nature Center have an educational and conservation orientation.
Legoland for the carnival.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:23 PM

9,784 posts, read 11,441,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
So True!
I was Commenting to my kids that, "the place hasn't changed to much".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Yes, local Birch and Chula Vista Nature Center have an educational and conservation orientation.
Legoland for the carnival.
This^^^

Old 03-03-2016, 02:13 PM

96 posts, read 127,545 times
Not defending SeaWorld, I think that most people have very little understanding of the life in wilderness which is a harsh battle for survival every day. It is a constant fight to outsmart predators, fight infection, viruses and parasites, fight more hostile members in own group. And there is no free healthcare provided by SeaWorld Inc. If you disagree, try to spend several days in wilderness on your own when nobody will provide you food or heat water for you. Come back and we will talk again how wonderful is life in wilderness. Again, I do not defend SeaWorld, I just want to put things in perspective.

Last edited by L-Costa; 03-03-2016 at 02:48 PM..

Old 03-03-2016, 04:25 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,359,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Costa View Post
Not defending SeaWorld, I think that most people have very little understanding of the life in wilderness which is a harsh battle for survival every day. It is a constant fight to outsmart predators, fight infection, viruses and parasites, fight more hostile members in own group. And there is no free healthcare provided by SeaWorld Inc. If you disagree, try to spend several days in wilderness on your own when nobody will provide you food or heat water for you. Come back and we will talk again how wonderful is life in wilderness. Again, I do not defend SeaWorld, I just want to put things in perspective.
I'll say it even more plainly, I have no problem with whales in captivity as long as they are treated well and there is a conservation / scientific purpose behind their capture (which Seaworld has done for a long time). The problem is they are held in a big swimming pool and you can buy 3 foot hot dogs and beer in a trumpet next to the funnel cakes and the neon swirly thing. The place is so tacky it's just ridiculous. Go to the San Diego Zoo, that's all animals in captivity too, no one makes a movie about them? It's 100% a marketing problem, those execs should all get canned.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:22 PM

162 posts, read 211,634 times
Tilly is dying according to news reports. For anyone who has not watched Black Fish- Tilikum was the main whale in the movie. According to the movie- even though Tilly was known to be unpredictable he was kept around for his large size and had fathered most of the new whales in captivity.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:48 PM

50,059 posts, read 46,599,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Costa View Post
I literally spend 2 months a year in the sticks. It's amazing the nasty stuff you can get by not being able to take regular showers. Fungus, rashes, food illnesses and other nice things. I had cheaper boots that allowed both of my big toe nails to flex in half losing both nails. Mother Nature she scary.

I also saw a black jaguar for the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego