Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:22 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times

Advertisements

Would be interested in anyone's opinion who has seen the film and it's potential impact on Sea World here in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 10:26 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
I haven't seen the film, but SeaWorld is a subpar attraction versus so much other greatness in SD.
I guess SW appeals to a certain segment of America (which is unlikely to view that type of film).
Ironically, I have nostalgia for a SW visit in Florida when I was a child in the 1970s.

Last edited by bloom; 11-05-2013 at 11:04 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 10:42 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
I saw it recently. I hope Sea World goes bankrupt

Old 11-05-2013, 11:13 AM

162 posts, read 212,959 times
The impact will all depend on if they keep the whales at Sea World or not. While the park has other attractions Shamu is the biggest draw. There is no Sea World without Shamu. Time will tell I guess. I saw part of Black Fish, it was extremely sad.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:20 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
I saw it and was horrified, although none of it came as a surprise. I've lived in SD my whole life (43 years and counting) and I've been to SW once on a grade school field trip. I would guess most people haven't seen the movie, so I'd say the economic impact on Sea World San Diego will be $0.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:23 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
It's like a lot of these attractions. If you get enough people pissed off and enough people who just follow along, it'll go the likes of the Circus and carnivals. They still exist, but barely. There was a time when The Circus show was a huge event in the summer everywhere. But animal abuse and everything else and these days it's hard to find any that are any good.

It's the same for zoos and everything else as well. A lot of people don't like zoos because of the cages and treatment. So if they become the majority of opinions, most people follow along and these places will struggle to survive.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:48 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Most recent article.

My Problem with 'Blackfish' | Rope of Silicon

Old 11-05-2013, 12:17 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
It's like a lot of these attractions. If you get enough people pissed off and enough people who just follow along, it'll go the likes of the Circus and carnivals. They still exist, but barely. There was a time when The Circus show was a huge event in the summer everywhere. But animal abuse and everything else and these days it's hard to find any that are any good.

It's the same for zoos and everything else as well. A lot of people don't like zoos because of the cages and treatment. So if they become the majority of opinions, most people follow along and these places will struggle to survive.
I will take you down to TJ Pedro circus's galore with Tigers, Lions, and other animals for $5 dlls a head. My children actually have more fun down there when I take them to places. California is way too uptight when it comes to rules, safety and these other types of issues and its understandable to a point, but it gets to the point that you just can't have fun anymore because they are trying to save you from yourself.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:19 AM

162 posts, read 212,959 times
Default Anyone go to Sea World often?

Hi guys! I know this thread is 3 years old, but I just logged on to City-Data after that long Does anyone visit Sea World often? I was wondering if Black Fish did indeed have any impact. I am in Minnesota so I am not in the local area, but did hear on the news Sea World would not be allowed to breed anymore killer whales- but that Sea World was appealing. When we had all year passes in 2001-2004 & again in 2009-2011 when we would go Sea World was still PACKED to the rim with people. Curious if this has had any effect on the tourism there?

Old 02-25-2016, 09:34 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chili View Post
Hi guys! I know this thread is 3 years old, but I just logged on to City-Data after that long Does anyone visit Sea World often? I was wondering if Black Fish did indeed have any impact. I am in Minnesota so I am not in the local area, but did hear on the news Sea World would not be allowed to breed anymore killer whales- but that Sea World was appealing. When we had all year passes in 2001-2004 & again in 2009-2011 when we would go Sea World was still PACKED to the rim with people. [/b]Curious if this has had any effect on the tourism there?[b]
Not one bit
We were there last weekend and it was pretty crowded. Other Sea World locations are struggling and Sea World stock is in the tank, but the San Diego Location is just fine imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego