Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 12:23 PM

93 posts, read 422,506 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I currently live in Phoenix Arizona, but I plan to attend SDSU to finish my degree. I have been to SD before, but I was wondering, how close is the beach to SDSU? Ideally, I would like to live as near to the beach as possible. What are some good neigborhoods within a 10 mile radius of SDSU? I have my own car so a 20-30 minute commute in rush hour is not a big deal. I am 22 and I would like to be in a safe area that is close to nightlife, the beach, and SDSU. I plan on looking for a job as a waitress/bartender so I am looking for something somewhat near tourist areas. My max rent is $1500. Thanks so much for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 12:57 PM

233 posts, read 885,595 times
Default beach are close to SDSU

I think you should look for something in Pacific, Mission or Ocean Beaches. The commuste won't be so bad and there is alot of places to waitress and bartend.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:54 PM

Thanks! I'll look into those areas. If I was to move to Pacific, Mission, or Ocean beach, about how long of a comute would I be looking at to SDSU? Is the restaurant industry decent around there? As much as I would love to be near the beach, my main concern is the job market. Would I be able to find a job in a busy, upscale bar or restaurant there? If not, then what would be the best area to look in for jobs? Also, how far is Chula Vista from SDSU? I know its not really near the beach, but it seems like you might get more for your money there as far as apartment rentals go. Is it a decent/safe area? Thanks again for the advice!

Old 11-22-2007, 10:55 PM

812 posts, read 4,081,936 times
Actually, tons of state kids live in pb.... A very common thing to do.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:53 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel127 View Post
Also, how far is Chula Vista from SDSU? I know its not really near the beach, but it seems like you might get more for your money there as far as apartment rentals go. Is it a decent/safe area? Thanks again for the advice!
Given your situation, I wouldn't live in Chula Vista. You would be commuting a pretty fair distance to both school and your likely places of employment and at least one of those commutes would probably be directly with the main flow of rush hour traffic.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:09 PM

74 posts, read 370,916 times
If you move to Mission or Ocean Beach the commute is more direct about 15 miles down eastbound I-8. If you move to Pacific Beach you either have to drive down Garnet to I-5 south to meet I-8 or drive thru Mission Bay park to get to I-8. Figure a few more miles and another 10 minutes on the commute.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:39 PM

So I was researching rentals on craigslist and can anyone tell me more about Oceanside, Carlsbad area? It seems like there area quite a few rentals in those areas and they look nice but about how long would the commute to SDSU be? As a young 22 yr old student, planning on working in the Hospitality industry( I plan on working as a server at a restaurant), and attending SDSU, what areas should I look at? I have heard Pacific, Mission and Ocean Beaches, can anyone tell me more about those areas? Are there decent jobs and apartments there? Good nightlife, safe areas? thanks for the input!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:25 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
It's most definitely possible to live at the beach and commute to SDSU. You will sit in some traffic, and it might take an hour to get there sometimes, but thousands do it every day.

Most out-of-town kids move to the beach (PB) or the College Area. It all depends what you are looking for. If you want beer (PB & MB), or weed (OB). You also haven't mentioned a budget.

If you want a quiet neighborhood-type situation, all of those areas have nice blocks away from the main drag with nice rentals. You just have to be careful at the beach because it is expensive and there are a lot of crappy apartments down there (falling apart).

Most of the SDSU kids are on the east side of PB towards Mission Bay High and also along Ingraham street on the north side of the bay, the area a mile or so to the north of Garnet is quieter and more homeowners.

OB is funkier and more laid back with all the stoners and hippies. There are a lot of SDSU kids there too and the bar scene is not as crazy as PB. Point Loma is the adjacent residential area and is highly recommended

Also Crown Point is right there and is super nice, but spendy. La Jolla and North County is really nice and really spendy and the commute sometimes really sucks.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:45 PM

I was thinking maybe 1500 a month max, for a one bedroom apt, will I be able to find something decent for that?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:48 PM

8 posts, read 36,159 times
Pacific Beach , Mission Beach, Point Loma, UTC-La Jolla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego